What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parra team Vs Sharks

Stagger eel

Staff member
Twizzle said:
I think Burt has been pretty consistent, he kicked 2 from the sideline last week.

I seem to recal he has only had one bad week with the boot.

my team would have Peto playing instead of Burt with Pig kicking and Morris, Moro and Timmy as back ups!!

I honestly belive Muzz gives us that little bit extra on the field.

The Colonel

Immortal
And then there are whingers who wouldn't have Petersen in the side because he "doesn't offer anything".

Can't make everyone happy......

Stagger eel

Staff member
The Colonel said:
And then there are whingers who wouldn't have Petersen in the side because he "doesn't offer anything".

Can't make everyone happy......

sure!!

but the beauty of this sqaud is we have this year is we can actually change our minds week to week and it's only a bonus that I'm a Libran :D

Agent Mulder

Bench
I've heard you guys talk about John Williams, I've only seen him in bits and pieces, So i can't really comment on him, But if he is as good as say and can kick goals, It shouldn't be long before he is in 1st Grade then.

Agent Mulder

Bench
coolumsharkie said:
What do you think about Tahu as outside centre? I tend to think he is a bit of a turnstile in that position..

Also Moi Moi must be thinking what he has to do to get a spot.. He was awsome last week.

Tahu a Turnstile? I dont think so mate, He is been a good solid defender this year which has made up for the lack of tries he has scored.

Agent Mulder

Bench
As for the 1sts and PL sides, Its amazing depth, Smith picked the same side i did as i had a feeling he would, As the Colonel said, You can't make everyone happy.

Why change a winning side anyway? I agree Burt wasn't that great against Manly, That drop ball and silly pass to Tahu wasn't even park football stuff but he did land two goals from touch.

I agree with Smithy in not changing the side, Even if we lose this weekend we will still be in the 8.

oldmancraigy

Coach
Twizzle said:
I think Burt has been pretty consistent, he kicked 2 from the sideline last week.

I seem to recal he has only had one bad week with the boot.

He's been pretty consistent - but not good.

For the year he has kicked 34 goals out of 47 attempts (or is it 48 attempts??).

That ranks him as one of the least accurate goalkickers in the competition at 72.34%.

Sure he had a good night against the Sea Eagles - but that doesn't mean that he is a good goal-kicker. He's just plain old below-average-Burt.

Bit hard to argue that his goal-kicking is worth keeping him for....

How many times has Burt dropped the ball because of his crap ball security coming out of our twenty. How many times will he have have Paul caridge moments??? As I said before we have the Burty lovers who come out once every 2 months and tell us that he ahd a good game but where are they when he f**ks us up nearly every week???

Kornstar

Coach
I don't know what other teams forums are like but the hate expressed for Burt (our own team player) in this one is amazing, he isn't perfect but noone ever looks at anything on the field that he does do well. If we want to pick everyone apart we could do that because everyone makes dumb mistakes on the field, yet everyone on here goes back to Burt.

On John Williams, he is very talented but he has some very bad things in his game, doesn't anyone remember last week when he put down the ball when he was dead certain for a try in the corner?

Brian Smith must have him in the team for a reason, if he scored the match winning try in the grand final by pure individual brilliance would anyone in here bag him, no, you would all be praising him.

The Colonel

Immortal
Jake the snake said:
How many times has Burt dropped the ball because of his crap ball security coming out of our twenty. How many times will he have have Paul caridge moments??? As I said before we have the Burty lovers who come out once every 2 months and tell us that he ahd a good game but where are they when he f**ks us up nearly every week???

Sitting in the stands watching the same game Jake. Sure he f**ks up, I'll acknowledge that but so does every one of our players at least once a game every week. But every week ITS THE SAME f**kING THING. Its old - he's in the team so get over it.....

The Colonel said:
Sitting in the stands watching the same game Jake. Sure he f**ks up, I'll acknowledge that but so does every one of our players at least once a game every week. But every week ITS THE SAME f**kING THING. Its old - he's in the team so get over it.....

Its my opinion mate, It won't change AND I WILL KEEP ON SAYING IT.;-)

The Colonel

Immortal
Good for you....By the way - my opinion of John Williams is that he's at least twelve months away from first grade as he is just as prone to making an error as Burt. Brett Anderson or Jarryd Hayne would be better long term options....

oldmancraigy

Coach
Kornstar said:
Brian Smith must have him in the team for a reason, if he scored the match winning try in the grand final by pure individual brilliance would anyone in here bag him, no, you would all be praising him.

