What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Overhyping Burton

Peach & Apricot

Juniors
Why do all the commentators obsess over praising Burton's supposed brilliance? He has not delivered wins for the Dishlickers, and surely the so-called experts must understand that there is more to rugby league than kicking weally weally high bombs?

Wizardman

First Grade
Why do all the commentators obsess over praising Burton's supposed brilliance? He has not delivered wins for the Dishlickers, and surely the so-called experts must understand that there is more to rugby league than kicking weally weally high bombs?
I've been saying it for a long time......he is not a 6. Yes, he played his juniors there and all that. But, the man is deadset a prototype NRL centre....and a damn good one at that. He is going through the same sort of thing Jack Wighton is going through now (for the record, at least Wighton had one damn good season at 6).
He is the most talented player in his team. Because of that (and his ability to kick big bombs), he is played at 6. But, his best footy by far has been played at centre.

mave

Coach
If you want those sweet sweet spine dollars, you gotta play a spine position.....see Schuster as example #2

Dogs Of War

Coach
Really hard to play behind a crap pack as well. He hasn't seen a decent forward pack in front of him ever at the Bulldogs.

Wizardman

First Grade
The same old chestnut excuse I have heard used for Brooks. To an extent, in both cases, it has been a fact.

In saying that, there are days when (a) a forward pack has a good day and (b) you have red zone time.
Even Burton's biggest fans must admit....the man has not executed to his price at 6 for the Bulldogs.

It's cause he the next "big thing". It's when the media haven't over hyped a player is when I will be surprised.

Too many oif them hype up some players as the next big thing for doing little but playing solid football. It's what drives a lot of dislike of those players in my opinion by fans, especially fans from other clubs.

Bazal

Post Whore
Absolute gun.

Not a lead half, he needs an organiser out there running the team so he can just kick and run. Put a Cleary or Moses or Reynolds type alongside him and he'd be the deadliest 6 in the game IMO

Iamback

Coach
Absolute gun.

Not a lead half, he needs an organiser out there running the team so he can just kick and run. Put a Cleary or Moses or Reynolds type alongside him and he'd be the deadliest 6 in the game IMO

Yeah but the 7 is number 1 kicker, So you are getting less of that in that set up

Bazal

Post Whore
Yeah but the 7 is number 1 kicker, So you are getting less of that in that set up

Are they though? I mean it depends on the team dynamic and the kick right.

Easy to run a split with the seven doing the territory kicking and then Burton sliding into first receiver for a nuclear bomb. Usually the fifth tackle in the attacking zones is done by the half on that side anyway, as well, and quite often that's true anywhere on the field. Hence Oluapo or whatever did those three shitty chip kicks last night with Burton begging for it to come left.