What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Our Spine.

If you could replace ONE of our spine players to make the team more elite who would it be?

• Will Kennedy

• Blayke Brailey

• Nicho Hynes

Results are only viewable after voting.
Do we have an elite player in our spine that is the question.
In 2016

Barba - in top 3 fullbacks
Maloney - top 3 5/8
Chad - bottom half of halves
Ennis - top 3 hookers.

Compare that now to our spine.

Kennedy - between 6-10
Trindall - around 8-12
Nicho - between 4-7
Brailey - between 4-7.

There is no elite in there.
Chad could be carried because of what was around him, including those not in the spine.
In 2016 we also had players outside the spine elite in positions
Fifita, Lewis, Graham, Gallen.

This team who could you say is elite in position closest would be Ronaldo in top 5 wingers maybe.
Talakai as a benchies maybe

Special K

Coach
If you had to replace one it would be WK or Trindall. I think the issue would be where do you get the cash to upgrade those positions?

I think front row is the bigger issue which is why I am so stoked about AFB.

R-15-3

Bench
Willy K is in the
Top 20% under the highball
Bottom 20% in everything else.

His online defence is partly down to our defensive structure why we still have him at the ruck 10m in from the sideline on the last is crazy 99% of the last plays go out to the open and 99% of the time a try is scored he is still 5-10m from the ball or a last second pointless attempt. Or if the turn it back into the middle he is trying so hard to get to the far side has over run the play.

That’s on the coaching team to work out a better system that works with Willy at the back.

bluefox68

Staff member
The halves will perform a lot better if our forwards are more dominant.
There have been multiple games where our forwards have turned up to play big time…
We just have to string those games together for 3-4 games in September / October…

shadowboxer

First Grade
The club should have apologised to all indigenous Australians for that appalling decision years ago.
I forget alot of games over the years - but always the peach and Jason Steven’s last game vs Souths - summed up a lot of what was going on at the time.
Miserable night in the rain

Peach & Apricot

Juniors
I forget alot of games over the years - but always the peach and Jason Steven’s last game vs Souths - summed up a lot of what was going on at the time.

In the first week final that we lost to the Dragons it was telling that when Gallen scored late to give us a chance, the team's strategy was to pass the ball to Peachey for him to do something.

But the genius known as Stuart Raper thought David Simmons was Origin material. lol.

fizman

Bench
With no intention of derailing the thread, my question would be this: "What could a Bennett or Bellamy achieve with these 3 players compared to what they are producing now?"

I have no doubt that all three under (Bennett or Bellamy) could be Premiership winners.

I cannot believe for the life of me that the Dolphins are such an average team of individuals, but put together are a magnificent football team. For the record, I think at the very least they will make the Prelim.

My view is that the talent is there, but it's not being unlocked. Are players over coached? As some have pointed out so many opportunities for second and third phase play is missed because teams are setting up for the next tackle - That is a coaching issue.

If I was forced to replace one it would be Nicho - he isn't a genuine 6 or 7 in my books. A quality 7 needs a running - passing - kicking game as well as organizing. For a Premiership No.7 Nicho is well off in these key areas.

Weaponhead

Coach
With no intention of derailing the thread, my question would be this: "What could a Bennett or Bellamy achieve with these 3 players compared to what they are producing now?"

I have no doubt that all three under (Bennett or Bellamy) could be Premiership winners.

I cannot believe for the life of me that the Dolphins are such an average team of individuals, but put together are a magnificent football team. For the record, I think at the very least they will make the Prelim.

My view is that the talent is there, but it's not being unlocked. Are players over coached? As some have pointed out so many opportunities for second and third phase play is missed because teams are setting up for the next tackle - That is a coaching issue.

If I was forced to replace one it would be Nicho - he isn't a genuine 6 or 7 in my books. A quality 7 needs a running - passing - kicking game as well as organizing. For a Premiership No.7 Nicho is well off in these key areas.
Bellamy wouldn't have any of those three in his team. He stacks his key positions with guns. The rest are role players.

The Sharks have built a squad with a more even spread of talent. The aim was that Nicho would become elite when they signed the million dollar contract. He has work to do.

The fact is the Sharks haven't had the pull to buy elite talent. They have had to develop with an under resourced system. They are getting their act together and should be a competitive team that will hopefully take the step to contend.

ragzouken

Juniors
We’ll be better for bye, a lot of wrist slitting, think we just overachieve during the season with a favourable draw.

think we are a couple of years away from a grab final but we could get to a prelim.
AFB will add alot

Quicksilver

Bench
Do we have an elite player in our spine that is the question.
In 2016

Barba - in top 3 fullbacks
Maloney - top 3 5/8
Chad - bottom half of halves
Ennis - top 3 hookers.

Compare that now to our spine.

Kennedy - between 6-10
Trindall - around 8-12
Nicho - between 4-7
Brailey - between 4-7.

There is no elite in there.
Chad could be carried because of what was around him, including those not in the spine.
In 2016 we also had players outside the spine elite in positions
Fifita, Lewis, Graham, Gallen.

This team who could you say is elite in position closest would be Ronaldo in top 5 wingers maybe.
Talakai as a benchies maybe

Those premiership players all had a bit of a stink about them.

Barba - " only had a good one good season with the dogs."

Maloney- we shot for DCE. We'll take him I guess.

Chad.

Ennis. Old, past it, grub.

It's only after they win it they become better. They were all criticised too.

Those premiership players all had a bit of a stink about them.

Barba - " only had a good one good season with the dogs."

Maloney- we shot for DCE. We'll take him I guess.

Chad.

Ennis. Old, past it, grub.

It's only after they win it they become better. They were all criticised too.
True that, I remember when we basically swapped Lichaa for Ennis I was pissed off. Turned out Lichaa was ordinary and Ennis was one of the most important buys in the clubs history.

DJDL

Bench

The night responsible for my last ever hangover.
I didn't touch a drop for 6 months after that.

carinashark

First Grade
Nicho back to full back, he is not a 7 or 6. I would do it now as much as I like WK.
We need a gun 7. Make or buy one, it’s too hard a question. Go to DA and Tricky now.
i like Brailey but we have not unlocked his attack or kicking game. Probably we never will.
What we need an Ennis type hooker, a bigger unit, not a small guy. If he could last the distance I would have Sifa at 9, but that sort of body. With Ennis endurance. You have to be incredibly fit to play hooker.
I Know coaching staff is very loyal and the team has played well this year, but it gets very serious after Origin.

Frenzy.

Immortal
I would take the reserve grade fullback from the dolphins or the storm over Kennedy
I wouldn't. He's a highlight player in his first season where no side has seen enough of him to defend him. Like Nicho as a half in 2022. Like Bula at the Tigers in his second year. Like dozens of potential flash in pan players.

I think Dinner Ale is comparable quality to Fuller anyway.

Latest posts