What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parra Eels 2013 - Season Prediction

Where will we finish 2013?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

eel4life

Juniors
If Hayne can play to his potential the whole season, we can do anything,

He is the most influential player in our team, i think they will be solid under the new coach, i just want them to play to their potential every single week, if they can do that we have talented youngsters, hopefully this preseason they learn to train at a level that gets them ready to play each and every week.

they have to believe in the coaches vision for them, if they believe in what he is saying and they execute it then yeah anything can happen, i voted anything from 9 - 11, so i just want a solid season.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Should there only be two categories then?

Personally i think the following sides can't make the 8 in 2013 in no particular order: Warriors, Panthers, Eels, Dragons and Titans

What I mean is that there are three categories, but not all of them are filled every year.

I'd say the third category - teams with no chance of making the eight - would be empty most years, and under a salary cap so it should be.

SDM

First Grade
We will make the eight for sure as long as that f**kwit Hindy doesn't death ride us in the media. The team will benefit greatly from the absence of the fat slug brothers.

Suitman

Post Whore
We will make the eight for sure as long as that f**kwit Hindy doesn't death ride us in the media. The team will benefit greatly from the absence of the fat slug brothers.

lol.

Welcome back.

Suity

bartman

Immortal
If there was a 7th-10th option, that's be my choice. I reckon we'll win about half our games (+ or - 1) and maybe slip into the eight or just out of it.

So faced with this choice of 5th-8th or 9th-11th... I'm going to post with the positive end of my prediction and pick 5th-8th! 2013 reasons? The playing squad will respond to, be motivated by, and perform for the 2013 coaching staff.

Gronk

Staff member
Stats in the press this morning deal with representative experience in 2013 NRL packs.

The likely starting six (for Newcastle) boast a combined total of 138 Origin and Test appearances, with every member having played at least one international for his country.

That's 42 more appearances than the next most seasoned pack - Canterbury-Bankstown (96) - and over six times more representative experience than the least, Parramatta (20).

Stats in the press this morning deal with representative experience in 2013 NRL packs.

I assume that's based on a pack of Mason, Buderus, Snowden, J Smith, Housten, Scott. Of those guys, not one of them is at their peak and the only ones that I'd offer a contract to would be Housten and Snowden, although on his 2012 form, Snowden would probably get the brush as well.

It might lack experience, but at least there is alot of upside to our pack.

phantom eel

First Grade
I think there's improvement left in the current squad that could see us as high as 7th this season, but maybe as low as 11th. Either way it'll be on the up from last year!

Wise Old Eel

Juniors
I think there's improvement left in the current squad that could see us as high as 7th this season, but maybe as low as 11th. Either way it'll be on the up from last year!

I agree. By the way, Happy New Year to all (better late than never :sarcasm:).

I believe our toughness and ability to grind will improve as the year progresses. Stuart is [has been] renowned for that aspect in his coaching. We have a very young squad and it will be a bit of a learning curve for them. My concerns surround how Hayne and Sandow are used & whether or not we can score points. Ironically (for a former halfback), Stuart coached sides tend to have trouble posting points. We shall see.

In any case, I am really looking forward to the season ahead - first time since 2010 (boy, am I glad that 2 year nightmare is over).

WOE

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Three year nightmare, you mean. 2010 was the most frustrating year since 2008.

Since 2007 we have scraped into the finals once.

Eelementary

Post Whore
I think we will finish somewhere between 5th and 8th. My analysis and reasoning for thus:

* Ricky Stuart, for all his criticism, has always excelled in two key areas: team spirit and defence. We showed in 2012 that we were a side capable of piling on points - we were just inconsistent at doing so, and our defence was so bad it put more pressure on us to score a try off a "hail mary" play every play (and statistically, we were doomed to fail).

Working on getting the team feeling closer and stiffening up our defence will be a tremendous boost.

* I think the weakest aspect of our squad is our pack. We have a decent front row rotation with Tim Mannah, Darcy Lussick, Fuifui Moimoi (although he is aging), Mitchell Allgood and [hopefully] Peni Terepo. Matt Keating is unpopular here but he will do his job - all we need at hooker is a player with some creative spark to come on after 20 minutes or so to capitalise on tired defences (and I think Nathan Smith is not the guy, although we are out of options, and so he will likely get the nod).

