What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OUR ROSTER IS *&^%

Tiger05

First Grade
Looking over our players this is the way I see it.

Moses Mbye -- I reckon we stick with him here. He has pace and I reckon heart. You could move him to 6 assuming you can punt Reynolds and get a fullback.
Mahe Fonua -- I love the guy but he is slow. The best hit-ups in the comp from a winger but ideally we'd have a better option.
Robert Jennings -- Probably needs to be replaced.
Esan Marsters -- I suppose we have to keep him but ideally we should spend money on a better player.
Corey Thompson -- Definite keeper.
Josh Reynolds/Benji Marshall -- Benji should retire this year. Reynolds might not be the option but on the dollars we are paying him we don't have a choice.
Luke Brooks -- Definite keeper. Needs some better players around him.
Ben Matulino -- No issues. He makes his tackles and hits the ball up. We shouldn't though renew his contract.
Robbie Farah/Jacob Liddle -- Liddle to me is clearly a great option. He is unproven but he always looks good if he is fit.
Alex Twal -- Definite keeper.
Ryan Matterson -- Definite keeper.
Chris Lawrence -- Will need to be replaced soon. A great option for us.Josh Aloiai -- Definite keeper. The ability to dent the line.

Elijah Taylor -- A really good option but a role player in a quality team.
Thomas Mikaele -- Similar to Aloiai.
Matt Eisenhuth -- He is good but a role player.
Luke Garner -- Decent. Worth persevering with. His defence needs a lot of work. If it doesn't improve he will cost us games.
Paul Momirovski -- Probably a reserve grader.
Chris McQueen -- A dud signing.
Michael Chee-Kam - Heaps of upside but dumb plays. Probably worth sticking with.
Russel Packer -- a decent player but again a role player. We definitely shouldn't re-sign him.

Tiger05

First Grade
I think we really need to focus on our outside backs. A big decision needs to be made on Marsters. He isn't a consistent player at all but he has the ability to bust the line. The big question is do you persist with him or not.

Fonua/Jennings/Nofo are all pretty average. They can do the job but ideally we'd have better options.

Our middle forwards need to improve but Aloiai and Mikaele are two guys who we can build around. Our edge forward options to me are good - Matterson, Lawrence, Garner and Chee-Kam are all good options.

I suppose another option is to play Matterson at lock and move Mikaele and Aloiai into the prop rotation.

I honestly think it's just a matter of getting a couple of better players and slowly improving. We could really do with a gun junior outside back.

Vozzy

Juniors
I'm pretty sure early in 2017 Trent Robinson had the balls to drop Latrell to reserve grade cos he was just coasting and listening to the media hyping him up and gave him a reality check and he it's since then he has gone another level. It actually what some players need to find the spark.

Some of the tigers players I notice like MBye actually have been getting some good raps from the likes of Brandy and other commentators and I don't know what they are seeing but it's as if some players at the club the last 5 years just play with a lack of effort or get lazy in a way because they are guaranteed selections which is mind boggling when you are always in a team that is in the bottom 8.

Its the same when we play teams who finish bottom 5 and we give the most rubbish performance you can get eggs the Bulldogs game. This happens every year. It's why I really think it's a 5 year plan to turn things around. Some players play like they think they are so much better then the team that runs last and by the end of the season the wooden spooners only wins end up costing us a place in the top 8.

So its not the roosters game that bothered me its the games against the lesser teams when we dish rubbish year after year. Roosters whole side is like a rep team we just don't have enough players to beat them even if we play well.

Tiger05

First Grade
So its not the roosters game that bothered me its the games against the lesser teams when we dish rubbish year after year. Roosters whole side is like a rep team we just don't have enough players to beat them even if we play well.

It doesn't bother me either. They have top tier talent all over the park. If we play our best and they don't fire then we can beat them. If Latrell gets on a role we have no chance.

Put Latrell in our team and we would be a lot better.

macnaz

Staff member
Here's a fun fact, Nofa played most of his junior rep footy at fb over Teddy who played wing. Nofa just never given a solid crack at fb in 1sts
Another fun fact .. he cant even decide how to defend on one little corner of the field imagine him with the whole field to defend , and also dictating where the front line should be when he is clueless even organising himself ?
Plus the guy is Edward Scissorhands catching a ball..
Maybe his previous coaches realised this and gave up on him as a fullback.

The unknown

Juniors
Another fun fact .. he cant even decide how to defend on one little corner of the field imagine him with the whole field to defend , and also dictating where the front line should be when he is clueless even organising himself ?

But that isn't a fun fact ;)

I did take that into consideration, but I'd rather him hide at the back where he has clear vision of the front line and he doesn't have to make quick decisions like on the wing.

What is there to lose? lose more games? we are doing that anyway.

