What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Our Slump and it is a Slump

New_Era

Juniors
Weyman and Smith will be our Props,
Merrin & Saffy will Share the Rols with Those 2.

Prior , Creagh and Scott will share the Backrow positions
Young will Fill in for Priddis until Fien comes back and performs.

I have been telling people since Day 1, Green and Thorby dont make the
grade Too Slow, and Not Very good readers in defense, You need to have some very quick lateral movers in Defence, They just dont have it.

In WEYMAN and J SMITH - We have an awesome Front Row.
in Merrin and Saffy we have Awesome backup.

Prior - Creagh and Scott give us that Edge in Size, Speed and Defensive capability. These guys are the reason as to why we are over 100 points better in defence than every other team in the comp.

Where we are falling down in at the moment is, in Line Speed from our Forwards putting us in a Position for an Attacking Kick. Its just not happening.

We have Missed Weyman and Smith, and without these guys, in the Wet conditions, we are Ratsh*t.

We have been unable to use our Star Studded backline, because of the rain, and the Crisp movements and speed these guys have, has not been utilised.

Im telling you now, if we play in Good weather, no team can go with us, in the Wet, they all have a chance to win. Unless we play at Full strength and with the right mindset.

Our Kicking game is Poor, because Soward is standing 20 Metres back, he needs a Dummy half who can pass it back to him at Speed . Thats fine in the Dry weather, but No chance in the wet. Dont blame Dean Young, he is not a Dummy half, he is a makeshift Dummy half. We Need Fien back in order to get the Cleaner passes away, as well as a Great kicking option from Dummy half. Jamie needs to get the ball on the Run and kick, using his momentum, the ball will travel further.

We are relying to much on Sowards kicking game, t its draining him and the rest of the team.

The guys need to be more positive, Jamie needs to Get in between 2 defenders, use his speed to attract both and offload to Support, taking 2 defenders , at the moment, he is scared.

Just watch Todd Carney the last 2 games, He runs between defenders, beats one, attracts 2 others, and lets the overlap do the talking.

If we dont find our Mojo soon, this could be another year, that we let slip by, and its not choking, its just that we may not be good enough.

Darius Boyd, has been our saviour this season. We need Darius to be sniffing around the Rucks in the early part of the Sets, in order to make yards, and take advantage of opportunities that arise.

our Strenghts, is in our 2nd phase play, we have the Best players in the comp for this sort of Game. Soward, and Horby are great in 2nd phase as is Darius, Coops and B Morris.

The Kick from the Scrum with Brett Morris, where has that been this season, ( Quietly , I Hope they save it for the Semis, when the need it only).

You need to shock teams, to not be so Systematic all the time. Short Kickoffs. Chip Kicks, Break up the defence, confuse the Fullbacks and Wingers, and make them play closer, so you can pick and chose where you want to kick.

In Wayne we trust.

Im Wayne B.

STG-Dragon

Juniors
Weyman and Smith will be our Props,
Merrin & Saffy will Share the Rols with Those 2.

Prior , Creagh and Scott will share the Backrow positions
Young will Fill in for Priddis until Fien comes back and performs.

I have been telling people since Day 1, Green and Thorby dont make the
grade Too Slow, and Not Very good readers in defense, You need to have some very quick lateral movers in Defence, They just dont have it.

In WEYMAN and J SMITH - We have an awesome Front Row.
in Merrin and Saffy we have Awesome backup.

Prior - Creagh and Scott give us that Edge in Size, Speed and Defensive capability. These guys are the reason as to why we are over 100 points better in defence than every other team in the comp.

Where we are falling down in at the moment is, in Line Speed from our Forwards putting us in a Position for an Attacking Kick. Its just not happening.

We have Missed Weyman and Smith, and without these guys, in the Wet conditions, we are Ratsh*t.

We have been unable to use our Star Studded backline, because of the rain, and the Crisp movements and speed these guys have, has not been utilised.

Im telling you now, if we play in Good weather, no team can go with us, in the Wet, they all have a chance to win. Unless we play at Full strength and with the right mindset.

Our Kicking game is Poor, because Soward is standing 20 Metres back, he needs a Dummy half who can pass it back to him at Speed . Thats fine in the Dry weather, but No chance in the wet. Dont blame Dean Young, he is not a Dummy half, he is a makeshift Dummy half. We Need Fien back in order to get the Cleaner passes away, as well as a Great kicking option from Dummy half. Jamie needs to get the ball on the Run and kick, using his momentum, the ball will travel further.

We are relying to much on Sowards kicking game, t its draining him and the rest of the team.

The guys need to be more positive, Jamie needs to Get in between 2 defenders, use his speed to attract both and offload to Support, taking 2 defenders , at the moment, he is scared.

Just watch Todd Carney the last 2 games, He runs between defenders, beats one, attracts 2 others, and lets the overlap do the talking.

If we dont find our Mojo soon, this could be another year, that we let slip by, and its not choking, its just that we may not be good enough.

Darius Boyd, has been our saviour this season. We need Darius to be sniffing around the Rucks in the early part of the Sets, in order to make yards, and take advantage of opportunities that arise.

our Strenghts, is in our 2nd phase play, we have the Best players in the comp for this sort of Game. Soward, and Horby are great in 2nd phase as is Darius, Coops and B Morris.

The Kick from the Scrum with Brett Morris, where has that been this season, ( Quietly , I Hope they save it for the Semis, when the need it only).

You need to shock teams, to not be so Systematic all the time. Short Kickoffs. Chip Kicks, Break up the defence, confuse the Fullbacks and Wingers, and make them play closer, so you can pick and chose where you want to kick.

In Wayne we trust.

Im Wayne B.

Costigan??? He has to be there and Smith doesn't have the size for the front row (especially starting), otherwise not bad.

bmwpower

Juniors
thats how i think of us right now. and spot on with sowie. needs to put his body on the line. how ever not sold on smith at prop.

_Johnsy

Referee
Fien is the missing link, atm we have no spark (speed & we are lacking options) out of dummy half.

No spark = predictability around the ruck.

Dragon Dave

Bench
Yep, Weyman and Fein are the two most important players in getting back on track in time for the finals.

I think we can expect a few more losses in the meantime, with Bennett still lowering the workload at training after the Origin period.

When we went out last year, Bennett said he did not approach the post-Origin period properly and that would change for this year. It appears that he has had a different approach this year and that gives me confidence for rounds 24/25 onwards.

We have the best coach in the business, have faith!

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
Bennett has been rotating the props. Against Souths he started with Green and Thorby, last week with Prioir and Smith. None of these guys are likely starters at prop once Horse gets back. The thing is, when you are so far out i front, it gives you the chance to expose yout depth players to starting situations so that they are conditioned to it and the team adapts to playing off the back foot, as we are at the moment. We peaked this time last year. Nothing wrong with keeping our powder dry at this stage. Timing our run is critical & we've already set our season up in regards to the finals, but we must be peaking in 6 weeks time. Not now.

At full strength I would bet on it being Horse & Saffy starting with Merrin and Green off the bench along with Prior and Smith.

Bring back choc

Juniors
Smith aint a front rower... saffy is better choice. Smith doesnt run to the line like a prop. We need METRES!!! At least saffy runs like a steam train.

hardbaby

Coach
The Dragon's strength lies in its back row. Smith, Costigan, Creagh, Young, Scott. Nobody can match that as a rotation. I wouldn't weaken that. Our front row will be hugely improved when Weyman gets back. Prior isn't a dominant prop but he is a bloody good footballer and extremely fit. Merrin is a star in the making. We really only need one more guy to come in and play a solid 25 minutes and we are sweet. The question is who? Answer: Saffy, Green, Thorby or Greenfield. And I think Bennett has used Weyman's injury to try to work out which one. Personally I think Saffy. But I sure as hell wouldn't waste my time contemplating a backrower!!

morris_magic

Juniors

i agree on this, sow wow needs to take on the line often, he is really threatning when he does

SEAT 1A

Bench
Bennett has been rotating the props. Against Souths he started with Green and Thorby, last week with Prioir and Smith. None of these guys are likely starters at prop once Horse gets back. The thing is, when you are so far out i front, it gives you the chance to expose yout depth players to starting situations so that they are conditioned to it and the team adapts to playing off the back foot, as we are at the moment. We peaked this time last year. Nothing wrong with keeping our powder dry at this stage. Timing our run is critical & we've already set our season up in regards to the finals, but we must be peaking in 6 weeks time. Not now.

At full strength I would bet on it being Horse & Saffy starting with Merrin and Green off the bench along with Prior and Smith.

Agree with Ronnie. I like how how wayne is rotating the front row. I would start with Weyman Fien and Merrin up front, Nev and Ben Creagh 2nd row Young lock.

Green, Saff and Priddis on the bench. One issue is either J Smith or Prior, I don't no how the team can fit both and secondly where to play Scott when Gaz plays run on centre.

boro

Juniors
Last year Soward put the chip and chase on and it came off 9/10 times, i dont think he`s attempted one this year,

j0nesy

Bench
Last year Soward put the chip and chase on and it came off 9/10 times, i dont think he`s attempted one this year,

Yeah I've noticed that too. Strange. I'd like to believe that he's saving it for the right occasion, a surprise. I'm also concerned that he is standing 10-20 metres back and relying on a boom kick or a bomb as a routine 5th tackle option. It's been worrying me all year, but I can only assume that Wayne has a plan.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
What you gon' do with all that junk?
All that junk inside your trunk?
I'ma get, get, get, get, you drunk,
Get you love drunk off our slump.
Our slump, our slump, our slump, our slump, our slump,
Our slump, our slump, our slump, this damn mid season slump (Check it out)

Dragon

Coach
What you gon' do with all that junk?
All that junk inside your trunk?
I'ma get, get, get, get, you drunk,
Get you love drunk off our slump.
Our slump, our slump, our slump, our slump, our slump,
Our slump, our slump, our slump, this damn mid season slump (Check it out)

random!

:lol:

TheRev

First Grade
Not a big fan of chip'n'chase , it seems a fairly low % play for a team that has built its success on smarts plays and % football.

Id like to see more of Sowards speed punching holes though, but I dont think its our biggest problem by any stretch, we are on the backfoot constantly, were not making metres and getting a roll on, so of course our attack is awful.. we did incredibly to hang in against the Titans, they were beating us set after set for field position, we were lucky to get that 1 fieldgoal attempt.