What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

paramatta supporters group

bartman

Immortal
Take my hat off to you Bart for going to those lengths - fantastic effort. More than I've ever done other than attend those meetings that MITS mentioned earlier.
Did you happen to pose the question at those meetings regarding the encouragement of more participation of the group?
I'm confused about this supporters group actually. Do they all sit together at games? Or are they just an elite group of people who joined something years ago and now think they are something special? I don't mean that to sound rude or arrogant, it's just the perception I feel people see them as.
The more we know of them, the more we can get things moving in the right direction.........for everbody.

Suity
Emjaycee had also been in communication with members of the club earlier in the year, but hasn't been able attend a meeting. I didn't ask the question about broader membership while I was there Suit, I'm a bit of a wallflower these days and my main intention was to observe - and if you attend before you are a member, you actually sign in as an "observer". (Yes, the meetings have formalities like that...)

They seem open to new members who might come along but it operates as an "old school" sort of club, like the other sub-groups I mentioned earlier (and like some ALP branch meetings for those who have ever ventured there...). You basically have to attend to ask for and get a form, then get nominated and get seconded (and pay your money) at the next meeting you come back to. I sense that the club feels like it has its remit, and people involved are happy not to stretch beyond that (simply because people who attend and join tend to be happy with what's on offer).

In terms of what the club does - the main function appears to be the bus trips to away games. This is the main social occasion for all who choose to go along, as I understand people sit in many different parts of the grounds for home games (as do people who log in on here, for example). The bus trips seem to be organised by one of the office bearers in her own time, the annual dinner is organised by a few members it seems, everyone chips in with little things eg photos from the annual dinner were done and burned to cd by another member etc.

The monthly meetings themselves also serve as social occasions for people who come and all have gotten to know each other over the years, rather than meetings that seek to achieve or do anything extra in terms of activities. They talk about the team's hopes, and about the players and what's happening in their lives (eg injuries, Hindy's baby - just like we do on here). I hope that helps give more of a sense of what the club is to its members?

It's not really what I think people here are after in terms of a supporters club, but - in terms of the travelling to and sitting together at away games - it's pretty much a different version of that, for different people?

Emjaycee had some good ideas about what might be possible for a new supporters club in terms of activities and funding - and some of those ideas sound similar to what Sharks fan the Attorney has posted in this thread about their group. I understand the Sharks group was supported by LU and at least partly developed in and from these forums, but has since moved on and elsewhere.

I personally think that a new Eels Supporter group can only become "official" (with links to the club) if the Board end up shifting NRL responsibility to the Football Club, and it could start under the Football Club's umbrella.... This would allow the current LC Supporters club to continue in its current guise for as long as it runs, but allow the different version to get up and running and doing different things (perhaps even with some joint activities with the LC one?) - a win-win and everyone is happy...

Suitman

Post Whore
Emjaycee had also been in communication with members of the club earlier in the year, but hasn't been able attend a meeting. I didn't ask the question about broader membership while I was there Suit, I'm a bit of a wallflower these days and my main intention was to observe - and if you attend before you are a member, you actually sign in as an "observer". (Yes, the meetings have formalities like that...)

They seem open to new members who might come along but it operates as an "old school" sort of club, like the other sub-groups I mentioned earlier (and like some ALP branch meetings for those who have ever ventured there...). You basically have to attend to ask for and get a form, then get nominated and get seconded (and pay your money) at the next meeting you come back to. I sense that the club feels like it has its remit, and people involved are happy not to stretch beyond that (simply because people who attend and join tend to be happy with what's on offer).

In terms of what the club does - the main function appears to be the bus trips to away games. This is the main social occasion for all who choose to go along, as I understand people sit in many different parts of the grounds for home games (as do people who log in on here, for example). The bus trips seem to be organised by one of the office bearers in her own time, the annual dinner is organised by a few members it seems, everyone chips in with little things eg photos from the annual dinner were done and burned to cd by another member etc.

