What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Papalii turns his back on Kiwis

Aragorn

First Grade
mate, if the guy holds an aussie passport, doesn't that give you a good indication about his loyalty?

I bet 3/4 of our kiwi squad are holding australian passports with australian citizenship, and living in australia......

hitman82

Bench
I've always thought that if someone says they are 100% Kiwi, that means they entirely identify with this country and culture; presumably something which does not suddenly change?

Papalii is eligible for Origin - that's cool - good for him.

But he shouldn't play for the Kangaroos. He should play for the Kiwis, as he considers himself one. A wad of cash shouldn't be allowed to change national allegiance... shit like that dilutes the passion and pride in our game.

Did you Australians feel good about having Tamou "it was a career decision" standing silent through your national anthem?

Will you feel good about Papalii doing the same?

Let the Origin selectors keep it up - before long you will have an anthem sung only by the fat guy with the microphone on, while 34 brown guys with maori and samoan tattoos stand wordless haha.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Papalii just bleeds for the Queensland jersey. You must be so proud to have him in the selectors thoughts.
H
"I know now ... I'm Kiwi 100 per cent," Papalii said.

"I went on a tour with Junior Kiwis a few months ago and the bond amongst the boys was too strong. There was a lot of love there amongst my brothers and it's something I'm desperate to be a part of again."

Also a 6 year old not being able to remember leaving somewhere. Turn it up.

You can't defend this.

Of course I can defend this. If international Rugby League was treated like SOO he would have been forced to play for Queensland and therefore Australia anyway.

The guy was put under pressure to play for NZ. The decision shouldn't have even been his to make. He has lived in Australia longer than NZ, he has played all his league for Australian clubs and he has represented Queensland previously to representing NZ at junior level.

If he had played for NZ it would have been the kiwis (who cannot produce their own talent) stealing an Australian talent. Fact.

andrew057

First Grade
I've always thought that if someone says they are 100% Kiwi, that means they entirely identify with this country and culture; presumably something which does not suddenly change?

Papalii is eligible for Origin - that's cool - good for him.

But he shouldn't play for the Kangaroos. He should play for the Kiwis, as he considers himself one. A wad of cash shouldn't be allowed to change national allegiance... shit like that dilutes the passion and pride in our game.

Did you Australians feel good about having Tamou "it was a career decision" standing silent through your national anthem?

Will you feel good about Papalii doing the same?

Let the Origin selectors keep it up - before long you will have an anthem sung only by the fat guy with the microphone on, while 34 brown guys with maori and samoan tattoos stand wordless haha.

What are you talking about? Josh has lived in Australia since he was 6. If he knew any anthem one would assume it would be the Australian not NZ anthem.

Son of Minto

Bench
Papalii just bleeds for the Queensland jersey.

He does

tumblr_mau7aw62bw1rhwdhso1_400.jpg

hitman82

Bench
What are you talking about? Josh has lived in Australia since he was 6. If he knew any anthem one would assume it would be the Australian not NZ anthem.

Quite obviously, I am talking about the part where he states "I am 100% Kiwi".

Why would someone who is "100% Kiwi" want to sing the national anthem of Australia? More to the point, would you even want them singing it?

Quite often, time doesn't mean anything to heritage and cultural identification, as per the 100% Kiwi quote. But pay packets do...

If you are happy with Origin / Kangaroos becoming teams of mercenaries, that's cool :)

mean_maori_mean

Juniors
Quite obviously, I am talking about the part where he states "I am 100% Kiwi".

Why would someone who is "100% Kiwi" want to sing the national anthem of Australia? More to the point, would you even want them singing it?

Quite often, time doesn't mean anything to heritage and cultural identification, as per the 100% Kiwi quote. But pay packets do...

If you are happy with Origin / Kangaroos becoming teams of mercenaries, that's cool :)

I agree totally mate ...aussie as so proud (rightfully) of their history in rugby league and the killer kangaroos team they have had in the past.

but for such a proud nation - (Australia) and such great depth, pathways etc.
I think something will actually change ...because regardless of your opinions (which side of the fence you are on) it is devaluing our game.
The pride will come into play - while people use nathan fien as a comeback. etc.
Im not trying to start a battle

Is not clear?
Papalii, Tamou, Kasiano - would all prefer to play for Origin and
Not Australia - they would rather play for New Zealand than Australia.
That is the truth - I thought that it would have been tipping point for change. But no big changes have been introduced.
However many have pushed it aside saying they were developed in aussies etc.
Which in some cases true (many not) however doesnt make them australians (more so simply aussie developed).

Change are required.
What changes? well you cant remove choice of the player (in all cases).
But something needs to change with origin in particular.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Of course I can defend this. If international Rugby League was treated like SOO he would have been forced to play for Queensland and therefore Australia anyway.

The guy was put under pressure to play for NZ. The decision shouldn't have even been his to make. He has lived in Australia longer than NZ, he has played all his league for Australian clubs and he has represented Queensland previously to representing NZ at junior level.

If he had played for NZ it would have been the kiwis (who cannot produce their own talent) stealing an Australian talent. Fact.

In all seriousness, you do realise that constantly saying that when anyone with a brain knows that's not the case (as I assume you do as well) really dilutes the genuine points you make, which then makes it easy to dismiss your entire post as the rambling of a pretentious twat rather than giving it a proper response?

Perth Red

Post Whore
He was born and lived 6 years in NZ, lived 12 years in Q'land and 2 years in ACT. Are we now saying SOO and Australia eligibility is based on which part of the world you have lived longest in? Whole thing has become a joke.

Juju

Juniors

Really really poor argument. How do you reconcile / defend Tamou's, Teo's (or Kasiano's possible) selection then?

Does this really sound like a proud Australian to you?
"I know now ... I'm Kiwi 100 per cent,"

Go read Tamou's post selection thoughts and tell me your convinced he made his choice because he feels Australian.

It's as clear as day they are selecting Origin for money and would play for the Kiwis over the Kangaroos and pretty clear SOO selectors think nothing of the international game.

FYI the Australian Union team is even worse at selecting Kiwis than any of these teams.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
We are talking about Papalii here a talent produced by Australian Rugby League not New Zealand.

Perth Red

Post Whore
A Kiwi produced by Australian RL!

Sad fact is SOO and its burgeoning pay cheque has the massive potential to totally destroy what is left of Int RL (not that there is much left these days). As insular as most Australian RL fans are surely you cannot think this is a good thing?

I'd change eligiblity to:

SOO selection does not mean giving up your Int eligibility to Australia

You have to have a passport/be a citizen of the country you are nominating to represent.

Once you nominate a country you can not change it until after the following world cup and you need to decide 12 months post that WC date. Once decided you are locked in to that country until after the next WC.

SOO should be based on being born in that state or having lived majority of your life in that state.

Ridiculous that we could one day see Vic and WA born, raised, trained and debuted play for NSW just because they played SG Ball.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
lol Perth Red please inform the class how Josh Papalii was produced by NZRL. You fool.

Out of your criteria you posted Papalii was raised, trained and debuted Queensland. He was born in NZ sure but how much does that count in who he is as a League player.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Call me old fashioned but for me International representation is about who you are, where you were born and what you identify yourself as, not some self justifying recognition of the RL body that happend to train you.

ozbash

Referee
Call me old fashioned but for me International representation is about who you are, where you were born and what you identify yourself as, not some self justifying recognition of the RL body that happend to train you.

True, Petes talking kak. Does that mean a kiwi or aussie athelete who developes his sporting skills while on a scholarship from anAmerican university should rep the USA ?