What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Panthers All Time Fullback

Fullback

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
No mate it's poor, what other fullbacks just plonk themselves on the right hand side and barely touch the ball in the opposition half?

One of biggest reasons NSW won this year was Dyl just getting the f**k out of the way. Teddy kills every side he's in
and you say I hold my opinion so high…

You seem to think you know better than the best Rugby League brains in the world.. interesting take.

You might need to re-adjust your thinking, I know for a fact that Ivan thinks Dylan is more than capable wearing the 6 in the future……. That will do your head in I’m sure…

Chins get the wins

First Grade
and you say I hold my opinion so high…

You seem to think you know better than the best Rugby League brains in the world.. interesting take.

You might need to re-adjust your thinking, I know for a fact that Ivan thinks Dylan is more than capable wearing the 6 in the future……. That will do your head in I’m sure…
He can barely pass a football.

And I own every call I make on here unlike yourself

Luke Bowden

First Grade
He can barely pass a football.

And I own every call I make on here unlike yourself
I very rarely make “calls”.

it’s not hard to watch a team play and then state what is quite clearly happening. That’s not really making a call, that’s just describing what’s occurring.

age.s

First Grade
And Dyl isn't even close to the worst attacking fullback in the comp. That's some patented Chins hyperbole right there. He's obviously stronger in other areas but he's better with the ball than plenty of the plodders going around atm.

A list of fbs who are worse in attack off the top of my head.
Gutho
Sloan (has great moments but rarely gets involved)
Turbo (plodder now sadly)
Teddy
Kennedy
Tracey
Bula (this one is close though)
CNK (also close)

Dyls great at finding gaps in the defense, see his line breaks in the Sharks prelim and has just enough subtlety in his passing game now to cause to defenders to pause momentarily, certainly enough to finish off advantages made further infield. He's no Walsh but worst attacking fullback in the comp is an insane take.

Chins get the wins

First Grade
And Dyl isn't even close to the worst attacking fullback in the comp. That's some patented Chins hyperbole right there. He's obviously stronger in other areas but he's better with the ball than plenty of the plodders going around atm.

A list of fbs who are worse in attack off the top of my head.
Gutho
Sloan (has great moments but rarely gets involved)
Turbo (plodder now sadly)
Teddy
Kennedy
Tracey
Bula (this one is close though)
CNK (also close)

Dyls great at finding gaps in the defense, see his line breaks in the Sharks prelim and has just enough subtlety in his passing game now to cause to defenders to pause momentarily, certainly enough to finish off advantages made further infield. He's no Walsh but worst attacking fullback in the comp is an insane take.
By far the worst ballplayer then.

Edwards is a throwback to fullbacks before Mini, Locky and Slater. The position has changed and having 3 excellent playmakers in Nath, Luai and Yeo has covered for him

The Realist

Juniors
I am with Chins on this one. I 100% understand what he is trying to say.

Edwards is not a good attacking fullback. He used to be diabolically bad, back in 2020 he was a shit show and the ball would die with him. He butchered a try in the 2020 GF. Now he is somewhat competent and it's a testament to his effort to improve.

Edwards works in the Panthers system because it maximises his strengths (Defensive positioning/organisation, Fitness, Post contact metres) and minimises his weaknesses (lack of playmaking, passing, Speed and clean linebreaking).

I clearly appreciate him now after being a big critic but if you put Edwards in any other 1st Grade team - he doesn't look anywhere near as good as he does with us and to be honest, those other teams results would suffer as well.

Mitch Kenny is also very similar. He is an odd ball Hooker in the NRL. Would struggle to make the starting side in many if not most sides. But for us there almost isn't anyone more suited.

And I think Chins is right on the money as to why we can have 2 of 4 spine members who are ordinary in attack - because Yeo contributes to play making more than any other lock in the game. And yes, I accept the fact that Yeo didn't ball play as much in 24 as he did in 23.

Why? Because the League has listened to the likes of Andrew John's whose advice was to rush Yeo because he often defaults to running when rushed. But that just made Yeo more effective at gaining metres and getting quick Play the balls against a scattered defense which makes the job of Kenny/Halfback/Five Eighth easier.

Kilkenny

Coach
I've said he's the best defensive fullback I've ever seen. His limitations are very obvious on the other side of the ball.
I couldn’t disagree more, you don’t make more metres than @ny other player in the game in consecutive seasons unless you offer something with the ball in hand. His running metres, tackle breaks, line breaks, try assists stack up against the best the guy has been a freak and without Dylan we simply don’t win four premiership’s back to back.

Chins get the wins

First Grade
I couldn’t disagree more, you don’t make more metres than @ny other player in the game in consecutive seasons unless you offer something with the ball in hand. His running metres, tackle breaks, line breaks, try assists stack up against the best the guy has been a freak and without Dylan we simply don’t win four premiership’s back to back.
You're missing the point. I agree he's been fantastic but he'll need to improve his ballplaying out of sight if Nathan has another year like 2024

lsta5838

Juniors
Tough to leave Coote off the list? That and Braith Anasta who had one game at fullback for us in 2009.. wait that was the Roosters!

Have to go Dylan, his impact in organizing our defense wins it along with dirty work in returns etc. As a few said, he had sometimes stifled our attack, was true and used to kill a few overlaps but he has gained confidence now and can ice them.

soc123_au

Staff member
Why? Because the League has listened to the likes of Andrew John's whose advice was to rush Yeo because he often defaults to running when rushed. But that just made Yeo more effective at gaining metres and getting quick Play the balls against a scattered defense which makes the job of Kenny/Halfback/Five Eighth easier.
This part is what makes Yeo one of the greats. He can adjust to the situation and be just as effective in an entirely different way.

age.s

First Grade
I know what people are saying about Dyl and a year ago I'd have agreed. My main gripes with Chins statement are a) I think his ball playing in particular got a lot better this year and b) there are some very ordinary attacking fullbacks running around.

Kilkenny

Coach
A friend of mine, former employee of the Panthers, who has been involved with a number of NRL and ESL clubs made the point recently over a few beers that Dylan Edwards contribution will never be fully understood or appreciated until he is gone, retired. Probably true in many respects.

Chins get the wins

First Grade
A friend of mine, former employee of the Panthers, who has been involved with a number of NRL and ESL clubs made the point recently over a few beers that Dylan Edwards contribution will never be fully understood or appreciated until he is gone, retired. Probably true in many respects.
In the big games sure but Laurie pretty much matched his numbers when playing 1.

Edwards is brilliant but limited

Kilkenny

Coach
We’ve been blessed over many, many years with really, really good fullbacks but the two standouts are Wesser and Edwards. Very different players, prime Rhys was electrifying I have so many memories of his speed and brilliance but Dylan has gone past him for what he has been able to achieve over this past four - five seasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts