What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Panthers cap crisis.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Panthers wouldn't have been shelling out too much of their own coin for Lewis as they would've been getting a loyalty discount for him from the NRL.

So its possible that the money spent on new players has exceeded the money gained from letting Lewis go.

Jennings should accept the offer of having the % increase removed from his contract. How much more coin does the greedy prick need?

Does he want money, or does he want his club to be successful?

soc123_au

Staff member
Surely this can't be right. Chris Armit has retired, so there's at least 400-500k extra in the kitty.

True enough, when we got him from the dogs it allowed them to sign up a heap of new talent. He would have been on some serious coin. :crazy:

I think the whole story is Rothfield & his minions having another dig at Phillip Ronald.

eozsmiles

Bench
Should be able to shame one of them into leaving. Put Jennings in reggies and tell him that he can pocket the coin at Penrith but he can kiss his rep jumpers goodbye as he'll never see a 1st grade field again.

no name

Coach
Panthers wouldn't have been shelling out too much of their own coin for Lewis as they would've been getting a loyalty discount for him from the NRL.

So its possible that the money spent on new players has exceeded the money gained from letting Lewis go.

Jennings should accept the offer of having the % increase removed from his contract. How much more coin does the greedy prick need?

Does he want money, or does he want his club to be successful?

If he takes the pay cut, he'll probably end up with neither.

Dogs Of War

Coach
Well if the rumours are true, then they are just trying to clear cap space to fit thurston in, we'll at least be in a position to make an offer that's hard to refuse.

hardbaby

Coach
I am almost positive that Gould was aiming free up money for Thurston by getting rid of Jennings and front-loading other players' contracts. Then Jennings decided to linger and that is where the true problem lies. Gould needs to free up cash. The good news if you are a Panthers supporter is that Thurston is 95% coming to Penrith in 2014. So there is a silver lining to this storm cloud IMO.

BunniesMan

Immortal
If you think a 31 year old JT will be worth the 7 figures he'll be making in 2014...

While I agree big name players are best suited to playing for big teams in big cities I don't know if he'll be a world beater in 2014. Will the Panthers be getting there moneys worth. And will what they are doing here be worth it.

franklin2323

Immortal
Because the alleged problem is it's a %. So it works the same whether the cap is 5m or 6m or 128m.

It's not like Inglis' deal. It's say (In Jennings case) $600k + 5% of the cap rise. Say with have a $6m cap. It's $200k on the clauses.

Leaves $800k left. The minimum wage will rise but players like Smith & Kingston are on decent money replace with minimum wage and there's a decent offer there.

Roosters aside no club has the contacts to ch9 footy show etc. We need someone to run the halfback academy. Set him up post footy.

butchmcdick

Post Whore
Nah the titans will sign thurston on a big money deal like they have every other player.

I wish my club had a cap like the titans

Frailty

First Grade
It's not like Inglis' deal. It's say (In Jennings case) $600k + 5% of the cap rise. Say with have a $6m cap. It's $200k on the clauses.

Leaves $800k left. The minimum wage will rise but players like Smith & Kingston are on decent money replace with minimum wage and there's a decent offer there.

Roosters aside no club has the contacts to ch9 footy show etc. We need someone to run the halfback academy. Set him up post footy.

Where are you getting $200k from?

If the Salary Cap moves up to $6m from $4.4m it was this year, and Jennings has a clause saying 5% of any increase - he is getting an extra $80k (leaving $1.52m of additional cap). Of course, we don't know if the $600k figure thrown around includes the club based incentives for making the State of Origin team.

franklin2323

Immortal
Where are you getting $200k from?If the Salary Cap moves up to $6m from $4.4m

We don't have Thurston for 2013. The cap in 2013 is $5m. They will get a share of the $600k jump for 2013 aswell. I didn't count that because we aren't trying to raise $1m for 2013.

I worked it as we are on the cap as it stands for next year. I assume Gus is using 3rd party & stuff now so that would drop them without knowing that it's all estimates.

I just used round figures $600k as of 2013. Roberts, O'Donnell, Pangai etc will get extra as the minmum wage rises but no actual cap yet to work it out.

franklin2323

Immortal
Where are you getting $200k from?If the Salary Cap moves up to $6m from $4.4m

We don't have Thurston for 2013. The cap in 2013 is $5m. They will get a share of the $600k jump for 2013 aswell. I didn't count that because we aren't trying to raise $1m for 2013. I used those figures to explain unlike Inglis (15% of the cap). It's a bonus type instead.

I worked it as we are on the cap as it stands for next year. I assume Gus is using 3rd party & stuff now so that would drop them without knowing that it's all estimates.

I just used round figures $600k as of 2013. Roberts, O'Donnell, Pangai etc will get extra as the minmum wage rises but no actual cap yet to work it out.

stormbati

Bench
Should be able to shame one of them into leaving. Put Jennings in reggies and tell him that he can pocket the coin at Penrith but he can kiss his rep jumpers goodbye as he'll never see a 1st grade field again.

:lol: I think the joke will be on Penrith paying so much for a reserve grade player and how long do you think the other players and fans will cop it!

How can anyone be against these blokes for getting their coin!!

eozsmiles

Bench
Nah the titans will sign thurston on a big money deal like they have every other player.

I wish my club had a cap like the titans

I reckon JT and the Bronco's will be a decent match. Makes sense with the commercial opportunities available to him in Brissy.

eozsmiles

Bench
:lol: I think the joke will be on Penrith paying so much for a reserve grade player and how long do you think the other players and fans will cop it!

Can't begrudge them getting the money they are entitled to. I'm just saying that if they are going to move someone it will probably be done by stinging their ego and making them unhappy.

betcats

Referee

I am when it hurts my team, they can get there money elsewhere.

Thats four players that came through the grades at penrith, we might of payed them silly but atleast we aren't cheating and then trying to justify it by whinging about something every club faces.

franklin2323

Immortal
I am when it hurts my team, they can get there money elsewhere.

Thats four players that came through the grades at penrith, we might of payed them silly but atleast we aren't cheating and then trying to justify it by whinging about something every club faces.

Damn right. I don't know a Panthers fan that doesn't think they aren't overpaid. The contract didn't say if a tubby guy with red to grey hair and a huge ego takes over you don't get paid. Find a way to make it work

Latest posts