What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parallels with Perth Glory

WA Eel

Juniors
I was thinking about the recurring themes of "do we replace the coach" and "Parra are chokers" and it dawned on me how Parra´s current situation is very similar to the Perth Glory soccer club a few years ago.

Both a financially sound clubs with a large and demanding supporter base. Both had a highly respected coach, with a habit of buying bargain basement players and turning them into starts (Smith and Bernd Stange). Both coaches were credited with turning around their repective clubs from being at best average to being regular finals contenders. However, both coaches failed to bring home the ultimate prize.

The Glory, like Parra was making a habit of being the best team in the regular season, then falling at the final hurdle. In the 2000 Ericcson Cup final against Wollongong in Perth, they were up 3 - 0 at half time, only to lose in a penalty shootout. The Glory would then go on to contest and lose two more grand finals.

At that point, the club had decided that it would not resign coach Bernd Stange - a move that resulted in the fans protesting at the game and boycotting "Chicken Treat", the fast food franchise owned by the Glory´s owner. Stange was signed on for 1 more year, but that year the Glory failed to make the grand final.

The following year, Bernd Stange´s assistant coach, Mich D´Avery was appointed as head coach. Which he made changes, as all new coaches do, he didn´t initiate a mass cleanout of the club. He simply built on what Bern Stange had started and added his own ideas. That year, the Glory finally lost their "chokers" tag and when on to win the grand final. From that point on, the Glory simply didn´t know how to lose grand finals.

This is exactly where I see Parra at the moment. We have a coach who all recognise has turned the club around, but has not delivered the ultimate prize. All are in agreement that next year would be his last, but there are arguments as to whether his replacement must be new to the club or whether it should be someone who´s worked under him. Finally, when Brian Smith goes, do we need a mass cleanout of the club, releasing senior players "scarred by years of failure".

Based on what had happened at the Glory, I don´t believe that the incoming coach must come from outside the club and no I don´t believe there needs to be a cleanout. A hand full of players who played in the Glory´s first championship win had played in the 2000 loss. The rest had played in the subsequent grand final loses. Similarly, a hand full of players remain from 2001 and the rest are involved in this year´s debacle against the Cowboys.

I do believe that this years loss will spur the players on next year. If not next year, then the year after. When we finally win the grand final, whether it be next year or 2007, it will basically be on the back of a lot of hard work by Brian Smith, just as the Glory´s championship wins were on the back of Bernd Stange years in charge. Hopefully, like the Glory, when we finally break through to win one, more will follow.

Oh yeah, one final similarity - most of the fans HATE the Glory´s owner, Nick Tana just as most fans dislike Denis Fitzgerald.

Zippy Eel

Juniors
Do we need a "cleanout"? IMO no we don't.

Is there going to be a "cleanout"? I think there might be. I can think of about 7 1st grade players off the top of my head that are not going to be there post 2006. This may or may not be a good thing. It will mean upgrades for junior players like Tim Smith, Ben Smith, Brett Delany, Joel Reddy etc, and a fair bit of money left under the cap. Yet this could be a bad thing, with many seniors leaving, we could run into some problems.

junior009

Juniors
Is this the same Perth Glory that are going to be "cleaned out" by Sydney FC starting in about 6 minutes?????

Eelementary

Post Whore
Zippy Eel said:
Do we need a "cleanout"? IMO no we don't.

Is there going to be a "cleanout"? I think there might be. I can think of about 7 1st grade players off the top of my head that are not going to be there post 2006. This may or may not be a good thing. It will mean upgrades for junior players like Tim Smith, Ben Smith, Brett Delany, Joel Reddy etc, and a fair bit of money left under the cap. Yet this could be a bad thing, with many seniors leaving, we could run into some problems.

Such as?

Facts or preferences?

Source?

WA Eel

Juniors
I would hardly call 2-1 win a "clean out". The season is young as and as we all know, it´s what happens at the business end that counts.

There´s only one Perth Glory, one Perth Glory, walking along......

Zippy Eel

Juniors
Eelementary said:
Such as?

Facts or preferences?

Source?

Such as Petersen is gone, O'Dwyer is gone, Stringer will retire, I doubt Morro will be resigned, I doubt Morris will be resigned, I doubt Cannings will be resigned, I doubt Burt will be resigned, I doubt Robbo will be resigned, I doubt Henry Perenara will be resigned. Thats 9 there. This is not Necessarily what i want to happen because i think Morro, Perenara, Morris are great players and i would be sad to see them go but I think this is what is going to happen

I also have doubts that McKinnon will be resigned (which i think is totally wrong) to make way for Joel Reddy.

Again this is NOT what i want to happen but i think this is what is going to happen

Eelementary

Post Whore
Zippy Eel said:
Such as Petersen is gone, O'Dwyer is gone, Stringer will retire, I doubt Morro will be resigned, I doubt Morris will be resigned, I doubt Cannings will be resigned, I doubt Burt will be resigned, I doubt Robbo will be resigned, I doubt Henry Perenara will be resigned. Thats 9 there. This is not Necessarily what i want to happen because i think Morro, Perenara, Morris are great players and i would be sad to see them go but I think this is what is going to happen

I also have doubts that McKinnon will be resigned (which i think is totally wrong) to make way for Joel Reddy.

Again this is NOT what i want to happen but i think this is what is going to happen

Ok cool.

Fair enough mate.

I just thought you may know something the rest of us didn't, is all.

Angry_eel

First Grade
Zippy Eel said:
Such as Petersen is gone
yep, to the coast

, O'Dwyer is gone
cost again, he's from there too.
, Stringer will retire,
Maybe

I doubt Morro will be resigned,
bullsh*t, we need him as he's like having a second hindy, just keeps tackling and takes pressure off hindy

I doubt Morris will be resigned,
Only if peranara or green or jeremy smith are tested in the trials and are so good that morris just can't keep up with them.
I doubt Cannings will be resigned,
We won't need him, we got to much depth already
I doubt Burt will be resigned,
maybe if smith isn't there then yes
I doubt Robbo will be resigned,
Hmmm, that might be a hrder one to fugre out, he has played good all season. but he'll get a great club if we can't keep him.
I doubt Henry Perenara will be resigned.
with so many hookers probably not.

Again thats a harder one to figure out, he has played better but might just be ousted just to make way for reddy.

Latest posts