What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Overcoming soreness after exercise

supersoniceagle

Juniors
In the past week I have started to exercise a bit more. I play basketball so I've finally got around to attending trainings and also have joined a gym to get a bit more fitness. (I'm pretty unfit at the moment)

What I'm struggling is that I feel quite sore in the next 1-3 days after exercising. I really want to hit the gym every couple of days but my body just doesn't seem to want to.

I trained basketball on Monday night and was sore probably through to Thursday. I went to the gym yesterday and really am in the mood for another session today but my body is just too sore. Should I push it when I'm feeling sore, or is it best to wait and then have another session? Is it something I'll cope better with as I pick up a bit of fitness? Any other tips I could try to recover quicker?

adamkungl

Immortal
-Exercise different muscles on different days. Example, I find that even if my biceps are dead sore, I can still do chest and tricep exercises the next day fine.
-Recovery is important. After exercise stretch, warm down and drink a lot of water.

Other than that, you basically have to let your body get used to it. If you just started it's expected that you're sore. Your muscles will recover quicker next time

Frailty

First Grade
Going on with what adamkungl suggested (i.e. Stretch Warm down), I would definitely suggest a good warm up and stretch session to start before the gym.

Go for a 5 minute jog, and then stretch your whole body hitting the major muscle groups - calves, quads, hamstrings, abs, back, shoulder, and neck.

This gives your muscles time to get blood flowing and use to extended movement.

GuardDog

Juniors
pain is weakness leaving the body.,,having said that good nutrition and decent rest will help u recover,the body is quite resilient in that it sends alarm bells when under stress which forces the body to grow stronger and toughen up stay with it you wont regret it

Jimbo

Immortal
Should I push it when I'm feeling sore

Generally, NO

The reason your muscles are sore is because of the small tears you put in them when you're exercising hard (especially when weight training, running hard, etc.) Your body needs time to repair these tears, otherwise you will keep getting more and more of them until you end up with an injury

The good news is that these micro-tears are where fitness and strength come from. When your body repairs a muscle tear, the end result is a section of muscle which is actually stronger (and slightly larger) than it was before the exercise. The irony is that you need rest in order for this to occur

Make sure that you have at least one day per week where you do nothing at all, and a couple of days where your exercise is pretty light. Plenty of protein and magnesium should also help the repair process

atomic_crimson

Juniors
Work different muscles on different days, Rest days inbetween weights training. On the days of weight training - before bed I have a hot shower, rub on some voltaren on the areas worked out and hit the bed. I wake up in less pain the next day,

roopy

Referee
Work different muscles on different days, Rest days inbetween weights training. On the days of weight training - before bed I have a hot shower, rub on some voltaren on the areas worked out and hit the bed. I wake up in less pain the next day,
You should definately not use Voltaren as a routine thing.

It's a great drug, but there is more and more evidence that this class of drug has side effects that damage your cardio-vascular system. I don't even take ibuprofen anymore, although i'm probably just being over cautious. The most effective drug in the class, Vioxx, was withdrawn from sale several years ago because it was killing people.

Even if you aren't worried about damaging your heart, Voltaren emugel will damage blood vessels in your skin if you use it too regularly - the precautions say not to use it for more than a week on the same spot from memory.

Study links Voltaren and Nurofen to strokes
Amy Corderoy

One of Australia's best-selling painkillers should be banned, according to the co-author of a study that linked it to an increased chance of stroke in healthy people not previously thought to be at risk.
Commonly sold as Voltaren, but available in a number of brands, it is one of a class of drugs all found to increase the risk of stroke, an extensive Danish study found.
Diclofenac, the key ingredient in Voltaren, is as dangerous as the arthritis drug Vioxx, said an international expert. Vioxx was withdrawn in Australia in 2004 because it was found to increase the risk of heart attack.
</H1>http://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/wel...en-and-nurofen-to-strokes-20100913-159d6.html

Last edited:

HevyDevy

Coach
Yeah all of the above advice is good.

You should give each muscle group 48 hours to recover (minimum).

So if you do bis and tris one day you can do chest and legs etc the next.

But no matter what you do, you're going to feel sore every time you work a muscle group that hasn't been worked for a while. Over time it will stop being sore (although can still become fatigued).

atomic_crimson

Juniors
You should definately not use Voltaren as a routine thing.

It's a great drug, but there is more and more evidence that this class of drug has side effects that damage your cardio-vascular system. I don't even take ibuprofen anymore, although i'm probably just being over cautious. The most effective drug in the class, Vioxx, was withdrawn from sale several years ago because it was killing people.

Even if you aren't worried about damaging your heart, Voltaren emugel will damage blood vessels in your skin if you use it too regularly - the precautions say not to use it for more than a week on the same spot from memory.

</H1>http://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/wel...en-and-nurofen-to-strokes-20100913-159d6.html

I don't use it on the regular - but thanks for the info. I only use it when I know I have had a big session weights wise (being female that isn't a daily thing!) Will definitely read up on it a bit more!

Utey

Coach
Magnesium is your friend. I just dropped from 82kg to 69kg in 13 weeks, without the magnesium, I would have struggled!

Latest posts