What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pacific Championship

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Well maybe the RFL should take leaf out of the NRL and help fund the game in Europe....i.e organise games etc etc

Growing the game in Europe will increase revenue. I recall the NZ NRL tv contract is worth $3mil

The New Zealand TV rights are worth somewhere between $100 and $150 million to the NRL

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Really? How long for?

I don't think viewership for the NRL is that high in NZ anymore, certainly not in comparison with what it was in the past.

The exact figure isn't known but it is strongly rumoured to be between $20 and $30 million per year. It is great money and is what puts the NRL TV deal up almost on par with the AFL deal.

Matua

Bench
The exact figure isn't known but it is strongly rumoured to be between $20 and $30 million per year. It is great money and is what puts the NRL TV deal up almost on par with the AFL deal.
That's just weird, Sky gets its subscribers for the rugby, most of the league watching is a by product of that - e.g. remove the NRL from Sky and they'll lose some diehard league only fans, but it wont be a significant drop is subscribers.

Force

Juniors
Wouldn’t a 4nations consisting of Australia, NZ, England and Tonga running parallel with a qualifying tri-nations competition consisting of PNG, Samoa and Fiji have been better??
This, I'd also add Cook Islands to the 3N to make it even.

So main 4N comp (NZ/OZ/Eng/Ton)
2nd 4N comp (Fiji/Cooks/Sam/PNG)

Winner of 2nd comp and loser of main comp swap places for the following year.

Force

Juniors
Neither are union's figures. Super whatever and domestic comps have fallen off a cliff in NZ.
Thats because in Union, the International game takes precedence in NZ, as it should be. League has its arse-about-front where the pinnacle is a game between two states, followed by club footy and international footy a distant 3rd. We need to flip that around, Tonga and their supporters are making international footy a spectacle, the rest are asleep. Mind you, the other Pacific Island supporters can match Tonga's enthusiasm.

kiwileaguefan

Juniors
Thats because in Union, the International game takes precedence in NZ, as it should be. League has its arse-about-front where the pinnacle is a game between two states, followed by club footy and international footy a distant 3rd. We need to flip that around, Tonga and their supporters are making international footy a spectacle, the rest are asleep. Mind you, the other Pacific Island supporters can match Tonga's enthusiasm.

They really need to play a game in Tonga to build on this momentum. They were saying on the news how the domestic comp went from 11 teams to 38 on the back of last year's RLWC

If RL doesn't make inroads in the country itself to help produce talent, then It will die a slow death. Same goes for Fiji...

Last edited:
I've been saying that for about two decades but thanks for the heads up.

jim_57

Staff member
This, I'd also add Cook Islands to the 3N to make it even.

So main 4N comp (NZ/OZ/Eng/Ton)
2nd 4N comp (Fiji/Cooks/Sam/PNG)

Winner of 2nd comp and loser of main comp swap places for the following year.

Problem is though England can't play in it every year. It's Pacific championships, I wouldn't have England in there at all. By all means they can tour and play against those sides but they should be left out of any such tournament as it turns a regional championship in to a random 4 nations.

England should be playing in a Euro Cup once in a 4 year cycle.

RedVee

First Grade
Heard Kristin Woolf on the radio yesterday morning. At that point he said Tonga had only heard of this proposal through the press

parrawentyfan

Juniors
With the Tonga v Australia game

Whatever the format, one of the primary aims of the RLIF and nations in the Pacific region should be to aim for this type of game, atmosphere and experience several times a year across the Pacific. You can't buy passion, but you can do your best to figure out what works and aim to replicate it as best you can.

Australia, NZ, Tonga, Samoa, Fiji and PNG. Each nation should get to experience a couple of games like this at least. It would do wonders.

parrawentyfan

Juniors
Alrighty. Two posts in a row which is never ideal but here goes...

I've always been an advocate for a cross hemisphere 4/6N tournament but having given it some thought, there is much more potential with separating out the hemispheres.

I would rather go with annual matches in the Pacific. Ideally a Pacific Cup with Australia, NZ, PNG, Tonga, Samoa, Fiji plus one qualifier. If Australia complains about too many matches, too bad. They can either pay the players less or send a 2nd or 3rd string side.

An alternative would be for Australia and NZ to alternate tours of the Pacific.

Eg Year 1: Australia tours the Pacific. Start with a NZ test, then follow with Tonga, Samoa, Fiji and PNG. NZ heads to Europe for a tour. Year 2 is the same but reversed.

Money is always the key so I have two solutions here:
- get some fancy mining/telco/finance company to pay for it under a massive sponsorship arrangement. Companies will waste money all the time, they just need to be talked into wasting it on us.
- NRL needs to set aside a small % of yearly revenue every year to fund international activities or otherwise contribute to the RLIF or Asia Pacific regime. 5 to 10% would be massive.

Pommy

Coach
Alrighty. Two posts in a row which is never ideal but here goes...

I've always been an advocate for a cross hemisphere 4/6N tournament but having given it some thought, there is much more potential with separating out the hemispheres.

I would rather go with annual matches in the Pacific. Ideally a Pacific Cup with Australia, NZ, PNG, Tonga, Samoa, Fiji plus one qualifier. If Australia complains about too many matches, too bad. They can either pay the players less or send a 2nd or 3rd string side.

An alternative would be for Australia and NZ to alternate tours of the Pacific.

Eg Year 1: Australia tours the Pacific. Start with a NZ test, then follow with Tonga, Samoa, Fiji and PNG. NZ heads to Europe for a tour. Year 2 is the same but reversed.

Money is always the key so I have two solutions here:
- get some fancy mining/telco/finance company to pay for it under a massive sponsorship arrangement. Companies will waste money all the time, they just need to be talked into wasting it on us.
- NRL needs to set aside a small % of yearly revenue every year to fund international activities or otherwise contribute to the RLIF or Asia Pacific regime. 5 to 10% would be massive.

Do you seriously think there’s any chance NRL clubs would agree to a 10% cut?

parrawentyfan

Juniors
Do you seriously think there’s any chance NRL clubs would agree to a 10% cut?

Nope but it's a starting point. As there are only 2 fully pro leagues in the world the NRL and ESL get the lions share of funding. They should recognise a tiny cut of their income going to international development could reap massive reward in terms of playing strength and credibility on the world stage.

Even if it starts at 2 or 3% it would be a huge start in both hemispheres.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
That's just weird, Sky gets its subscribers for the rugby, most of the league watching is a by product of that - e.g. remove the NRL from Sky and they'll lose some diehard league only fans, but it wont be a significant drop is subscribers.

Well obviously Sky have information contrary to that because they’ve been paying at least $20 million a year since 2012

Matua

Bench
Well obviously Sky have information contrary to that because they’ve been paying at least $20 million a year since 2012
If Sky want to value the NRL at that then it's up to them, not sure it's sound financial sense though - they only had roughly 100k viewers for a late round Warriors match against the Panthers which would contribute to where both teams finished on the final ladder. They were getting bigger audiences earlier in the season though.