The monthly meetings themselves also serve as social occasions for people who come and all have gotten to know each other over the years, rather than meetings that seek to achieve or do anything extra in terms of activities. They talk about the team's hopes, and about the players and what's happening in their lives (eg injuries, Hindy's baby - just like we do on here). I hope that helps give more of a sense of what the club is to its members?

It's not really what I think people here are after in terms of a supporters club, but - in terms of the travelling to and sitting together at away games - it's pretty much a different version of that, for different people?

Emjaycee had some good ideas about what might be possible for a new supporters club in terms of activities and funding - and some of those ideas sound similar to what Sharks fan the Attorney has posted in this thread about their group. I understand the Sharks group was supported by LU and at least partly developed in and from these forums, but has since moved on and elsewhere.

I personally think that a new Eels Supporter group can only become "official" (with links to the club) if the Board end up shifting NRL responsibility to the Football Club, and it could start under the Football Club's umbrella.... This would allow the current LC Supporters club to continue in its current guise for as long as it runs, but allow the different version to get up and running and doing different things (perhaps even with some joint activities with the LC one?) - a win-win and everyone is happy...

Very informative post mate, and I thank you for taking the time to put it all down so eloquently. It is as clear an explanation of the Supporters Club as I have ever read/heard.
I think there is a little momentum here for some of us to get together and maybe get things moving.
I'd like to set a goal that we equal or better the Sharkies supporters group by this time next year.
Yes, it means that some of us have to make sacrifices. In fact, it means most of us do. But, if we aren't prepared to do that, why are we even sitting here talking about it.

Let's get off our collectives rectums and see if we can right the wrongs of the past.
I hope that 3p'S PROMISES OF CO-OPERATION WEREN'T HOLLOW, AND THAT WE CAN ACTUALLY PUSH SOMETHING SERIOUS HERE.

Suity

bartman

Immortal
No worries.

The momentum is worth exploring. I know and can see that several people here have thought or tried with similar ideas for what might be possible re supporters groups in the past and many would be interested in seeing something come to life if at all possible.

More than happy to help with contributing some ideas, or helping people think through theirs (feedback on draft documents, attempts at problem solving etc). Being honest I don't think I can offer more than though, and probably can't be a major player in this. Although I would support and encourage people willing to make the effort, and probably fork out a membership or whatever when things got to that point.

The Colonel

Immortal
Why not do both in parallel? Get people together, to get the plans together to start getting people together at away games, to demonstrate their ability to do so as well as their plans for becoming part of and trying to help stear the official supporters club.

The problem is, Suity, Dimmy, Hollywood and I tried to do this in 2001 and then 2002, Smillee and I tried to do this back in 1999 with regular Wednesday night meet-ups at the Royal Oak. So I don't seem to have the ability to make it glue.

I'm happy to start meeting up on a particular night anytime MITS..... just not sure what sort of line up I'll get here in Moree outside of the local Eels supporters (of which there are a number but we'd be struggling to get to games on a regular basis).

FUIFUI_MOIMOI

Juniors
It would be awesome to be part of some type of Supporters Group were we made a difference and the players would come to applaud us after every game.

There is one guy at Manly's home games who really pumps up the crowd with his 'MANLY' chant and it fires me up just listening to it, i get the feeling like Manly is about to score when it happens.

I think if we could really pump up that 'Parra' chant at our games like it used to be a couple of years ago, it would help the players a lot.

Parraletic

Juniors
I agree FUI FUI, My mate Terry & I tries to get a group going in 97. It grew dramatically in 2001 & it looked like we were about to have a regualr thing going but many circimstances & certain personalities put a dampner on it & it faded away. Would love to see something put in place like a bay at the stadium like the sharks have & a website set up where all Eels fans gather together & cheer the boys on in away games. Every game I have been to ANZ this year, the away supporters out cheer the "home" teams supporters because there all in 1 section chanting together & it looks & sounds awesome. Would love to see the Eels fans put something in place with the help of the club. But it must be driven by us - the supporters.