Whilst there is more organising out the back, you have more time than you do on the wing

macnaz

Staff member
I'm pretty sure early in 2017 Trent Robinson had the balls to drop Latrell to reserve grade cos he was just coasting and listening to the media hyping him up and gave him a reality check and he it's since then he has gone another level. It actually what some players need to find the spark.

Some of the tigers players I notice like MBye actually have been getting some good raps from the likes of Brandy and other commentators and I don't know what they are seeing but it's as if some players at the club the last 5 years just play with a lack of effort or get lazy in a way because they are guaranteed selections which is mind boggling when you are always in a team that is in the bottom 8.

Its the same when we play teams who finish bottom 5 and we give the most rubbish performance you can get eggs the Bulldogs game. This happens every year. It's why I really think it's a 5 year plan to turn things around. Some players play like they think they are so much better then the team that runs last and by the end of the season the wooden spooners only wins end up costing us a place in the top 8.

Sort of agree.. but I'm happy losing games to superior teams like the rorters IF we play WELL. Its when we hand games to teams without them having to fight for it.. regardless of wether it's a top or bottom 8 side.
The dogs for example are below us on the ladder but their commitment cant be questioned.

macnaz

Staff member
But that isn't a fun fact ;)

I did take that into consideration, but I'd rather him hide at the back where he has clear vision of the front line and he doesn't have to make quick decisions like on the wing.

What is there to lose? lose more games? we are doing that anyway.
I suppose you can look at it that way ..but keep in mind probably 11 out of 16 teams are all as Shithouse as us so it's still a good possibility we make the 8 .. not that anything happens after we get there mind you. So f**k it ! I think you may be right though..I'd rather be entertained and see what happens

Tiger05

First Grade

I reckon the idea of Nofo at fullback is never going to work. He is a great runner of the footy at times.

Tiger05

First Grade
I suppose you can look at it that way ..but keep in mind probably 11 out of 16 teams are all as Shithouse as us so it's still a good possibility we make the 8 .. not that anything happens after we get there mind you. So f**k it ! I think you may be right though..I'd rather be entertained and see what happens

We aren't that bad. It goes the Rorters then daylight.

The unknown

Juniors
I reckon the idea of Nofo at fullback is never going to work. He is a great runner of the footy at times.

Nofa has been our best meter eater every year. He averaged atleast 15 runs a game, Mbye doesn't even average 10.

Mbye is also probably on 2x the amount of money.

Like I said before, wtf is there to lose?

macnaz

Staff member
End of the day there is only a select few teams that can buy all the talent they need. Even though the other teams are in the same predicament as us most have unearthed some future quality players for the future. Weststigers have been creating great players since our inception BUT we as a club have in the last few years produced ZERO. I'm not sure what or who at the club in the talent dept has changed ? , but it needs to change again to people with a better eye for quality.

Magpies Forever

Juniors
End of the day there is only a select few teams that can buy all the talent they need. Even though the other teams are in the same predicament as us most have unearthed some future quality players for the future. Weststigers have been creating great players since our inception BUT we as a club have in the last few years produced ZERO. I'm not sure what or who at the club in the talent dept has changed ? , but it needs to change again to people with a better eye for quality.

Yes, weren't we told Egan and co were fantastic talent spotters after they replaced McDonald? Haven't seen much evidence of it.

Tiger05

First Grade
Nofa has been our best meter eater every year. He averaged atleast 15 runs a game, Mbye doesn't even average 10.

Mbye is also probably on 2x the amount of money.

Like I said before, wtf is there to lose?

I think you've answered your question. We are paying Mbye well and we need to stick with him. He is quick with plenty of ability. As soon as Liddle came on last game and we had some forward momentum Mbye came into the game.

I like Nofo but he is pretty clearly at this point not a fullback. The position would be too much for him in first grade.

Tiger05

First Grade

We need to produce some quality juniors don't we. Mikaele looks the goods but we need some speedsters.

The unknown

Juniors
As soon as Liddle came on last game and we had some forward momentum Mbye came into the game.

I think you underestimate how much the Roosters clocked off in that final 15, they looked like they couldn't give a shit to me. Yet they STILL scored two tries in that period

The unknown

Juniors
Our 4 development players coming through have been touted as some of the best young talent coming through, Madden, Taulau, Bradley dominated the SG Ball comp last year

Although they are probably a couple years away surely atleast 1 of them can come good

Magpies Forever

Juniors
We need to produce some quality juniors don't we. Mikaele looks the goods but we need some speedsters.

Yes, with our large junior base I cant see why there is such a dearth of big speedy wingers and rangy back rowers in the background. Has south western and inner west Sydney been hit by a generation of small genes in the population? Where have the bigger ones gone? Union / AFL?

I’m hearing you, but I also think other teams have the same opinion of the WT, in that we are a lesser team, and when you look at our roster and the deficiencies in it ,they are probably right.