What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Papalii turns his back on Kiwis

Meth

Staff member
Its almost a stalemate issue.

Origin earns far more money for the game than international football does, and so it only seems right for the players to share in the profits. Larger profits, larger share.

In saying that, it has kind of created this issue. It's more lucrative to play Origin, so blokes who otherwise would play for the Kiwis (Tamou, Papalii, Te'o) want to play Origin. On the one hand, this messes with my 'old school' ideas of international football being more about the pride of representing your country, with any compensation that comes your way being a nice bonus. On the other hand, these are the children of professional sport. This is their livelihood. Who can blame them for wanting to make as much money as they can while their bodies hold up? (And, as we've seen, there are no guarantees there)

I guess we ought to just become resigned to international Rugby League's best days being behind us.

Big Pete

Referee
If the ARLC doesn't do anything, absolutely but if they introduce more International series & competitions which gives the fans & players alike something to look forward to then I believe NZRL & the International game can grow.

I also believe we'll see the effect the NYC has on International League in the coming years.

RedVee

First Grade
I prefer the latter, but to be honest, along with stricter eligibility rules, the disparity in pay that exists between international football and origin football needs to be narrowed. However, I am not sure how you can do that.

Papalii has a legitimate case to play for Australia or NZ. He would be playing for NZ, if not for the pay in Origin. That's clear and that's the issue.
Then perhaps they should increase Origin pay by a little, but increase International payments to NRL players (from the NRL TV money) by a lot, no matter which Nation the player represents.

Meth

Staff member
Then perhaps they should increase Origin pay by a little, but increase International payments to NRL players (from the NRL TV money) by a lot, no matter which Nation the player represents.

Has merit. Would make Origin as a Kangaroo trial more intense. I can't see the (Origin) players going for it though...a Kiwi or Pom (or Kumul) rep getting paid for their play (that would be how they'd see it.

Its almost a stalemate issue.

Origin earns far more money for the game than international football does, and so it only seems right for the players to share in the profits. Larger profits, larger share.

In saying that, it has kind of created this issue. It's more lucrative to play Origin, so blokes who otherwise would play for the Kiwis (Tamou, Papalii, Te'o) want to play Origin. On the one hand, this messes with my 'old school' ideas of international football being more about the pride of representing your country, with any compensation that comes your way being a nice bonus. On the other hand, these are the children of professional sport. This is their livelihood. Who can blame them for wanting to make as much money as they can while their bodies hold up? (And, as we've seen, there are no guarantees there)

I guess we ought to just become resigned to international Rugby League's best days being behind us.

mate, get over it. Stop kidding yourself. You speak of pride in representing your country, yet would happily accept a bloke who would rather play for a state in Oz than NZ. The reason origin is the pinnacle of the game is because the international game is a joke. So yes, maybe some of these players would play both origin and for Kiwis if they were allowed. But they are still more Ozzie than Kiwi. But suppose origin was not the force it was. Suppose international league had a profile similar to that rugby union holds, and representing your country was indeed the pinnacle. In that setting, playing for Oz would be seen as the pinnacle, and there would exist a similar fanaticism amongst the Oz supporters as there is for the ABs in NZ. Then how do you know these same players would still not prefer to choose Oz over NZ? How many players of PI heritage in NZ, given a choice, would prefer to play for their nation of heritage over the ABs? Not very many, probably none, I would guess. If NZRL wants to avoid similar eligibility issues in the future, then one thing they could do is follow their own advice, and restrict Junior Kiwi selection to players who have spent at least 50 percent of their life in NZ. The NZRL are over aggressive with their recruitment drives, specifically targeting players of PI heritage using former players to take advantage of the PI trait of humbleness. It's just not fair on the blokes to be put in these situations. A player growing up in Oz, progressing through the system there should be left alone. If, at some point in time a player decides he wants to play for the Kiwis, it should be a move instigated at his own volition. No convincing should be necessary.

RedVee

First Grade
And today's Sun Herald has a par on a U20s player who will decide his allegiance by whoever asks him first. WTF. His name is Cassiano Aiga and evidently a cousin of Sam Kasiano.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/bu...d-by-new-zealand/story-fndujljl-1226485834296
Bulldogs prop Sam Kasiano to be named by New Zealand

KIWI officials are claiming victory in the battle for Sam Kasiano with the Bulldogs prop to be chosen tomorrow by New Zealand. Kiwi selectors have pencilled in Kasiano for the October 13 Test against the Kangaroos, despite the 130kg giant having yet to formally swear his allegiance to either country.
The Kiwis' 19-man squad will be announced tomorrow and, amid the confusion, the one certainty is Kasiano's name will be read out.
Kasiano's management were this morning frantically trying to seek a definitive call from Kasiano, who had his mobile phone turned off as the Bulldogs drowned their sorrows following their 14-4 loss to Melbourne in the grand final.
But New Zealand hierarchy are adamant Kasiano will wear black-and-white. It is understood Australian selectors will not consider the Dally M Prop of the Year unless he outlines his interest in playing for the Kangaroos, averting the embarrassment of Kasiano being picked for two nations.

NZRL high-performance manager Tony Kemp confirmed this morning Kasiano would not wear green-and-gold in the Dairy Farmers Stadium Test.
"He's a Kiwi, we've picked him in the squad," Kemp said.
"I've just spoken to Andrew Hill (NRL chief of game development) at the ARL commission and my understanding is Australia will not be picking him.
"We have left Sam alone the past few days with the grand final but in our dialogue he

has indicated he will play us.
"This talk about him representing Queensland and Australia is off the mark, he's in our squad and it will be up to the coach (Stephen Kearney) whether he is in the starting side for the Test."

Meth

Staff member
And today's Sun Herald has a par on a U20s player who will decide his allegiance by whoever asks him first. WTF. His name is Cassiano Aiga and evidently a cousin of Sam Kasiano.

Bloody hell. International allegiance has been reduced to a school formal.

Meth

Staff member
How ridiculous is the Kasiano thing. NZ are picking him to try and embarrass him into playing for the kiwis.

Yeah, that's why they're picking him. :sarcasm:

They're picking him because he's a Kiwi, you dopey dickhead. I seriously hope you don't make it to double-digit posts

hutch

First Grade
Let's be honest, kasiano should not even have the choice, it's NZ or nothing. He is a different case to papalli who was raised in aus and has legitimate links with both countries.

Latest posts