What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pacific Championship

jim_57

Staff member
Interested as to why Tonga GF get the 3rd spot. Fiji beat NZ and made the semis of the World Cup, same as Tonga.

Seems a bit half assed but a good start. 2 four nations with Lebanon and Cook Islands would have been preferable.

taste2taste

Juniors
I think its a great idea.
It gives the pacific nations regular games that actually mean something.
Its only 3 rounds, they'll play the first round in the rep weekend and the other 2 games after the season.
After that, NZ or Australia...or maybe even Tonga...can tour the UK or England can tour Australia and the Pacific.
I dont think the RLIF will be freezing England :rolleyes:

Perth Tiger

Bench
Interested as to why Tonga GF get the 3rd spot. Fiji beat NZ and made the semis of the World Cup, same as Tonga.

Seems a bit half assed but a good start. 2 four nations with Lebanon and Cook Islands would have been preferable.
Lebanon should be included in the Euro comps even if it makes it a bit more difficult getting their heritage players there.

I still think there is so much more value including Canada or USA in the pacific comps rather than the Cooks. Both seem to have decent level union teams, I wonder if guaranteed yearly competition against NRL filled pacific sides and putting themselves in the 'shop window' to secure professional contracts would entice some of the union players across to League?

jim_57

Staff member
Might make England look a bit more seriously at their local rivals and how they can help them improve. Not just top level Internationals but juniors Knights V Under 23/A teams to help bridge the gap at least a bit.

Springs09

Juniors
So Australia will again only play 2 games next year - against the same opposition as this year.

Yeah I know it's something, but this is garbage seriously. It's like they are saying 'how can we appear to be doing something while playing the least amount of games possible?'

If this is all they are going to do then might as well bring the 4 Nations back.

Springs09

Juniors
I think its a great idea.
It gives the pacific nations regular games that actually mean something.
Its only 3 rounds, they'll play the first round in the rep weekend and the other 2 games after the season.
After that, NZ or Australia...or maybe even Tonga...can tour the UK or England can tour Australia and the Pacific.
I dont think the RLIF will be freezing England :rolleyes:

Great Britain is supposed to be touring down under next year.
But apparently Australia don't want to play them.

I really don't see why we can't aim big
Mid-Season Tests (e.g. NZ v Tonga, Eng v Samoa, PNG v Fiji, Cooks v Lebanon)
Lions Tour (1x France, 1x PNG, 1x Tonga, 1x NZ, 3x Aus)
Pacific Championship (NZ, Tonga, Samoa, PNG, Fiji, Cook Islands - 2 pools of 3 + final)
Additional End of Year Tests (Aus v NZ, Aus v Samoa, NZ v Lebanon, additional warm-ups between Pacific Nations/Lebanon etc.)

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
F@#k me this game's admin is hap-hazard. Do they just sit around the office at the RLIF with their feet on the desk coming up with test and tournament ideas on a whim?

The article even says the third place nation will be relegated next time the tournament is held..... NEXT TIME? How about if we come up with some tournament idea, then why not just lock it in regularly???

We don't have to re-invent the wheel here. The four nations should return, but this time under the control of the RLIF AND with the addition of a Pacific Cup and European Cup held ANNUALLY as qualifying tournaments. Why do we have to change a formula and brand that was working? Even extend it to a six-nations if you want so that a Euro and Pacific nation can take part every year.

I see why the media and general sporting public think our sport is a joke.

Last edited:

LeagueXIII

First Grade
F@#k me this game's admin is hap-hazard. Do they just sit around the office at the RLIF with their feet on the desk coming up with test and tournament ideas on a whim?

The article even says the third place nation will be relegated next time the tournament is held..... NEXT TIME? How about if we come up with some tournament idea, then why not just lock it in regularly???

We don't have to re-invent the wheel here. The four nations should return, but this time under the control of the RLIF AND with the addition of a Pacific Cup and European Cup held ANNUALLY as qualifying tournaments. Why do we have to change a formula and brand that was working? Even extend it to a six-nations if you want so that a Euro and Pacific nation can take park every year.

I see why the media and general sporting public think our sport is a joke.

