What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parra in 2010

Final Position

• Premiers

Votes: 26 59.1%
  • Runners Up

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Top 4

Votes: 10 22.7%
  • Top 8

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • Also Rans.

Votes: 5 11.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

eels bloke

Juniors
Fast approaching season 2010, how will the Eels fare, expectations are high, premiership favourites in betting at the moment. What are the thoughts of the many who follow them? I think we're in for a bumper of a season.

Retaining most of last years squad with the loss of Lowrie, Kingston, Finch :sarcasm: to name a few. Recruitment looks good on paper, forward pack is strengthened with Poore, Shackleton. Backline with Tahu. In the halves, KK to return, Robson, Mortimer & rising Tom Humble coming into the squad to battle for positions early on.

Things aslo looking good in the front office, memberships are up, homeground crowds will be a greater force. Looking forward to getting down to see them play a few at home, and the double header in Qld later in the season. Can't wait.

BissyB

Juniors
I can't wait for this years season either.

I really do think Eels will finish top 4 and then at least gran finalists, but there is always a worry that the likes of Ben Smith, Robson, Moi Moi, Reddy will go back to the old "only playing cause their paying" attitude.

I don't think it'll happen but there is always a possibility

PESC

Juniors
Self belief is always a big thing. If you see/speak to any of the players there is a strong self belief that they can go further. We all saw what happened last year when they got some confidence and a self belief that they could perform up there with the better teams

Gronk

Staff member
I've been there done that way too many times with this team. :crazy:

Whilst the squad is the best we've had for a long time, comps are very hard to win. That goes for every team. So many factors need to fall in your favour with injuries often the major stumbling block. Sometimes a scandal in the papers can stuff the team totally.

On paper we should finish top 4, anything better than that will be a bonus for me.

Parra Bellum

Juniors
In my opinion, we're regularly a half season team. We either start off playing well and then run out of steam or we start off sluggish and come home strong. I think this season will get off to a strong start with the players ploughing on with residual confidence from the end of last season. The trick will be for Ando to maintain that confidence and momentum for a whole season, while ensuring that we don't have too many injuries at the pointy end... the rest will be up to the players, especially in the finals. I think that he should be able to manage it (I don't see any reason why not) as he is a very different type of coach to the ones we have had and I think he has a lot more tricks up his sleeve.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Iv learnt not to go into a season expecting anything from the team except their best. But that includes from chairman, to CEO, to coaching staff, players and trainers. I expect the best effort possible.

But with the squad we have, we should be able to win the comp, but we do have weaknesses that can be exposed if the season pans out that way.

Angry_eel

First Grade
The best results with Parra happen when we don't have high hopes. So I just wanna watch some entertaining football. Anything else is a plus.

B-Tron 3000

Juniors
I'm confident that we will go well in the regular season, but to select an option for the outcome of the Finals is way too hard. The finals are so unpredictable, and you need things to go your way.

Little things can turn a finals game or series. Look at last year - if Grothe doesn't intercept then Saints could have had the week off and end up as Premiers, Mortimer gets injured against GC but then Mateo comes on and scores, if Hindy doesn't make a try-saver v Dogs they might have got away from us. Plus there's always injuries. And where you have to play - we didn't have to leave Sydney last year and that was a huge bonus.

I think we will be top 4, who knows after that.

natheel

Coach
as B-Tron said finals r hard to predict, i say top 4 on regular season and see what happens in the finals

Tin Man 4.24

Juniors
I really do think Eels will finish top 4 and then at least gran finalists, but there is always a worry that the likes of Ben Smith, Robson, Moi Moi, Reddy will go back to the old "only playing cause their paying" attitude.

Ben Smith may have been guilty of that type of attitude, but I don't think you could ever accuse Jeff Robson and Joel Reddy of thinking that way.

born an eel

Bench
where's the option for wooden spooners?

Last year was the best after I had resigned myself that we were going to be likely candidates to finish last.

parra pete

Referee
Ben Smith may have been guilty of that type of attitude, but I don't think you could ever accuse Jeff Robson and Joel Reddy of thinking that way.

I don't think ANY of them think that way. The statement, in my opinion, is a blight on the professionalism in the team...but you are entitled to think that way.
Blokes with attitudes like Bissy B mentioned don't last too long in ANY professional sport...

BissyB

Juniors
Ok Parra Pete, let me rephrase it. They won't play to their max potential. Seriously though our talent at the start of the 2009 was huge but we didn't win games. Because we weren't playing at our best. There were differences like desperation to get to the ball on the ground that cost us games cause our opponents were better at it. Paul Osbourne in my mind caused that shift.

PS: How do you last in prefessional sport if your not professional enough to play any.