:rolleyes:

What a dumb thing to say!!

The fact is that most of the time Burt 'steps down' when the occasion heats up! So the 'what if' isn't even warranted - because he wouldn't score the Grand Final winning try by individual brilliance because he'd be too busy overthinking whether he should play it safe or back himself and go for it.

He's in the side for his kicking - which is exactly why Smith picks him - but (As shown above) his kicking isn't even all that great - it's just that there isn't really any proven competition when it comes to kickers...

You are entitled to your opinion - it's just wrong :D - the smart thing to do would be to change it!

Kornstar

Coach
Look i know Burt has some shocking moments, the thing is though, alot of players suffer from the same problem yet we don't hear people go on about it every chance they get. I don't want people to like Burt if they just don't like is style of play, that is their opinion (and yours). My opinion is that i think Burt has alot to offer as he does have alot of skill, if you have watched the 7's tournaments over the years you would know his potential, unfortunately i don't think we use it properly.

I know exactly why people don't like him and i can see why but i don't think he should be blammed for every lose and every try scored against us, which unfortuantely it seems alot of people put the blame on Burt for everything that goes wrong.

oldmancraigy

Coach
Kornstar said:
Look i know Burt has some shocking moments, the thing is though, alot of players suffer from the same problem yet we don't hear people go on about it every chance they get. I don't want people to like Burt if they just don't like is style of play, that is their opinion (and yours). My opinion is that i think Burt has alot to offer as he does have alot of skill, if you have watched the 7's tournaments over the years you would know his potential, unfortunately i don't think we use it properly.

I know exactly why people don't like him and i can see why but i don't think he should be blammed for every lose and every try scored against us, which unfortuantely it seems alot of people put the blame on Burt for everything that goes wrong.

Ummmm.... where to start??

The 7s is Burt's specialty! He is a broken field runner with tons of speed and ability to change direction and accelerate with the best of them.
HOWEVER that is a VERY different game. I'm sure Burt would be one of the best touch footy players on our team - but the fact is we don't play touch footy, and we don't play 7s - it is 13 a side tackle football!!

It's not my opinion that Burt can excel in 7s football - it is fact!! - and there is nothing that I can do to change that - if I say he's a terrible 7s player, then that a poor assessment of a players ability on my part - and my opinion is 'wrong' and should be changed. I happen to agree that he is a good 7s player and a dangerous runner in broken field play.

It is also a fact that Luke Burt is a terrible defensive player at NRL level (13 a side) - the only thing he offers is that he is in the right spot (and often run over) - and it is a fact that he isn't great under the high ball, that he's not a real good goalkicker, that he makes bad decisions more than average --> these things are all proven - go and watch the last 5-6 years of video footage, track every instance that Burt is involved in the play and it will be clear to you!!

But, as average a goalkicker as he is, he is still, arguably, the best option we have - and we know what he will provide when picked in first grade (as opposed to Williams who is as yet untried). We also know that Burt is a fine finisher when put into open spaces, and is (as the 7s shows) elusive on his feet. His other main strength is that he talks a lot to his inside man - and uses his experience to position his inside man to help cover his own inability to tackle.

And so he continues to retain his spot, primarily on the strength of his finishing, his positioning and experience.

I'm not arguing that he doesn't do well the things that he does do well - I am merely saying that the main reason he gets picked is his goalkicking - which is not really good enough to warrant selection as a goalkicker! And there are those of us who see his weaknesses and would rather not have the constant 'heart in mouth' with him on the field --> opinions are opinions, but 5 years of results probably tells a pretty good story....

forward pass

Coach
How many times have you seen Burty make the sort of error Grothe made last week - shocking pass which resulted in a Manly try. And Grothe made some shocking blunders last year as well. I am not meaning to bag Grothe but Burty is pretty safe and doesn't give you a heart attack everytime he runs the ball up.

He is not in the side to kick goals - he has proved himself week after week. I reckon a lot of sides would like a player like Burty in their side. And read BS press conference last week. They are picking the side for defence first - so if he is such a bad defender, they would have flicked him a long time ago.

He has some poor moments - but he also has moments of brilliance too.(eg his kick ahead on Friday night when the pass was out of reach).

Great side selected - our best since 2001.

Hellsy

Immortal
Goodness, we can never be satisfied can we??

I think the team looks great. With the guys we have available, to mind those picked are the best

Latest posts