What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parra 3 2 1s

Valheru

Coach
Well that was avery satisfying performance. Thought we were farther better team and the scoreboard showed that in the end.

I think we have turned the corner which bodes well for next season. Defence was good as it had been all season conceding only a try where I'm still not convinced he wasn't short and that BS bad luck falcon thing. For the first time in a long time I thought we played with speed in attack which is a confidence thing. We still weren't as polished in attack as I would like but that will come next year.

Not much else to say, it was just more of the same that we have seen the last 2 months. If we turn up for just 2 more games earlier in the season we are a top 4 chance.

3 Teddy
2 Collins
1 sualli

Tigers next which we should win even if we have a down game TBH.

All eyes on Newcastle/souths as we are a real chance of overtaking the loser by seasons end. The other team we can catch which isn't being spoken about much is canberra who are the only team in the 8 we can overtake on differential. Even if they beat the dogs they play broncos and sharks to finish, if they lose both and we win out we finish above them. I'm actually confident that we would win a week 1 final against any of the teams in 5-8. Sounds a bit arrogant but I think we are objectively better than them at this point. Of course we could capitulate next week so who knows.

We’re still clunky in our attack but Parra didn’t give us too much to worry about tbh. It was one of those games where you felt confident we’d get the result even when they nearly went 12 nil up.

Yeh, I’m not convinced by Cartwright’s try either. Looked planted just short of the line and then he rolled the ball forward the required inches which would constitute a double movement you’d think, especially when it went upstairs as a no try.

Thought Collins was again a standout particularly with Jared pulling out just before the game. Plaudits to Teddy, Nat B and both Joeys. Again, what a shame Sualli wasn’t content with biding his time on the wing before slowly stepping into the FB role like Mini and RTS before him.

Those losses against Manly, Canberra and Saints look expensive now, don’t they.

My worries for next week with Joey slotting in at FB is that Sammy will get the number 7 back, which is a good thing but that will shift either Hutch or Suaalii into Joey’s centre spot, which is a bad thing.

3. Lindsey
2. Teddy
1. Suaalii

PS
Just realised we didn’t do Phins points. Do we bother? It’s been quiet in this place. Really miss Tommy, Adam and his aliases lol. Just in case.

3. Hutch.
2. N Butcher
1. Billy Smith

Last edited:

Valheru

Coach
We’re still clunky in our attack but Parra didn’t give us too much to worry about tbh. It was one of those games where you felt confident we’d get the result even when they nearly went 12 nil up.

Yeh, I’m not convinced by Cartwright’s try either. Looked planted just short of the line and then he rolled the ball forward the required inches which would constitute a double movement you’d think, especially when it went upstairs as a no try.

Thought Collins was again a standout particularly with Jared pulling out just before the game. Plaudits to Teddy, Nat B and both Joeys. Again, what a shame Sualli wasn’t content with biding his time on the wing before slowly stepping into the FB role like Mini and RTS before him.

My worries for next week with Joey slotting in at FB is that Sammy will get the number 7 back, which is a good thing but that will shift either Hutch or Suaalii into Joey’s centre spot, which is a bad thing.

3. Lindsey
2. Teddy
1. Suaalii

PS
Just realised we didn’t do Phins points. Do we bother? It’s been quiet in this place. Really miss Tommy, Adam and his aliases lol. Just in case.

3. Hutch.
2. N Butcher
1. Suaalii

3. Lindsey
2. Teddy
1. Suaalii

PS

3. Hutch.
2. N Butcher
1. Billy Smith

I get why you look at the first manly game as a what if but for me it is a forgive loss as I thought we played well undermanned and were done very harshly by the officials that say. The dragons and canberra games I completely agree and the other 2 I cite are the first dolphins game and the cowboys game. If we turn up even 20% better to all of those we win 2 at least and we are looking at making a top 4 bid.

In regards to this week I wouldn't overthink things, manu to 1, Allen to 4 and everything else stays the same. Robbo has made it clear young Sam is the future but I just don't think we should bring him back in with the way things are going, he needs an off-season and Allen is perfectly serviceable for a one off against the tigers.

We don't deserve it but our finals path is clear now. Win out and we finish above souths, that is certain. If cowboys don't win both games we would finish above them too and I still think we are very strong chance of finishing above the raiders who look cooked

I get why you look at the first manly game as a what if but for me it is a forgive loss as I thought we played well undermanned and were done very harshly by the officials that say. The dragons and canberra games I completely agree and the other 2 I cite are the first dolphins game and the cowboys game. If we turn up even 20% better to all of those we win 2 at least and we are looking at making a top 4 bid.

