What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oztag line defence

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
How are you supposed to defend close to the line in Oztag? It's practically impossible to stop the opposing team scoring without some sort of physical blocking which is supposedly forbidden. :?

Ausguy

Coach
its hard... luck plays a part.

1 tip, grab for the top of the tag, it doesnt move in the breeze, still hard but easier.

if ur playing mixed and u accidentally grab somthing u shouldnt have... apologise and move on. or get her number.

TommyGun

Juniors
I guess being a good tagger would help. But if you move up off your line and try and get to them before they can get to the tryline i guess that gives you the most time to make the tag

Talanexor

Juniors
If it's really close to the line, always have at least 3 defenders in front of the play-the-ball, to stop sneaky attempts from dummy half. Yes, you have to physically put your body between them and the tryline to stop them diving.

The outside defenders need to rush up as well on the link men so they get tagged as soon as they touch the ball. It's a bit of a gamble, bu if you practice it you'll find it's much more effective than trying to slide or marking up one-on-one. Up and in defence or umbrella defence it's called I think.

Also, markers in Oztag are FAR more important than they are in league. Good marker defence can literally stop the other team from advancing it more than 2-3m each time.

Dogs Of War

Coach
What also is important is going for both tags. Doing this also allows you to get away with slowing down the offence.

Pierced Soul

First Grade
i thinik you can get in front of them, you cant run into them though.

i found a lot of what is/isnt allowed depends on the refs

adamkungl

Immortal
1) onus is on the attacking player to avoid contact. Defenders should put their body in front, and go for both tags as if going for a tackle (don't hot or drive, but get your arms around)

2) markers and line must move quickly to pressure the playmakers, and stop the ball getting wide early. Also, make sure your wingers mark up and your defence slides with the ball.

God-King Dean

Immortal
1) onus is on the attacking player to avoid contact. Defenders should put their body in front, and go for both tags as if going for a tackle (don't hot or drive, but get your arms around)

2) markers and line must move quickly to pressure the playmakers, and stop the ball getting wide early. Also, make sure your wingers mark up and your defence slides with the ball.

This - except the high lighted part isn't entirely true.

If you're head-to-head to begin with the onus is on the attack to avoid contact, but if you close a gap an attacker is running into & make contact, it's the attacks penalty.

Dogs Of War

Coach
This - except the high lighted part isn't entirely true.

If you're head-to-head to begin with the onus is on the attack to avoid contact, but if you close a gap an attacker is running into & make contact, it's the attacks penalty.

Which is why you go for both tags in that situation, even if you don't get the tags, as you were attempting a tag, you don't get penalised.

God-King Dean

Immortal
Agreed.

I suck at tagging but since I started sliding my body in front of defender & going for both tags it's improved greatly.

adamkungl

Immortal
My team is going into the christmas break off a 12-4 loss against 7 players.... we were down 4-3 at half time. One of those games where we got frustrated from mistakes and just completely and utterly imploded.

Dogs Of War

Coach
Another thing I recommend for all teams, is to get a set of tags for yourselves. You can then practice a few weeks before the comp starts (and on your bye weeks). Really helps get that hand eye co-ordination in tune. Especially as each season you tend to have a few new guys join the team, and they can get up to speed quickly, rather than being a defensive liability for the first few games.

franklin2323

Immortal
Depends what level you play. In reps we rush up & pressure them. Mens we leave the wingers free & double up. Mixed the guys will always hog it so we pressure them.

Always stand front on & go for both. From that position you get 2 attempts at the tags. Also if there's contact from that angle it always goes your way

Latest posts