What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pacific Championships 2024

Clarkent

Juniors
I knew you'd say something like that.

He can either play in the 2nd rate comp, or play for the big boys like his Dad. We will see I guess.
Cook Islands has the potential to reach Samoa and Tonga's level. They just need players like Iro to commit and start a trend. Manu is also one of the players I heard might commit to the CI if he comes back to league

"I wouldn’t want to choose between [New Zealand] and Cook Islands," Iro said. "If there was a way to play for both in the same year I would but I would prioritise Cook Islands"

I quote from Iro a month ago

Oh well if not Kayal, then it could either be Tommy Talau or Deine Mariner....or good ol Sebastian Kris lol.

Or we move CNK to the centres and give Kini the fullback jersey.

Just gonna leave this here...

75226376_2495572503892804_3119860859380170752_n.jpg

Clarkent

Juniors
Oh well if not Kayal, then it could either be Tommy Talau or Deine Mariner....or good ol Sebastian Kris lol.

That's a tough one but Talau and Mariner might get picked for samoa. I heard a interview from the Kiwis coach and he said a few boys are weighing up playing for the Kiwis or the island nations.

shadowformz

Juniors
Is anyone able to confirm that there will be relegation and promotion between the cup and bowl this year, and if so could you post a link to any article.

Clarkent

Juniors
Is anyone able to confirm that there will be relegation and promotion between the cup and bowl this year, and if so could you post a link to any article.
Just like last year no. The only change is one of the top 3 teams playing for the cup goes to play England and gets replaced by the previous team that went to England the year before. For example Tonga replaces Samoa this year and Samoa will replace the Kangaroos next year

taste2taste

Juniors
An article in the Telegraph said the top team in the bowl will play the bottom team in the championship for the chance to be promoted. The game will be played before the Championship final. If all the results go the way they should it will be PNG v Tonga

Manu Vatuvei

Coach

Howarth? Played NZ A last year so they're obviously working on him.

Would be standard practice, all these Kiwis won't play for us but an Aussie will.

Howarth? Played NZ A last year so they're obviously working on him.

Would be standard practice, all these Kiwis won't play for us but an Aussie will.

That's a good shout. They were saying on the Matty Johns show that he was a Qlder (during an origin discussion), but I was thinking I'm sure he played for NZ A. I'm wondering if he's related to Shane Howarth? (Former All Black and Cowboy).

I thought Reimis Smith was an alright option before he left for the SL. I wouldn't mind seeing Warbrick in the wing if Ronaldo doesn't make it back in time.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
RTS would have slid nicely into the vacant centre position left by Manu.

Don't worry about Tonga, at full strength they'll give Aussies and Kiwis a run for thier money.

Off the top of my head
1 Koula
2 Tupou
3 Penisini
4 Suli
5 Katoa ( Sharks )
6 Staggs
7 Katoa ( Phins )
8 AFB
9 Havilli
10 Fotuaika
11 Frizell
12 Olakau'atu
13 Kafusi
Bench Koloamatagi, Taumalolo, Paseka....

Katoa (Storm) for sure. He adds to the ranks of Katoas, he's been in great form, and most importantly he gives Tonga a token Tongan.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
That's a good shout. They were saying on the Matty Johns show that he was a Qlder (during an origin discussion), but I was thinking I'm sure he played for NZ A. I'm wondering if he's related to Shane Howarth? (Former All Black and Cowboy).

I thought Reimis Smith was an alright option before he left for the SL. I wouldn't mind seeing Warbrick in the wing if Ronaldo doesn't make it back in time.

yeah I was thinking with RTS's defection Smith might've actually been in line for a call-up, probably why my mind went immediately to his Storm replacement.

taste2taste

Juniors
Katoa (Storm) for sure. He adds to the ranks of Katoas, he's been in great form, and most importantly he gives Tonga a token Tongan.
Oh yeah, forgot about him, a walk up starter for Tonga who have ridiculous depth in the back row.

A full strength Tonga will go punch for punch with the Roos and Kiwis.

The surname Katoa must be the equivalent of Smith in Australia:D

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Be good if we threw Lebanon in as an invitational side and had 4 Nations in the top tier of the Pacific Championships.

Cup: Aus, NZ, Tonga, Lebanon
Bowl: PNG, Fiji, Cook Is

Promotion and relegation between the divisions by having the last place cup v first place bowl playoff, instead of a bowl final.

Aus, NZ, Tonga and Samoa rotate touring England.When England come down under, they are the invitational side and two are relegated.

Y1: Aus, NZ, Samoa, Lebanon / Tonga v England and France

Y2: Aus, NZ, Tonga, Lebanon / Samoa v England and France

Y3: NZ, Tonga, Samoa, Lebanon / Aus v England and France

Y4: WC

Repeat but Y3 in the next cycle NZ goes to England instead of Aus.

When the WC rolls around you have had:

Aus playing 3/4 tests a year
NZ playing 3/4 tests a year
Eng playing 4 tests a year
Samoa playing 3/4 tests a year
Tonga playing 3/4 tests a year
Lebanon playing 3/4 tests a year
PNG playing 2/3 tests a year plus PMXIII
Fiji playing 2/3 tests a year
Cook Islands playing 2/3 tests a year
France playing 2 tests against top tier opponents (mid season v England and post season v the SH touring team), then two against European opponents like Wales, Ireland, Serbia etc.

That gives each of our world cup nations the ability to build a squad, combinations, team culture, style of play, continuity etc. All things that will allow our game to be taken more seriously on the world stage.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Yeah those are the rumors I've been hearing but I highly doubt Val Holmes will defect the Kangaroos
He may struggle to get selected in the coming years as he gets on and younger options like Lomax, Best, Hammer come through plus existing big players Latrell and Turbo competing for the spots

Damn the Samoan side is really gearing up for something special. RTS now on top of the best of the Penrith outside backs from the last three years, the emergence of Luai as a genuine halfback and the usual big, athletic forward pack. If Tino and Haas come over for the world cup they are basically favourites.

1. RTS
2. To'o
3. Chrichton
4. Talagi
5. Taulagi
6. Asi
7. Luia
8. Utoikamanu
9. CTH
10. Haas
11. Leniu
12. Nanai
13. Tino

Oloapu, May, Hunt, Fa'alogo
Fk me that's a good team.

If Talagi does indeed play 6 for Penrith next year and goes well, he'd almost certainly be preferred over Asi, with Tago the logical replacement at centre. And agree with another post having Leniu on the bench and starting Su'a in the second row..

The middle rotation of Haas, Utoikamanu, Leniu and May/Hunt is just nuts, especially if Tino is also there.

Latest posts