What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Papalii turns his back on Kiwis

Big Pete

Referee
Beale was a Junior Kangaroo.

Might have a case for Hoffman, have a nagging feeling he was looking forward to playing for the Indigenous side & the Maroons but there isn't an article that comes straight to mind.

Meth

Staff member
But again, Beale is a bloke who just would not really have much of a chance playing Origin or for the Kangaroos. Fien played an Origin game, but at the point he switched over to play for the Kiwis, he was nowhere near playing representative football for state or country. Same with Brent Webb.

Tamou, out and out, should be playing for the Kiwis. Papalii, it seems, would be playing for the Kiwis if Origin were not a factor.

Tamou, Papalii (especially considering his potential) >>>>> Beale, Webb and Fien

hitman82

Bench
You don't think the same thing happened with Nightingale, Hoffman, Beale etc?

All of them weren't within a bulls roar of selection for QLD/NSW/AUS when they chose to select NZ. I guess it's just easier to hate on someone for making a choice for immediate cash rather than a choice for future cash.

:lol: Pretty average comparison work there buddy. Unlike Fien and Webb - Nightingale, Hoffman and Beale (etc) have Kiwi parent(s) and legitimately wanted to represent their homeland...

Fien, Webb, Tamou, Papalii are true mercenaries.

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
:lol: Pretty average comparison work there buddy. Unlike Fien and Webb - Nightingale, Hoffman and Beale (etc) have Kiwi parent(s) and legitimately wanted to represent their homeland...

Fien, Webb, Tamou, Papalii are true mercenaries.

As has been mentioned - Beale was a junior Kangaroo. Hoffman's Mum isn't a Kiwi either. Oh and Papalii represented QLD before NZ.

Where do we draw the line? You're happy for someone to be born and bred in another country and represent NZ based on the lineage (in some cases) of only one parent, but don't like the idea of someone moving to Australia at an early age and representing them. I get the rage around Papalii back-flipping, but before his and Tamou's back-flips we had plenty of rage from Kiwi fans about other players who moved to Australia as a kid and chose AUS.

Meth

Staff member
As has been mentioned - Beale was a junior Kangaroo. Hoffman's Mum isn't a Kiwi either. Oh and Papalii represented QLD before NZ.

Where do we draw the line? You're happy for someone to be born and bred in another country and represent NZ based on the lineage (in some cases) of only one parent, but don't like the idea of someone moving to Australia at an early age and representing them. I get the rage around Papalii back-flipping, but before his and Tamou's back-flips we had plenty of rage from Kiwi fans about other players who moved to Australia as a kid and chose AUS.

If you regard 18 as being adulthood, Papalii represented QLD as a schoolboy/child and New Zealand as an adult.

Again, the issue here is not Papalii being eligible to play for Australia. The issue is that Papalii would most certainly be playing for NZ if not for the lure/lucre of Origin.

Meth

Staff member
To me, if you are born in country A, or you have a parent who is born in country A, you may represent country A.

If you move from country A (your country of birth) to country B before a certain age (I'd make it 15 less), you may choose to represent either country A or B, ideally depending on which you identify with.

If you play for the Junior Kiwis, you play for the Kiwis.

If you play for the Junior Kangaroos, you play for the Kangaroos.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
If you regard 18 as being adulthood, Papalii represented QLD as a schoolboy/child and New Zealand as an adult.

Again, the issue here is not Papalii being eligible to play for Australia. The issue is that Papalii would most certainly be playing for NZ if not for the lure/lucre of Origin.

No matter how many different ways you explain that it just doesn't get through to some people.

Frank_Grimes

First Grade

As I have stated, I have no problem with a player representing QLD and NZ. QRL/NSWRL and the ARL should not be inextricably linked. That is the real issue.

Meth

Staff member
As I have stated, I have no problem with a player representing QLD and NZ. QRL/NSWRL and the ARL should not be irrevocably linked. That is the real issue.

Fair enough. I have always been opposed, in principle, to that happening, but you have actually persuaded me in this thread that this needs to happen, really. I have never wanted to see Kiwis in Origin, but unless something is done, then we will continue to see Kiwis turning their back on the Kiwis (and weakening the international game) for no other reason but to cash in on Origin.

I'm sure we agree that in the instance that a player legitimately has grounds for choice in national representation, we don't want said player's choice to be based on which pays better. Tamou's is. Papalii's is. It's not good for the game, nor for the respect of the Kangaroo or Kiwi jerseys.

Something needs to be done. Perhaps your proposal is what needs to happen.

Grapple

Bench
Meth, you're a good sort. Completely agree as a kiwi who both loves Origin but is loving international games a bit less (and league in general) these days. Like so many things in our game it needs to get sorted over the off season and Frank's pretty much on the money.

Big Pete

Referee
I'm just sick of these players flip flopping and having the QRL, NSWRL & NZRL fighting over them. It really makes our game look amateur and needs to be sorted.

There's two ways you can go, you make Origin more accessible or you make the eligibility rules stricter & decided upon when they're younger.

I'd much prefer the latter because Origin to me is Queensland, Australia vs. New South Wales, Australia.

I'm just sick of these players flip flopping and having the QRL, NSWRL & NZRL fighting over them. It really makes our game look amateur and needs to be sorted.

There's two ways you can go, you make Origin more accessible or you make the eligibility rules stricter & decided upon when they're younger.

I'd much prefer the latter because Origin to me is Queensland, Australia vs. New South Wales, Australia.

No to Origin more accessible also. Nor do I have a problem with Pap playing for the Maroons. He's more Maroon than he is Kiwi, despite any confusion that he may have had with the issue.

Watch the eligibility shit that bubbles again at RL World Cup time. National musical chairs.

Meth

Staff member

I prefer the latter, but to be honest, along with stricter eligibility rules, the disparity in pay that exists between international football and origin football needs to be narrowed. However, I am not sure how you can do that.

Papalii has a legitimate case to play for Australia or NZ. He would be playing for NZ, if not for the pay in Origin. That's clear and that's the issue.

Meth

Staff member
Meth, you're a good sort. Completely agree as a kiwi who both loves Origin but is loving international games a bit less (and league in general) these days. Like so many things in our game it needs to get sorted over the off season and Frank's pretty much on the money.

I know how you feel.

I have gone from being an ardent QLD supporter to now having a passing interest in Origin because it's Rugby League on a Wednesday night. And I am only watching International League out of respect for the Kiwi blokes wearing the black jersey.

Latest posts