Our back-row has a lot of work-horses (Ben Smith, Daniel Harrison, Matt Ryan), one genuinely creative player (Joseph Paulo) and a guy in Reni Maitua that plays a role somewhere in between. In my opinion, we lack a ball-running, tackle-breaking, line-busting back-rower.

However, if things to well, any number of things might go our way to change that:

- I still believe Jacob Loko will end up in the back-row; he's too big and dangerous a ball-runner to "waste" out in the centres, especially when we have Ryan Morgan, Cheyse Blair and Willie Tonga as options there. Jacob Loko would be a perfect back-rower - bigger than Jamal Idris and with a bit of speed, he'd provide that wide-running, line-breaking option out wide we crave. And defending at second-row, with a quality centre and prop either side of him (for example, Tonga and Mannah) would help his defensive game.

- Pauli Pauli, Chad MacGill, Kelepi Tanginoa, Frazer Masinamua. They are all very young and perhaps long shots. But if any one of these guys gets a nod, we are in for a treat. Pauli Pauli, Tanginoa and Masinamua are all explosive. MacGill reminds me very much of a Paul Gallen - big motor. But each one of these guys would provide variety to our back-row.

* Jarryd Hayne. I don't think I need to go into detail, but suffice it to say - if he stays fit and plays a handful of matches, we will always be competitive. His stats in 2012 were phenomenal, and especially considering he missed out on so much of the season. Jarryd is a real, real weapon.

* Sandow and Kelly. We didn't see much of Kelly, but what we did see I liked. He didn't create any line-break assists, but he did show composure and great vision in setting up tries. He also tended to take the right option at the right time. In my view, he complements Sandow's natural game perfectly - we can rely on Chris and Jarryd to break games wide open, and on Luke to take the settling options and guide us around the park. Luke Kelly will probably never be a superstar, but he will be a more than capable, solid First Grade player than any team would be happy to have IMO (and especially teams such as ours with a very talented but erratic halfback).

* The age of our squad. I am not going to point fingers or crucify anyone, but our squad is on the rise and a new dawn is coming. Our "golden oldies" have left after a mixed period, and blokes like Jarryd Hayne, Chris Sandow, Ryan Morgan, Cheyse Blair, Tim Mannah, Ken Sio, the back-rowers mentioned above, Peni Terepo, Darcy Lussick, etc. are the future of this squad. We have a genuine chance to start from scratch, and it's a very motivating factor IMO.

The Engineers Room

First Grade
- I still believe Jacob Loko will end up in the back-row; he's too big and dangerous a ball-runner to "waste" out in the centres, especially when we have Ryan Morgan, Cheyse Blair and Willie Tonga as options there. Jacob Loko would be a perfect back-rower - bigger than Jamal Idris and with a bit of speed, he'd provide that wide-running, line-breaking option out wide we crave. And defending at second-row, with a quality centre and prop either side of him (for example, Tonga and Mannah) would help his defensive game.

I really can't agree with this. He needs to get good early ball and he can be dangerous and calling Tonga a quality centre after last year is a worry.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Can't believe that merkin made Hindy captain. He dug his own grave there. Also picking Luke Burt - a team struggling for go-forward needs stronger wingers than that.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
I really can't agree with this. He needs to get good early ball and he can be dangerous and calling Tonga a quality centre after last year is a worry.

Tonga went ok last year in my opinion (which means jack), he was pretty good in defence. His attack wasn't what would we expect from him but really he was never given quality ball. Did we even look like having any set plays using tonga? Also he did make a couple of half breaks setting up his winger but on each occasion the winger was asleep and dropped the ball.

If he can stay injury free (is this possible?) and Ricky gets some set plays using him, he will have a good year.

Freak2

Juniors
We were the worst team in the comp last year (by a fair way) and with little to no recruitment and the loss of a player making 40+ tackles per game we are in for another long season.

I hope to be proven wrong.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
We were the worst team in the comp last year (by a fair way) and with little to no recruitment and the loss of a player making 40+ tackles per game we are in for another long season.

Yep we were crap and lost 18 games - yet if we only win 6 more games out of those 18 we lost we are in the top eight, only 6 more wins !! The comp is so close anything can happen.

Gronk

Staff member

Hard to argue with that.

Yep we were crap and lost 18 games - yet if we only win 6 more games out of those 18 we lost we are in the top eight, only 6 more wins !! The comp is so close anything can happen.
Hard to believe we could have won 6 more games considering we were so crap.

Latest posts