What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Panthers v Parra

I’d give Ivan one more year. Past that and while we might have taken a big step forward, you’d have to put a line through him as the guy to get us a premiership. In saying that he’ll have hopefully learned a lot this past few years in what it takes to steer a heavyweight into the final straight at top speed. He’s never had to do it before. Our core are all just starting to hit their prime and our experience across the 17 will actuaply be going up next year as well so they are only going to get better at the big moments I think.
Nup, ivan is a very good coach, I don’t think you appreciate how good his record is.

Ivan has been outstanding. You wouldn’t be here without his tactics, insight and communication skills.

What’s his % win rate? And you want to scare him? Come on, let’s be logical. He’s exceptional

soc123_au

Staff member
Dinky it’s well known he has “creative differences” with Ivan and he’s flat out refusing to deny reports he will leave next season.

Some say he will even replace Madge for our pre-season.

Hopefully he can bring my beloved Kiks. But the High Street is littered is youngsters. you trip over them on the way to Westfields after giving a police interview at the cop shop near Panther kebab.
Where is it well known? Any links to substantiate your claims?

i couldnt care if we get bundled out in the second week. I am just happy to have a team that wins more than looses.
I love that we are in the contest every week and that we are disciplined. Spent many of years in the eastern grandstand looking at missed tackle, after knock-on, after penalty.

And when you have seen Peter Jorgensen, a man who had both his hamstrings surgically removed, be run done by opposition forwards in less than 10 yards, you realise that a choice of Edward’s, Staines or Critta is a luxury (no offence to Jorgo; had a good career across two codes but he lost whatever speed he did have towards the end there; thank god that Wesser came along).

Last edited:

This is a pretty good article, but misses one of the best, in my view the best. The final round of 2003. Penrith Stadium, 23,304 crowd. Parra playing for 8th spot, which was theirs if they could win by 27. Panthers playing for the minor premiership. There has never been a bigger game than this between these clubs. Parra started on fire, leading 10-0 in better than even time. Then bombed another try before Panthers clicked into gear scoring back to back. Parra would get back to 16-12 in front with a 3rd try but that was the end of the section. Penrith had reached 40 before Parra troubled the scorer again.
A Wesser special that day as well straight from the play the ball. He was untouchable that year.

We lost 3 games all year in any other year, Storm had 20 wins in 2019 and 2017. Roosters lost 8 games in 2018 and won the Minor Premiership.

Out of 44 regular season games across the last 2 seasons, We have lost 4. There was an article on NRL.com about that,It is the best in 60 years. These last 2 years are history making across the game, There is no excuse for not going on with it
I agree it would be great to win a premiership, but it is not like those two years we have dominated the comp in a way that those stats would have suggest even 5 years ago. This season we came second, and there were three teams with 4 losses or less. Last year we won 92.5% of our points, but the minor premiership was only wrapped up on the second last week (and it probably would have been the last week but the Storm gave up chasing it after guaranteeing second). So great results, but other teams have had great results also.

Could have gone either way that one. Poor conversion of opportunities cost us, nothing else. I don't go along with the narrative that Souths smashed us in the forwards either. They had slightly the better of it but not by much.
I agree with your first point and largely the second; but for me South’s pack seemed to have more intensity.

That’s kind of the point though. South’s only winning by 6 when they played really well and we were nowhere our best is proof enough that we’re clearly a superior side. If we’d played at 75% of what we’re capable of, we win that game comfortably. To play at the level we did in our most important game of the year to date, there has to be an element of choke there.

No reason we can’t bounce back, but we were a poor imitation of ourselves last week regardless of whether you want to call it a choke or not.
How much of not playing well though was Souths play versus us. They executed a great game plan(really slowed the game down) perfectly.

I am hoping and to a certain degree expecting, us to take that away and learn from it. To a certain extent the loss we had to have.

Not saying we win the comp from here, but hopefully we are better prepared for those types of tactics.

The_Frog

First Grade
I agree it would be great to win a premiership, but it is not like those two years we have dominated the comp in a way that those stats would have suggest even 5 years ago. This season we came second, and there were three teams with 4 losses or less. Last year we won 92.5% of our points, but the minor premiership was only wrapped up on the second last week (and it probably would have been the last week but the Storm gave up chasing it after guaranteeing second). So great results, but other teams have had great results also.
Fewer upsets with the new rules.

Crashtest

Juniors
Dinky it’s well known he has “creative differences” with Ivan and he’s flat out refusing to deny reports he will leave next season.

Some say he will even replace Madge for our pre-season.

His creative differences were with Griffin, not Cleary, he had resigned at the Panthers until they asked him to stay and sacked Griffin instead.

His close mate Fitzgibbon offered him an assistant coaching role at the Sharks for next season. He lives in that area, so had the chance to save over 2 hours travelling time a day and work with his close mate, but chose to remain at the Panthers. So how bad can things be?

Of course Ciraldo won’t come out and deny he is interested in the Tigers role. All assistant coaches want to be head coaches, and the Panthers won’t stand in his way if he gets offered a head coaching role, just like they didn’t with Barrett.

TheRiff

Juniors

We were 4 wins clear of 4th this year, similar last year. We have dominated the last 2 regular seasons

Crashtest

Juniors
Nup, ivan is a very good coach, I don’t think you appreciate how good his record is.

Ivan has been outstanding. You wouldn’t be here without his tactics, insight and communication skills.

What’s his % win rate? And you want to scare him? Come on, let’s be logical. He’s exceptional
Mate, some of us on here can be rational and judge him on his current results. I personally don’t give a f**k what he did years ago at the Warriors or the Tigers.