What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cowboys 3 2 1s

Valheru

Coach
Well that was disappointing, we had a real opportunity to entrench ourselves in the top 4 and just didn't execute.

The weather didn't help but it was the same for the cowboys. The luck we got last week through playing smart wet weather footy was reversed this week due to dumb errors.

Defence was good as usual. We only really made the one defensive error for the first try. I'm not convinced Joey didn't get to the ball first in the 2nd try and the last try was complete fluke off a horrible kick. As I said last seek though you make your own luck by doing the little things right and the cowboys certainly did that.

Attack is where the issue is at the moment. It was another wet quagmire but we just look so slow and tentative deep in attack. Part of that is probably confidence but we are 9 games in now and it needs to improve soon.

At the end of the day though this result came down to 2 key errors that flipped field position around. The 1st was the attempted short pass between the 2 forwards (can't remember who) which led to their first try. That just wasn't needed in that position and in that weather. The 2nd was the debacle after a stoppage for HIA where we lost the ball 5 minutes in to the 2nd half after looking likely to score. We didn't see the ball gain until we were 18-0 down.

There were a few positives for the game. As mentioned the defence was good again and I though the pack did their job once again. Billy Smith was sensational and it was good to see him get through. He offers everything sualli doesn't in attack with probing runs threatening to split the line multiple times and he is a very good defender. That left centre spot is his. I thought both crighton and sitilli were very good again, I know they are both returning from long lay-offs but the quicker they start the better.

I know a lot of people are calling for walker to come back immediately but I wouldn't do that just yet. I don't think it is in his best interest to return away against Penrith and I also think the weather has conspired for us to not see what a keary/manu combo really looks like. We have gone down this track now so we have to at least see what it can do in dry conditions which is forecast this week.

Either way, I would move sualli to left wing until toops comes back and then put him on the right at that point. Other centre spot will be manu/momo (when fit) which gives as much more strike in the back line. Nothing against Paulo and Allen who have done their jobs but they aren't match winners and sualli just isn't a good centre.

I try not to get trapped in the moment, it was a very disappointing loss but at the end of the day we are equal 3rd on points and have the same record as storm, Penrith and sharks although our F/A is ordinary. We do have to sort out the attack soon before it's too late but we still have time partly due to the tightness of the comp.

I am strangely confident of a good performance this week against a Penrith side who have similar struggles. It is not a must win just yet but it is a must perform IMO

3 B Smith
2 Crighton
1 Sitilli

H.H

Juniors
Yeah that was a tough watch. Billy Smith the clear standout - so good to see him back and jeez if anyone deserves some luck it's him. Fingers crossed for him.

3 - Billy Smith
2 - Sitili
1 - Crighton

Keeping my enthusiasm for Billy in check so as not to jinx him or he won’t see out the season lol. Seriously hope it’s his last major injury. He was the obvious stand out in a day we’d all rather forget. The weather, patience and luck deserted us yesterday and instead backed the opposition which makes it a hard game to judge. Could’ve been in a good position to score early on if Paulo didn’t decide back himself on the sideline in slippery conditions and we could’ve scored more if passes stuck.

@Valheru I want Sammy back at half but only to get Joey back at centre with Suallii combining with him again on the wing. The talk is that the club is looking at releasing him early anyway and Joey, Billy is probably our best centre combo going forwards. Plus Suallii is good under the high kicks too. Understand why you wish to persist with current halves, though. Not looking forward to a short turn around against a hoodoo club and away no less.

3. Billy Smith
2. Sitilli
1. Angus

Valheru

Coach
Keeping my enthusiasm for Billy in check so as not to jinx him or he won’t see out the season lol. Seriously hope it’s his last major injury. He was the obvious stand out in a day we’d all rather forget. The weather, patience and luck deserted us yesterday and instead backed the opposition which makes it a hard game to judge. Could’ve been in a good position to score early on if Paulo didn’t decide back himself on the sideline in slippery conditions and we could’ve scored more if passes stuck.

@Valheru I want Sammy back at half but only to get Joey back at centre with Suallii combining with him again on the wing. The talk is that the club is looking at releasing him early anyway and Joey, Billy is probably our best centre combo going forwards. Plus Suallii is good under the high kicks too. Understand why you wish to persist with current halves, though. Not looking forward to a short turn around against a hoodoo club and away no less.

3. Billy Smith
2. Sitilli
1. Angus

I really hope we haven't given up on Sammy and rumours that he will be released are just that, I think he has a lot to offer and it seems unlikely keary will continue beyond next year so a manu/walker combo is our future IMO.

I completely understand putting manu back to centre for a, when fully fit, Teddy, toops, Smith, manu, sualli back line and I think that will happen soon. My main angle though for leaving manu at 6 for at least 1 more week is that we haven't really seen what he can do because of weather. I think we need to at least give him that chance and if nothing else, it has tightened up the right hand defence which will be crucial against Penrith.

One other thing I should mention about the game which I'm sure didn't escape your keen eye.... the hit on JWH... im ok with that not being a binning but I have seen it binned before and I feel certain JWH wouldn't have stayed on the field and rads probably gets executed on the spot.

One other thing I should mention about the game which I'm sure didn't escape your keen eye.... the hit on JWH... im ok with that not being a binning but I have seen it binned before and I feel certain JWH wouldn't have stayed on the field and rads probably gets executed on the spot.
Yeh, didn’t miss it. Jaz,Rads wouldn’t have stayed on the park and the later would definitely have had a holiday coming.

Valheru

Coach
@Babyface O'reilly just dawned on me you were talking about sualli being released early and not Sammy? Yeah im ok with that and he should be put on the wing immediately regardless of what they do in the halves. Allen can play centre as a stop gap if needed.

Cry me a river. The reasons JWH and Radley get penalised often is because they are both serial pests, as their records show.
Not questioning the penalties, just the punishment. Reputation is everything and some players get reffed differently. Mario Fenech had a reputation after regular send offs but that doesn’t tell the story. Think on all but one occasion he got exonerated at (I think 9) judiciary hearings?

@Babyface O'reilly just dawned on me you were talking about sualli being released early and not Sammy? Yeah im ok with that and he should be put on the wing immediately regardless of what they do in the halves. Allen can play centre as a stop gap if needed.
Yeh, that was my angle but there is talk around Sammy too mind you. Not much other than the usual clubs circling bullshit.

3. Billy Smith
2. The Weather
3. Steeden Football

Any other day the second try would be a no try and the 3rd try the ball would bounce and go into touch