What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Papalii turns his back on Kiwis

hutch

First Grade
True, Petes talking kak. Does that mean a kiwi or aussie athelete who developes his sporting skills while on a scholarship from anAmerican university should rep the USA ?

Their is a difference between an immigrant to a country playing for that country and not the one he left as a young child and somebody moving to another country on a scholarship!

Meth

Staff member
Call me old fashioned but for me International representation is about who you are, where you were born and what you identify yourself as, not some self justifying recognition of the RL body that happend to train you.

Exactly. The 'development' argument is ridiculous, given Rugby League is a professional sport and Australia is the base of professional Rugby League in the Southern Hemisphere is in Australia.

In saying that, I can respect that some individuals may legitimately be in a position where they should be afforded the right to choose the country that they best identify with. By any reasonable eligibility laws, Josh Papalii is one of those players.

I don't think that representing QLD in age-grade Rugby League should oblige you to representing Australia.

I do think that representing the Junior Kiwis should oblige you to represent New Zealand (and equally, Junior Kangaroos to representing Australia) as, at that point, you are an adult.

My problem with Papalii is not that he chose Australia over New Zealand. My problem is that Papalii chose New Zealand over Australia (publicly) and then blatantly chose QLD ($$) over both.

hitman82

Bench
My problem with Papalii is not that he chose Australia over New Zealand. My problem is that Papalii chose New Zealand over Australia (publicly) and then blatantly chose QLD ($$) over both.

Exactly. And in all likelihood, he will sully the Australian jersey for the sole reason of getting an Origin pay-day.

Similar to past occurrences such as Fien and Webb for the Kiwis, and recently Tamou for the Kangaroos and NSW and Teo for QLD - surely supporters of both sides have had enough of players selling out their "true" allegiance?

International rugby league has enough issues without becoming a soulless mercenary battle, with sides determined by who can get the best pay packet representing state teams...

Meth

Staff member
It's amazing how often Australians throw back Fien and Webb in Kiwis' faces. We don't want them in the black jersey either.

hitman82

Bench
Agreed. And hopefully now Fien and Webb are out of the picture, it will never happen again with the Kiwis.

But just to put things in perspective - those guys were never a chance to secure an Australian jersey. IF Australia land Kasiano - with Tamou they will have an all-Kiwi starting front row, and league's number 1 up-and-coming Kiwi enforcer on the bench. Hilarious!

Meth

Staff member
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=10836492

The Papali'i backflip (in his own words)

March 12
"I know now. I'm 100 per cent Kiwi."

April 8
"It's pretty hard when someone like Mal [Meninga] asks you to come across."

September 23
"I'm 50-50 at the moment."

September 24
"I've got the passion to play for Queensland, I always cried if they lost and it's always been a passion of mine to try to get there."

Meth

Staff member
Eight players who had been in line for Junior Kiwis selection have been ruled ineligible after committing to Queensland and NSW at junior level.

"Some leadership needs to be shown by the NRL," Kemp said. "They have to be embarrassed by what is going on. Josh Papali'i was in the Junior Kiwis the last two years. He declared himself that 100 per cent he was playing for New Zealand. Now you've got to ask why did he do a backflip? It's purely based on money. It's not about the retention of Kiwi hearts any more."

Son of Minto

Bench

Son of Minto

Bench
Agreed. And hopefully now Fien and Webb are out of the picture, it will never happen again with the Kiwis.

But just to put things in perspective - those guys were never a chance to secure an Australian jersey. IF Australia land Kasiano - with Tamou they will have an all-Kiwi starting front row, and league's number 1 up-and-coming Kiwi enforcer on the bench. Hilarious!

Kasiano wouldnt start and he wouldnt get a game. Papalii and Tamou in the same team? Maybe in 3 years.

hitman82

Bench
Kasiano wouldnt start and he wouldnt get a game. Papalii and Tamou in the same team? Maybe in 3 years.

I think you'd find the Dally M prop of the year would get a spot in the Kangaroos. I guarantee, if not in the October test, at some stage during the world cup next year, these 3 guys will all be Kangaroos... presuming the farcical rules don't change between now and then.

It's pretty simple: they're only choosing Australia because they want the Origin pay packet. Take out the "must declare for Kangaroos" clause, and we have no problem.

I realise it couldn't be made retrospective, but Origin would be better with the future equivalents of guys like Marshall, Nightingale, Pritchard, Foran etc.

Then it would be a true international NRL all-stars series ...as it is pretty much becoming anyway... but without destroying the international game.

Walt Flanigan

Referee
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=10836492

The Papali'i backflip (in his own words)

March 12
"I know now. I'm 100 per cent Kiwi."

April 8
"It's pretty hard when someone like Mal [Meninga] asks you to come across."

September 23
"I'm 50-50 at the moment."

September 24
"I've got the passion to play for Queensland, I always cried if they lost and it's always been a passion of mine to try to get there."

So everything a teenager says can be taken as gospel?

Meth

Staff member
2001 Dally M winner Preston Campbell's rep career consists of a whopping 3 games for Country. Nothing else.

I don't rate Kasiano as highly as everybody else seems to. Not even the second best prop at the Dogs, let alone the best prop in the comp.