In regards to this week I wouldn't overthink things, manu to 1, Allen to 4 and everything else stays the same. Robbo has made it clear young Sam is the future but I just don't think we should bring him back in with the way things are going, he needs an off-season and Allen is perfectly serviceable for a one off against the tigers.

We don't deserve it but our finals path is clear now. Win out and we finish above souths, that is certain. If cowboys don't win both games we would finish above them too and I still think we are very strong chance of finishing above the raiders who look cooked
In regards to Manly, it was the penalty in front of the sticks near the end which we didn’t get but should’ve which could’ve given us at least the chance of a win. I honestly thought we were gonna get done that night but was happy with the way they played.

Valheru

Coach
In regards to Manly, it was the penalty in front of the sticks near the end which we didn’t get but should’ve which could’ve given us at least the chance of a win. I honestly thought we were gonna get done that night but was happy with the way they played.
Ah yes very good point! I forgot about that... At least his kicking has improved.

What's your feeling... Do you think we will make finals?

Ah yes very good point! I forgot about that... At least his kicking has improved.

What's your feeling... Do you think we will make finals?
Don’t wanna jinx it but I’m thinking yes. Souths getting the bye is a concern as that could be an opportunity for them to recalibrate. No Trell would be a help but can see him getting off the charge as they would want maximum crowd and ratings for our final game. If Souths path fails there’s Raiders as I can see them losing both their final matches.

The Raiders are the ones who could also miss out on the finals. There last two games area against the Broncos (in Canberra) and then the Sharks (in Sydney). If they lose both, they finish on 32 points and if we win both our games we finish level with them. Our points differential at the moment is -62 whilst the Raiders is -108.

H.H

Juniors
3 - Collins
2 - Ted
1 - Suaali

Agree with minimising any disruptions to the backline just leave Hutch there and bring in Allen for mine. Hopefully Ted back and normal service resumes. I feel like we'll take care of souffs, but they just need to focus on this week first or they'll get bitten and it'll all be for nothing.

Agree with minimising any disruptions to the backline just leave Hutch there and bring in Allen for mine. Hopefully Ted back and normal service resumes. I feel like we'll take care of souffs, but they just need to focus on this week first or they'll get bitten and it'll all be for nothing.

At this stage it doesn't look like Robbo agrees with you. Walker has been named at 7, Corey Allan in the centres at 4 in place of Manu who's at fullback in 1 for Teddy. Drew Hutchinson has been named in the 18 jersey. Egan Butcher has been named in jersey 19 too.

Jake Turpin is out as, many of the media haven't commented on him getting a head knock during the game (which he did), as Sandon Smith is listed at 14 and Turpin isn't in the squad at all.

Source: https://www.roosters.com.au/news/2023/08/22/nrl-line-up-for-round-26-vs-tigers/

H.H

Juniors
Yeah saw that earlier - he must be very confident in Walker and who am I to second guess?

Hope he has it right and Walker can add further x factor to the attack. Glad Allan has been named centre though.

Headless Chook

Juniors
3. Collins
2. Tedesco
1. Nat butcher

if all the planets align and we end up at 8 I guess anything can happen from there. I’ve a feeling the Cows could be the fly in the ointment in whether we get there or we miss out. They should beat the dolphins and depending on whether Cleary decides to rest a large chunk of their stars in the final round they are a chance of winning that one too. Although if the minor prem is still up for grabs he might decide not to.

Souths are falling apart before everyone’s eyes and ain’t that a beautiful thing. Round 27 will be epic.

3. Collins
2. Tedesco
1. Nat butcher

if all the planets align and we end up at 8 I guess anything can happen from there. I’ve a feeling the Cows could be the fly in the ointment in whether we get there or we miss out. They should beat the dolphins and depending on whether Cleary decides to rest a large chunk of their stars in the final round they are a chance of winning that one too. Although if the minor prem is still up for grabs he might decide not to.

Souths are falling apart before everyone’s eyes and ain’t that a beautiful thing. Round 27 will be epic.

The Cowboys won't be a fly in the ointment if the Raiders lose both of its last 2 matches. If that happens, and both us and the Cowboys win, then Souths and the Raiders will miss out. The Raiders last two games are against the Broncos and then the Sharks.

Whilst the Raiders are currently on 32 points, it has a points differential of -108 whilst the Cowboys is +12 (28 points) and ours is -62 (28 points). So I would not quite be worried about the Cowboys realistically.