Sorry for my delay, it was a big night and day today, but now I am back from the doctors some points.

I think for the most part Barts Perceptions of the supporters club is correct, indeed he has mentions some of the stronger points, like for example that the supporters club is like the Darts club and the like. What he doesn't mention with that is that also means the supporters club is funded by the Club. Funded to a decent tune I understand as well. The Club has a structure which is good in my opinion, everyone has a roll and fills it well.

I would also think that there were no discussions about the games at the Meeting Bart attended purely because it was in February and the club hadn't played a game in any grade really (there were some Junior Rep trials).

I know from being a member for 2 years, that some of the first discussions are Junior Reps scores and who received the awards for players players and the coaches award. Then it gets into a bit of a social affair.

I think the bigger issue I faced was a perception of somewhat superiority, that they were the supporters club and other people were just fans. Indeed I had that bought up myself when I asked why they didn't advertise or recruit on line.

Funnily enough it seems with the involvement of Ross Smart that their Bus Trips are getting regular exposure.

The Latest B&G Army / STH news letter contained this.

Parra E-News said:
Supporters Club Bus – Eels v Newcastle
The Pirtek Parramatta Eels Supporters Club will be running a bus to Newcastle for next Sunday’s Telstra Premiership clash against the Newcastle Knights at EnergyAustralia Stadium.

For details on how to book, click the link:
http://www.parraeels.com.au/default.aspx?s=newsdisplay&id=16843

Now, is this not what we are after, as well as Jess highlighted and as Pies (Parraletic) has said above, getting an area together for the Fans, we can start at away games and then if possible and if enough people are willing get something like the Panthers "Black Hole" going for Ticketed Memberships later on.

So an action plan, regardless of making this part of the SC or going it alone is to start Planing for our next away game. Get the chat going. As I have said in the thread above, we have an opportunity next Sunday. A Sunday afternoon and a Trip up the F3, what could be more enjoyable and what better place to make out colours known? Fans from the Newcastle Region and a large number of Eels fans in General should be able to make one, so what are we going to do? Get a bay.

This could continue for other away games, Highlighting the areas that opposition grounds set aside for away fans. Then if we can get enough people why not take it to the SC, get others to Join up at the games (like we have done with the FC) get them to distribute in their communications to Ross Smart the areas we are going to go inhabit at away games.

The Attorney

Juniors
It’s on

Our bus will be leaving the shire at 4.00pm to get to Parra leagues at about 5.00pm a few beverages in the sterlo bar then down to the game

PM me if you want to exchange details for a face to face meet

Hellsy

Immortal
Good work Attorney.

I think some of us are going to be on the balcony at Sterlo's from about 3pm, but then some will take off about 5pm to watch Toyota Cup.
Drop in and say g'day, there will prob be a few people still there

JessEel

Accredited Media Releases
It’s on

Our bus will be leaving the shire at 4.00pm to get to Parra leagues at about 5.00pm a few beverages in the sterlo bar then down to the game

PM me if you want to exchange details for a face to face meet

Hi Attorney! Great News!!
If you like, look for these people! (We aren't hard to find)

n645213017_654249_4166.jpg

n645213017_229450_4606.jpg

We usually try to snag a spot under the TV out on the balcony at Sterlos. Hope to see you there!!

Jess

eelz47

Coach
I would also think that there were no discussions about the games at the Meeting Bart attended purely because it was in February and the club hadn't played a game in any grade really (there were some Junior Rep trials).

QUOTE]

round 1 in the jnr rps was feb 14 valentines day. and they would of more than likely had a week of leading up to their 1st game

round 1 in the jnr rps was feb 14 valentines day. and they would of more than likely had a week of leading up to their 1st game

Their first meeting of the year would have been the 10th of Febuary. So as I said, the club hadn't played in any grade really except for some Junior Rep Trials.

Latest posts