What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parra Stadium

Also one of the upgrades I would like to see is to add head hight Small turn hand rails that are about 30 Mill in Diamiter, about 6 Inches between each upright, placed beside each seat on the stairs to allow the elderly or more frail stadium users something to hang on to.

sportsmad

Juniors
MarkInTheStands said:
Well the Stadium is at 22,000 at the moment, The new Top Deck would add...

2750 Extra Seats,
500 Seat Conferance Venue
Full Gymnasiam Open to the Public.

The Next one (Northen Stand) would be the same, then it is up to moving the Light Towers to put the corner stands together (Maybe having More Squat and Wider Lights right on the Roof), which could take it to about 30,000.

Then I just think we need to put the another deck in behind the Cronin stand, For Food/ Drink and Toilets, and have the Stairs coming out at the top of the Stadium Asiles to stop having people walk in front of others while the game is on. Giving more access space on the Terrace (This also might involve Re-concreating the Stadium Face or Removing the Walkways and adding another tier of seats (Row AA?) Which could add another 250-300 Seats.

geez that'll come in handy :sarcasm:
sorry, maybe i'm just not a gym junkie

Suitman

Post Whore
MarkInTheStands said:
Also Sydney F.C Train out of their

Firstly, their should be there. :roll: Sorry, but that is really basic spelling.

Secondly,
They have given Parra Stadium the flick as their major training facility and they now use Macquarie Uni as their training facilities.

Suity

Suitman said:
Firstly, their should be there. :roll: Sorry, but that is really basic spelling.

Blah Blah Blah, You got the message, and actually it is a grammatical error not a spelling error.

Suitman said:
Secondly,
They have given Parra Stadium the flick as their major training facility and they now use Macquarie Uni as their training facilities.
Suity

We could always intice them back, with the right facilities.

Tyler Durden

Juniors
MarkInTheStands said:
Would Also benefit the Western Rams, You could Play other games their, and use it as a neutral ground for Finals Matches.

Also Sydney F.C Train out of their so they could use another side to the Northern Stand for Their Offices and as a World Class Training Facility.

so to benefit the rams who will play 4 games at parramatta, we must increase the capacity of the ground from 22,000 to 30,000 where the current average crowd for the APC is hardly more than 5,000.
and if we do need a neutral ground for finals matches, assuming that we're talking crowds of 15,000+ to justify increasing the capacity of parramatta, there is the sfs or stadium australia ready to go.

as pointed out by suitman, sydney fc no longer use parramatta stadium to train. out of there. and really doubt they would come back and spend more at parramatta for something that they already have.

Yes yes Tyler we all know Telstra and the SFS are their, the problem with that is that no one from Parramatta wants to play there. No one wants to move out there.

What Parramatta people want is for everything Parramatta to be the Best it can be. For years Parramatta Stadium has been the best little Boutique RL Ground going, better than the SFS for the feeling it generates.

But as it's 21 years have past, new techniques and demands have arisen that the stadium has difficulties handling. So Parramatta People want this Stadium bought up to once again be one of the best venues in Sydney.

You think it is a waste of money. They don't . . . and neither do the People giving them the money.

sportsmad said:
geez that'll come in handy :sarcasm:
sorry, maybe i'm just not a gym junkie

For the Players it will. It will get rid of the dinky little Gym at the Stadium and replace it with First Class Facilities for the players which can also help the general public.

fish eel

Immortal
I would argue until I'm blue in the face that this is not a waste of money.

The increased capacity is only part of the plans.

Of course, the old argument is that the money should be better spent on hospitals.

Well, if thats the case, Governments should not put a cent into the arts or any sporting stadium.

Fact is, it is the job of Government to provide a range range of infrastructure in the community, and that includes sparting facilities. Parramatta Stadium was becoming outdated, whilst at the same time, Parramatta's CBD is under going tremendous change. It's highly appropriate that governments spend money to give the biggest CBD city a decent sporting stadium.

The conference facility is quite significant as well. This may come as a surprise, but in Parramatta there is actually a shortage of decent sized conference venues. Big deal you may say, but that means when it comes to attracting business, Parramatta lose out to other parts of Sydney.

Stagger eel

Staff member
fish eel said:
Fact is, it is the job of Government to provide a range range of infrastructure in the community, and that includes sparting facilities. Parramatta Stadium was becoming outdated, whilst at the same time, Parramatta's CBD is under going tremendous change. It's highly appropriate that governments spend money to give the biggest CBD city a decent sporting stadium.

even though we have one of those already less than 10k's away???

btw, not sure whether this has been mentioned or not but Sydney FC are now training at Macquarie Uni.:p

fish eel

Immortal
eelavation said:
even though we have one of those already less than 10k's away???

