What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Overhaul NRL points system, Furner says

Earl

Coach
Canberra coach David Furner has urged the NRL to consider reforming the for-and-against points system so clubs that lose tries through refereeing blunders are adequately compensated.
No doubt still smarting from a tight 24-19 opening-round loss to Melbourne, Furner said on Friday the NRL should do more than acknowledge errors by the referees, but attempt to rectify them.
It comes after video referee Phil Cooley was sacked for incorrectly ruling Melbourne prop Bryan Norrie was onside during an early Cooper Cronk try - a mistake NRL referees boss Bill Harrigan labelled unacceptable.
Advertisement: Story continues below
Furner also vented concerns about a disallowed try to Raiders' winger Blake Ferguson that would have given the home side an all-important lead heading into halftime, but Harrigan backed the decision to call the pass forward.
The Raiders coach said that in such a competitive year, re-calibrating the for-and-against tallies could mean the difference between a club making the finals or not.
"With that try that was awarded to the Storm and the one disallowed to the Raiders, is there a chance that although in that case the Storm get the two points that you get to rectify your for-and-against?" Furner asked.
"If it needed to be awarded a try and it wasn't, or vice versa, there could be a way there to take four points away or six points away or add, which will affect the for or against."
Furner didn't say if he intended to raise it directly with NRL officials, but said it should be an issue up for discussion.
"There's going to be discrepancies in those sorts of rulings ... that's part of the game.
"You can't change the two points and I'm not looking at that, but certainly in this competition, for-and-against is going to be massive."
In a bid to improve ref calls, the NRL is reportedly considering trialling a coach's or captain's challenge, as seen in American football, which would allow the coach or skipper to immediately demand a review of a contentious incident.
Each team would get a challenge per half, and another in golden-point time.
Furner said he would have to have a closer look at the proposal before giving it his thumbs-up.

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-new...points-system-furner-says-20120309-1uoiw.html

I think Furner may suffering from re-tardation

northwest9

Juniors
if this f**king clown ever going to pick his lip up.

you lost, deal with it. shit calls happen week in week out.

hes only pissing and moaning so as to distract attention from the big elephant in the room, his inability to coach

Jason Maher

Immortal
The F/A tallies will be far les out of whack then the competition points due to the same mistakes. Unfortunately, that is life. Every team will get dudded at some point or other this season, and fans (and players and coaches) of every team will always notice the decisions that don't go their way and ignore the ones that do, and thus form an unbalanced opinion of how much referees hate their team.

carlosthedwarf

First Grade
All the reasons to restructure the points given for a win/loss, this is among the worst.

In a bid to improve ref calls, the NRL is reportedly considering trialling a coach's or captain's challenge, as seen in American football, which would allow the coach or skipper to immediately demand a review of a contentious incident.
Each team would get a challenge per half, and another in golden-point time.

Now this I would totally be down for.

adamkungl

Immortal
Never go full genius.

Raiders fans, how many more games does he have to lose in a row to get the sack? 27?

Mr Saab

Referee
Canberra, please give this guy a 20 yr contract so he can still give us LOLs

Canberra could almost turn into a LOL@Canberra thanx to one D Furner.

Lambretta

First Grade
I think we should look at every single incorrect decision on a football field and then feed all the incorrect decisions into a computer program to work out who the most likely winner would have been if referees weren't all biased f**kwits who hate whoever lost in real life.

The "winning" team based on the computers decision will be awarded 73.82 competition points but only if a selection of the Worlds hottest models agree to have sex with me and pay me for the priviledge.

That's the only fair system I can come up with.

Bman26

Juniors
I think we should look at every single incorrect decision on a football field and then feed all the incorrect decisions into a computer program to work out who the most likely winner would have been if referees weren't all biased f**kwits who hate whoever lost in real life.

The "winning" team based on the computers decision will be awarded 73.82 competition points but only if a selection of the Worlds hottest models agree to have sex with me and pay me for the priviledge.

That's the only fair system I can come up with.

Depending on the selection of models and the system used to come up with the criteria for hot, perhaps we can get a computer program for that too?

Mr Saab

Referee
Should go further and not play any games and have a computer decide each yrs preimier.
I can definately see one problem : the computer would probably crash from LOLing at Souffs.

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
wow....thats about all i got. Seems to be he is the worst in all other departments as a coach in the comp so he found something he can be the best at

gUt

Coach
I for one agree with everything Furnerd has said so far this year and I'd therefore like to congratulate the Raiderps on their 2012 premiership.

Misanthrope

Staff member
I think it was Phil Gould who suggested a bonus points setup for the game a few years ago. Something like:

- 3 points for a win
- 2 points for a draw
- 1 point for a loss by 6 or less
- 1 point for scoring 4-5+ tries

I don't recall the specifics, but I remember not minding the idea.

Walt Flanigan

Referee
Yeah I don't think we really need a bonus point system. Super Rugby needs it to encourage tries to be scored and discourage teams from throwing in the towel.

The comp is close enough as it is not to require the "lose by 6 or less" points.

Latest posts