What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parra boss denies Gower rumours

yy_cheng

Coach
Parra boss denies Gower rumours
April 6, 2011 - 1:41PM

Italy flyhalf Craig Gower has been linked with a return to the NRL. Photo: Getty Images

Parramatta chief executive Paul Osborne has flatly denied reports the NRL club are in talks with former Penrith star Craig Gower.

It had been reported Gower's management had been in dialogue with the Eels about a deal which could see him start at the club in a matter of weeks.

The ex-Panthers halfback has been playing rugby union in Italy for several seasons, but is considering a return to the NRL.
Advertisement: Story continues below

Osborne said he was contacted about Gower when it became known the Test and Origin captain was back in the country, but the club quickly decided they didn't want to go down that path.

"No, no. Haven't spoken to his manager, haven't spoken to him," Osborne told AAP.

"I think he was briefly discussed for about three seconds when they said he was here, but no."

Gower is a 32-year-old dual-international for Australia in league and Italy in union, but Osborne says he's happy with his current halves and hookers - Jeff Robson, Daniel Mortimer, Casey McGuire and Matt Keating.

"No plans to make any changes," said the Eels CEO.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/union-news/parra-boss-denies-gower-rumours-20110406-1d3tc.html

Prop Forward

Juniors
I like Gower as a player...but...remember this:
Gower was fired as Panthers captain in December 2005, after incidents at a charity golf event where he argued with several guests, groped the teenage daughter of former league player Wayne Pearce, chased Pearce's son with a bottle before vomiting on him, streaked nude around the resort, stole and crashed a golf cart, held a butter knife http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Craig_Gower#cite_note-test-7to the throat of a Sydney radio personality before throwing it at resort guests, and engaged in a brawl with resort security before being ejected from the official function and detained by police.

guruminga

Juniors
I like Gower as a player...but...remember this:
Gower was fired as Panthers captain in December 2005,after incidents at a charity golf event where he argued with several guests, groped the teenage daughter of former league player Wayne Pearce, chased Pearce's son with a bottle before vomiting on him, streaked nude around the resort, stole and crashed a golf cart, held a butter knifeto the throat of a Sydney radio personality before throwing it at resort guests, and engaged in a brawl with resort security before being ejected from the official function and detained by police.

I guess some could say that's a little excessive...:sarcasm::crazy:If that's all fair dinkum, I don't want him near the club. We've got a pretty good image in terms of player behaviour. Let's keep it that way.

G

guruminga

Juniors
Gotta love people who quote wikipedia... :sarcasm:

Was that wikapedia was it? Interesting he didn't have the source...:x

Now that I look at it, I can see the little links under groped and Wayne Pearce.

So is it all true though??

G

SDM

First Grade
Maybe we just need to get Gower to spew on Morts, worked for Mitchell Pearce

DeanPay98

Juniors
1. I don't believe Osborne.
2. The Pearce incident, whilst disgraceful, was six years ago.
3. Jason Taylor didn't exactly have a pretty behavioural record before joining the Eels but that worked out quite well.
4. We really need a halfback .... and getting one this season if he isn't doing anything, could really turn things around for us.

The Colonel

Immortal
Gower last played league in 2007. He has been playing kick and clap for the Italian side since and has recently lost his place due to injury.......

At least Orford, as bad as he has played, has been playing league. I'd hope that Osborne is telling the truth because really at age 33 in two weeks and four years out of league and returning from injury he'd be a MASSIVE gamble.

Avenger

Immortal
We should ask the Sharks if they would release Tim Smith to us. I would sign him for a year with an option for another. Buying Gower is just crazy.

Latest posts