We have an 80,000 seat stadium 10 km away yes.

But I would still argue that business and government have invested heavily in Parramatta, the fruits of which will be seen over the next 5-10 years, and bringing the football stadium up to scratch compliments that - because as has been pointed out, it's not just about increasing the capacity.

Otherwise you might as well abandon it tbh and in 15 years it'll be just like Leichardt Oval, falling down and used now and then for a feel good retro feeling.

Stagger eel

Staff member
fish eel said:
We have an 80,000 seat stadium 10 km away yes.

But I would still argue that business and government have invested heavily in Parramatta, the fruits of which will be seen over the next 5-10 years, and bringing the football stadium up to scratch compliments that - because as has been pointed out, it's not just about increasing the capacity.

Otherwise you might as well abandon it tbh and in 15 years it'll be just like Leichardt Oval, falling down and used now and then for a feel good retro feeling.

fairenough..but I'm sure there's a hospital in Westmead that can do with the cash also.

fish eel

Immortal
eelavation said:
fairenough..but I'm sure there's a hospital in Westmead that can do with the cash also.

The old chestnut argument that the money could be better spent in hospitals is a furphy imo. Like I said above, you might as well say the government should withdraw all funding for no critical services and infrastructure. Then watch how quickly the community goes down the sh*tter.

The role of governments isn't just to provide the big ticket items like hospitals and schools. Their job is to provide, or atleast help provide, a broad spectrum of infrastructure for the community, and that includes sporting facilities.

Stagger eel

Staff member
fish eel said:
The role of governments isn't just to provide the big ticket items like hospitals and schools. Their job is to provide, or atleast help provide, a broad spectrum of infrastructure for the community, and that includes sporting facilities.

I may be an old cynic or as Ashley Naylor puts it, a 24 hour cynic..but I thought the role of Governments at the end of the day is to stay in the top job?

PARRACHILEAN

Juniors
Good one mark in stands your spot on i've been to telstra when parra played broncos
you sit to far from the action and you know what i ended up watching on big screen the was a crowd of 40k but it felt like no one was there. If you can picture it a crowd of 30k at the new parra stadium it would go nuts. Plz we know that people need and want money to go to hospitals roads and etc but we are just talking about sport here dont bring politics. Lets get this dream of having the best staduim in the west up and running. i would even donate maoney to this cause imagine a staduim for the people.

Lets Go Parra!!!!!!!!

Hindyscrack

Bench
PARRACHILEAN said:
Good one mark in stands your spot on i've been to telstra when parra played broncos
you sit to far from the action and you know what i ended up watching on big screen the was a crowd of 40k but it felt like no one was there. If you can picture it a crowd of 30k at the new parra stadium it would go nuts. Plz we know that people need and want money to go to hospitals roads and etc but we are just talking about sport here dont bring politics. Lets get this dream of having the best staduim in the west up and running. i would even donate maoney to this cause imagine a staduim for the people.

Lets Go Parra!!!!!!!!

If the NRL had invested into Telstra over the AFL they could have had a better product.

parrawentyfan

Juniors
In regards to enticing other teams to come and use the venue (union, Sydney FC etc) I think we are overlooking the possibility of a West Sydney A-League team in the next ten years or so. Telstra is possibly too big for such a team and everything else around in western Sydney is either too far out of the way for many (like Penrith) or too small and restrictive. A 30k stadium at Parra will probably be exactly what they are after. This would be an extra 25-30 games a year at the venue ensuring it makes money over the summer. I'm sure at the moment the 22kish Parra Stadium would be adequate for them, but having the extra buffer of 10k satisfy any aspirational ideas they have.

I can't wait to go see the Eels in the expanded stadium if it goes ahead. Clubs such as Parra should really be trying to average at least 15-20k per game. It's possible if they put some effort into promoting and increasing memberships. Thus I think 30k is justified as a good number to have for the big games (v. Tigers, Manly, Bulldogs etc + the finals). With Parra CBD trying to grow as an alternative to Sydney, it's exciting to see where the team and stadium could be at in 20-30 years.

Suitman

Post Whore
Just while we're on Stadium upgrades, I read in this morning's Herald that the Newcastle Jets boss went and saw Johnny Howard last week.
They are planning a further $60 million upgrade of Energy Australia Stadium to turn it into a 40 000 all seater. They wanted Johnny to kick in for half.
Apparantly Johnny was quite receptive to the idea.

Suity