What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Overcome 'Gym Intimidation'

Scorpio30

Bench
What I find irritating more than intimidating in my gym, I guess its at every gym is the alpha males or blokes hogging the equipment cause they think they are king sh*t and can just take their time whilst socializing with like minded baffoons

I dont talk to these wankers, Avoid them like the plague. I do my own routine and most occassions just laugh inside myself at what I see. For example I see blokes taking well over 30min to do 3 sets of one exercise. Or blokes lifting weight very incorrectly all in the name of lifting a lot of weight to obviously show off (no, they aint powerlifters). This is the one that takes the cake, The bloke who HAS to slam or throw his weights down after EVERY set, then after every set paces around, pervs at himself in the mirror, then looks around the gym to make sure people are looking at him. Total git

There is one such poser, he is quite well built up top. However I have never, I mean never seen him wear a pair of shorts. Always in tracksuit bottoms, even in hot weather. He is one of the most aggressive and inconsiderate members in the gym. Im really tempted to call him "shorts" when I want to use equipment he has been hogging for the last 40 min.

f**k that annoy's me.

I go to an inner city Brisbane Gym and there is one african american guy (rapping along with his giant headphones) who thinks it his own personal gym and sets up about 3 or 4 sets of equipment and proceeds to do the rounds. So something can be left for a bout 15 minutes. Enter a punter who goes to use one of these bits of equipment, surveys the situation, talks to gym goers near by, there is a general shrug of shoulders and he proceeds to dismantle...only for arsehole to show up and say...."hey, Im using that".

My other annoyance is all the foreign students/workers in the city gym that DONT USE f**kING TOWELS!

sportive cupid

Referee
Hi,

Though, speaking now from a more educated and experienced perspective; this barrier of Gym Intimidation is easily defeated, and greatly misunderstood by the beginner(s) of the Gym/Exercise world. It is a psychological battle with yourself that you must overcome to be a happy participant in the Gym, and to be-able to focus on yourself and your own goals........

Probably the most confusing misperception of the Gym setting in my mind, is a person claiming that “they are not in shape enough” or “not big enough” or “too overweight” for the Gym. Think about this for just one moment. Your local Gyms have been created, designed and purpose built to assist regular members of the community in developing a healthy body, and maintaining a healthy lifestyle. Therefore, if you are out of shape, too thin, very weak, or overweight then you are the people the gym was designed for........

While there are often many very well built, well toned, and athletic people in the Gym; these conditioned persons are maintaining what they have achieved, or possibly altering their body composition for a competitive purpose (sport, body building, modeling). However, the people who fit in the most are the unfit people!.........

Gym Intimidation is predominantly a mental battle with yourself; and is one that you can defeat with some ease. Be sure to recruit some of the confidence-building methods I’ve suggested here; however the most important message for you to acknowledge, is that _-you are-_ able to work-out in a Gym setting; _-you are-_ accepted, respected and encouraged to be in the Gym setting; and _-you can-_ do it!
Yes. Such as a middle-aged (50 yo) man lifting weights and squatting in lycra shorts - (no gym shorts over them)..... what a filthy man! ... put it away for goodness sake!!!!!!!

So I guess the first bit applies to everyone..except the 50 year old middle aged man...Yuckkkyyy!!!!

Garts

Bench
The gym blows. I prefer to use the great outdoors. I resent the big gyms like Fitness First as when I was a member previously they made it so difficult to cancel. I will never join a gym like that again but it is winter I might join Nth Sydney Leagues as they have a fortnightly payment structure when you can cancel at anytime. When summer comes around I will cancel and use the outdoors again.

Garts

Bench
I am not really interested in bulking up, just toning up. I have park nearby where I there is a bar I can do chin ups on and I have basic weights at home.

TheParraboy

Staff member
I just saw the saddest thing this evening.
While running along Wanda beach-the sun beating down(still with a little bite to it but not too much),kids laughing in the waves,The cool water lapping at my feet.

Looked up to see,in the old surf club digs... some poor bastards on the treadmill!Seemed just a bit odd to me .

lol

I dont find it sad or odd at all

During the warmer months, Ill' often go down to my local beach early in the morning for either a dip or jog. The bonus here is no nuisance, err I mean no laughing kids about getting in your road, after all it is school holidays. 4-5 times a week Ill head to the gym in the arvo and either do some cardio or a weights session, even though there is not a cloud in the sky.