I think alot has to do with TV contracts and the NRL, also Origin.

International league has been a dogs breakfast since 1995, before that we had a 4 year calender which rolled over and was stuck to.....and we had neutral refs.

It wasn't all about keeping Australia and it's coaches happy.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
They are putting way too much faith into Tonga.

The 'Tier 2' nations don't get much. It says that PNG Samoa and Fiji are to pay each other before end of 2019. How is that going to happen? Which nations sits out in the middle of the year?

We have the mid year tests. Then at least another fortnight to allow each Conference to play each other?

I mean thats fine, but where does Great Britain fit?

When the NRL put there International Window proposal forward, the Northern Hemisphere was forgotten. Its happening here again. Why should England allow Australia and New Zealand regular high quality matches, and further receive no interest to play Australia?

They are interested in Tonga because they see $$$$$$$$ once they kill that golden goose they will move on.

expansionist

Juniors
They are interested in Tonga because they see $$$$$$$$ once they kill that golden goose they will move on.

I think theres a fair bit of bandwagonning going on here by the RLIF..

Tonga is all the rage right now, so theyre just slotting Tonga in around the place whether it truly fits or not.

More games for Tonga should not come at the expense of less games for other nations.

kiwileaguefan

Juniors
The proposal sounds great, but I agree, what about England. They are stuffed without a strong France and Wales. We can forget about Ireland and Scotland. In a perfect world, the US, Canada and even Jamaica would be interesting options. As yesterday showed, France don't even care..

Well maybe the RFL should take leaf out of the NRL and help fund the game in Europe....i.e organise games etc etc

Growing the game in Europe will increase revenue. I recall the NZ NRL tv contract is worth $3mil

roughyedspud

Coach
I'll answer my own question...there isn't ,Christ we can't even get this right!

Why not have full blown pacific & European Championship!

Pacific championship - 8 teams,
Australia
Nz
Tonga
Samoa
Png
Fiji
Cooks
Usa

2 groups of 4,top of each group advances to the final

European Championship - 8 teams
England
Wales
Scotland
Ireland
France
Italy
Lebanon
Canada or Jamaica

2 groups of 4,top of each group advances to the final..

Storm13

Juniors
I'll answer my own question...there isn't ,Christ we can't even get this right!

Why not have full blown pacific & European Championship!

Pacific championship - 8 teams,
Australia
Nz
Tonga
Samoa
Png
Fiji
Cooks
Usa

Cook Islands and USA is never going to happen. 6 nations with the mid season test counting towards round 1 is a more realistic outcome. NRL will want to keep it competitive and short unfortunaetly.

kiwileaguefan

Juniors
Are you dumb?..who do you think set up and funded the RLEF since 2003!

I'm not dumb...i though France set it up too..but all year you hear bitching about lack of quality for England to play, but outside Catalan Dragons (which to be fair less wining the Challenge Cup has been going backwards recently) have done f**k all
...cut funding to Scotland and Wales.. at least they are good at providing a substandard comp for average or banished NRL players...

At least the NRL has done work developing in the Pacific and organised games...like PNGRFL have stated today they wouldn't be in their current position without the NRL.

There should be no reason why Wales and France are not semi-competitive like PNG in 5-10 years with the right junior player development..

Oceania Championship - two pools of four, with winners of each pool to play oneanother. It's only max four games post season.
Australia
New Zealand
Tonga
Samoa
Fiji
PNG
Cook Islands
Vanuatu or Solomon Islands (mid season test to qualify)

European Championship - two pools of four, with winners of each pool to play oneanother. It's only max four games post season.
England
Wales
Scotland
Ireland
France
Italy
Lebanon
Next highest ranked team, or have a mid season tournament to qualify.

Top four from each qualify for the 'RLIF Trophy' the following season, along with the winners of the American championship tournament and the hosting country. Should the host qualify via winning the tournament, its next cab off the rank.

Seriously, this is money, especially the Oceania Championship. Reduce it to six teams if need be, but baahhhh gawwwwd it'd be cracking footy.

Walter sobchak

First Grade

Probably to keep the Australian and NZ born tongans sweet.