What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Panthers v Cowboys

GongPanther

Referee
I wouldn't be critical of anyone after that performance, they really turned up to play tonight. Our forwards crushed the most vaunted pack in the competition.
In any game,it's easy to nitpick where one could find the most trivial negative point,even after a GF win. For some,it seems that they simply can't take it for what it was ,which is a resounding victory against the odds.

They knew that they have a 10 day break before the game V Parra.So IMO they approached this game with a finals attitude,and the lads deserve every credit that comes their way.

GongPanther

Referee
Posted this in the wrong thread
The Frog's Player Ratings

Edwards 7
Mansour 7
Whare 6
Blake 7
Crichton 7
Peachey 6
Maloney 9
Fisher-Harris 8
Wallace 7
Campbell-Gillard 8
Yeo 6
Kikau 8
Merrin 6

Tamou 5
Harawira-Naera 6
Leota 7
Egan 4 (limited minutes)
Thought Maloney deserves an 11. (one more than ten) :)

Pomoz

Bench
The more I look at the game and the stats, the more I conclude the pack was awesome. JFH, CHN and RCG were just so aggressive. Merrin fed off that and was doing a great locks job getting involved in lots of tackles. Kikau was a handful and also showed he has a half decent engine.

Besides the aggression, the other thing is, they are all fit as a butcher's dog. If there is one thing that has improved markedly under Hook, it's fitness and conditioning. JFH made 50 tackles! I had a sleepless night imagining, Hess, Tamaulolo, Bolton, Scott, McLean and Asiata stomping over Maloney and the pack driving up the middle like Panzers. Instead, they got belted and wrapped up Storm style.

We limited their pack to 5 offloads. They had 7 more sets than us. 7! They made 421 post contact metres. We made 407 with 42 fewer possessions. We averaged 36m per set, they averaged 34m.

This is a pack with a forward who averages 200m a game and the Australian number 1 prop (sure he is coming back from injury, but so is JFH and CHN). We beat that pack fair and square with 5 fewer penalties and a player sin binned. Without the home town reffing, they would have lost by 40 points.

Three weeks in a row we have matched the biggest packs in the NRL. If the ref disallows the obstruction try last week (as the nrl has now admitted they should have) we are 4 from 4 and we have only played well once. Better still, we are not winning by Moylan or Cartwright plucking something out of their arses, entertaining though that is, we are grinding out wins with effort and fitness. Last night was effort, fitness and for the first time, skill.

Last edited:

mxlegend99

Referee
Panthers odds against Eels have shortened a bit.

Last night I put money on us at $2.40, today it's already $1.90 and after our game against Cowboys I expect the odds to swing a lot more. Im think we will be $1.50 favorites atleast.

mxlegend99

Referee
The more I look at the game and the stats, the more I conclude the pack was awesome. JFH, CHN and RCG were just so aggressive. Merrin fed off that and was doing a great locks job getting involved in lots of tackles. Kikau was a handful and also showed he has a half decent engine.

Besides the aggression, the other thing is, they are all fit as a butcher's dog. If there is one thing that has improved markedly under Hook, it's fitness and conditioning. JFH made 50 tackles! I had a sleepless night imagining, Hess, Tamaulolo, Bolton, Scott, McLean and Asiata stomping over Maloney and the pack driving up the middle like Panzers. Instead, they got belted and wrapped up Storm style.

We limited their pack to 5 offloads. They had 7 more sets than us. 7! They made 421 post contact metres. We made 407 with 42 fewer possessions. We averaged 36m per set, they averaged 34m.

This is a pack with a forward who averages 200m a game and the Australian number 1 prop (sure he is coming back from injury, but so is JFH and CHN). We beat that pack fair and square with 5 fewer penalties and a player sin binned. Without the home town reffing, they would have lost by 40 points.

Three weeks in a row we have matched the biggest packs in the NRL. If the ref disallows the obstruction try last week (as the nrl has no admitted they should have) we are 4 from 4 and we have only played well once. Better still, we are not winning by Moylan or Cartwright plucking something out of their arses, entertaining though that is, we are grinding out wins with effort and fitness. Last night was effort, fitness and for the first time, skill.
Jfh looks so good in the middle. He and RCG can control the tempo of the game in the middle. JFH defensively. RCG with his runs. Our pack was ontop from the start. Kikau starting helped.

OldPanther

Coach

Three weeks in a row we have matched the biggest packs in the NRL. If the ref disallows the obstruction try last week (as the nrl has no admitted they should have) we are 4 from 4 and we have only played well once. Better still, we are not winning by Moylan or Cartwright plucking something out of their arses, entertaining though that is, we are grinding out wins with effort and fitness. Last night was effort, fitness and for the first time, skill.

The fact we won while they had the better of the stats as you've said shows something special. That effort is what we've all been waiting for. That's the top 4 squad I've been saying exists since the off season.

Pomoz

Bench
Jfh looks so good in the middle. He and RCG can control the tempo of the game in the middle. JFH defensively. RCG with his runs. Our pack was ontop from the start. Kikau starting helped.
Kikau's stamina surprised me. He really is going to be awesome once he fills out a bit and matures physically. F%ck. Imagine that!

TheFrog

Coach
Ok watched the game twice now and if Jimmy is going to be that dominant then it's the perfect time to debut Luai. The Eels ain't shit
Somewhere between what we saw last night and what we saw in Rd 1 and 2 would about cover it for BBQ I reckon.

I was going to have something to say about disrespecting opponents, but I don't know whether you are saying the Eels are shit or they are not shit. It doesn't matter anyway. Shit teams quickly change to worldbeaters, and vice versa at this time of year.

Somewhere between what we saw last night and what we saw in Rd 1 and 2 would about cover it for BBQ I reckon.

I was going to have something to say about disrespecting opponents, but I don't know whether you are saying the Eels are shit or they are not shit. It doesn't matter anyway. Shit teams quickly change to worldbeaters, and vice versa at this time of year.
Eels are shit. Very weak pack and soft halves who go missing

OldPanther

Coach
Just watching the game and the set where Leota gets driven back just played.

It was Tamou's fault. He got dominated with a poor hit up and it set the next runner up for failure. At the time I blamed Leota and it wasn't fair on him.

Latest posts