Some people just prefer to exercise in the gym for a variety of reasons. Sure for those people not doing serious weights they can do things for free at home or in the outdoors. But are we also going to call people sad when attending footy games live when its all on free to air tv? :?

What I find sad is the type of people who regularly frequent McDonalds and KFC. Sadder still is those that develop serious illnesses due to years of inactivity and junk food.

sportive cupid

Referee
lol

I dont find it sad or odd at all

During the warmer months, Ill' often go down to my local beach early in the morning for either a dip or jog. The bonus here is no nuisance, err I mean no laughing kids about getting in your road, after all it is school holidays. 4-5 times a week Ill head to the gym in the arvo and either do some cardio or a weights session, even though there is not a cloud in the sky.

Some people just prefer to exercise in the gym for a variety of reasons. Sure for those people not doing serious weights they can do things for free at home or in the outdoors. But are we also going to call people sad when attending footy games live when its all on free to air tv? :?

What I find sad is the type of people who regularly frequent McDonalds and KFC. Sadder still is those that develop serious illnesses due to years of inactivity and junk food.
Wouldn't it be around the other way Parraboy;-)( and I think some 'non- bandwagoner' types already do :lol:)I was referring to the open air where fitness is more fun than obsession.

Good for you that the gym is so important to your fitness regime.
It is not important in mine.

TheParraboy

Staff member
Wouldn't it be around the other way Parraboy;-)( and I think some 'non- bandwagoner' types already do :lol:)I was referring to the open air where fitness is more fun than obsession.
Good for you that the gym is so important to your fitness regime.
It is not important in mine.

I also enjoy the great outdoors ;-)

Just as important :)

TheParraboy

Staff member
Oh no nuisances ehhh?
So long as all the 50 yr olds steer clear.

actually, early morning there is nothing but them :lol:

School holidays annoy me, so many dikead kids around particularly when its a great time to go for a walk or jog somewhere nice after 6pm or so. Thank god for a packed, sweaty gym that is no fun whatsoever full of obssession goers in a poluted air infested environment ;-)

HevyDevy

Coach
I'm a member at Norths Leagues which I find to be very good when it comes to the wanker factor.

The main problem is the old bastards that treat it like a social club. One will sit on a shoulder press machine lifting 5kg, but in between sets some other old prick will come up and go 'Hi Harry, how's things?'

They'll then proceed to have a 30-minute conversation while I'm waiting to use the machine.

macavity

Referee
I go to the university gym in Newcastle.

A fair few built guys, but all friendly and generally don't hog the equipment.

There is only one annoying (and not exactly built) guy who will stay on the (only....) curl rack for a good 45 minutes, 3 times a week... but he must have changed his routine as I haven't seen him in a few weeks.

also, wall-to-wall eye candy. :D

When I go (6am) it isn't too busy either.

all in all, A++

Last edited:

HevyDevy

Coach
I go to the university gym in Newcastle.

A fair few built guys, but all friendly and don't hog the equipment. When I go (6am) it isn't too busy either.

also, wall-to-wall eye candy. :D

all in all, A++

I'm the eye candy in my gym.

macavity

Referee
I'm certainly not....

and before someone (SC I am looking at you) has a go at me, no I do not stare.... but one can't help but notice....

sportive cupid

Referee
Well I couldn't blame you for staring at me Mc.
But really,I think you are barking up the wrong tree(not me who makes those posts)

GuardDog

Juniors
for me the 'great outdoors' doesn't exactly help me build muscle and bulk up
yep the gym def makes it easier to bulk up but for guys doing strongman workouts they flip heavy tyres,lift heavy sandbags and throw em down,lift odd shaped rocks,sledge hammer tyres,.all outdoor stuff
unfortunately my suburban house is small otherwise i would incorporate some of these old school workouts into gym workouts

[furrycat]

Coach
:clap:

Exactly, the great outdoors > gym$ and gym member$hip$, any day of the week.

Major. Cop. Out.

Sorry but thats bullsh*t. For running and stuff, yes - but do you really have access to $$$$'s of machines and weights in your house? Don't think so. I don't have all the different barbells and bars and plates in my house that I need... hence, the gym. Great outdoors ain't gonna help you build muscle or bulk

(and before you say just do push ups and chin ups and sit ups... please... we're in the 21st century. Body weight exercises are still the bomb, but you need more)

My girlfriend loves to do the classes like body pump and step - can't do them in your home.

Latest posts