Parra v Manly LIVE game day thread, March 18, 2018

Discussion in 'Parramatta Eels' started by TheParraboy, Mar 18, 2018.

1. Poupou Escobar

Poupou Escobar Post Whore

Packer and Matulino don't work hard enough to be considered elite props like Woods. A highlight reel isn't the key to success for any forward, unless they make 15+ carries every week like Traumalolo. Packer and Matulino can play a role and throw up a highlight every game or so, but it's not enough for a team to be successful.

2. 84 Baby

84 Baby Coach

The one that was ticking away and then exploded?

3. Poupou Escobar

Matulino hasn't played for the Kiwis for five years FFS. There is much more competition for Origin spots than there is for Kiwis spots.

One upside of foreign players though is that you don't lose them at Origin time.

4. 84 Baby

84 Baby Coach

Its like when people called Catai tough. How tough can you be if you're out injured every other week?

Poupou Escobar likes this.
  5. Poupou Escobar

Some blokes just won't play injured.

6. Poupou Escobar

I agree they are all tough, so for someone who doesn't know the players personally, or see what they deal with through the week, it's stupid to say one is tougher than another just because he's covered in tatts and stomps non-footy players out on the piss.
    Two games and people are calling Matulino a step up from Woods? He has 15 runs for 134 metres. Woods had better output this week alone (16 runs for 144 metres). There's a reason you could afford Matulino but not Woods.

As for Packer and Matulino's March premiership, Woods won plenty of games in rounds one and two over the years as well - he is 9 from 14 in the first two rounds whilst playing for Wests. That's a 64% win record. Compare that with his career record for the Tigers (44%) and you start to see how useful early season form is as an indicator of team quality.

I suspect you have counted your chickens with far too much enthusiasm. Much like Parra, the Tigers just don't spend enough on players to be a top side. See you at Easter.

Tiger5150 and TheParraboy like this.
  7. Tiger5150

Tiger5150 Juniors

I'd say its incredibly stupid to say one is tougher than the other. I also didnt say it.

I agree. Not the least of which is his eternally dodgy knee which the club knows about and managing. To get Woodsesque or better output for the price we paid for Mat's is outstanding. Very happy to have him in the team.

Christ, I've been a Tigers fan for my entire life (long time). Im not getting carried away with anything. This discussion is about whether Mats & Packer are a step up from Woods. It clearly is, if for no reason other than its two players v one for the price.

I am most expecting a collapse at some stage and would be happy with finishing 9-11 with an eye to the 8 next year.

I'll be at the Easter monday game, bringing an overseas visitor to watch the game. I am not confident at all.

8. Poupou Escobar

I never said you did. My post (to which you responded and later claimed was my intent to prove Woods was better than the Tigers players) was directed to another poster who claimed they were more aggressive and tougher than Woods. I agreed they are more aggressive but showed why Woods' toughness should be in no doubt.
    He's certainly a first grader.
    Maybe so. But I don't know how much they're on and neither do you.
    That seems fair. The Tigers have a good coach now and being smart with the cap they can at least hope to be as good as Parra (a top eight team with a chance of sneaking into the four like last year).
    I'm never confident in this f**king team. Maybe over a season but not in any given game.

9. Clifferd

Clifferd Coach

Sorry I nearly spat out my food

If Woods is elite than so am i. He is the most overrated forward playing in the game today, but don’t let the stats fool you. He ass runs at the line slower than a turtle, and rarely if ever dominates a ruck. Most of his hit ups are on the 3/4th tackle after the dirty runs have been taken

He also likes to spit on his own club whilst contracted and the club captain

Woods was pretty good in his first couple years in grade To crack rep teams, but ever since then he hasn’t worked hard enough to maintain that intensity. Wouldn’t even be in the top 10 props in the game yet he’s a walk in selection to the blues and Aus for some reason

Eelementary likes this.
  10. 84 Baby

84 Baby Coach

Or some blokes just want a bit of sympathy

11. TheParraboy

TheParraboy Moderator Staff Member

No brainer

Woods over the two tigers props

Matulino was the form prop of the game 5-6 years back. Id take Latimore over him now

I like Ivan Cleary, Benji and the tigers overall, hoping they do real well this year BUT when you have dickwad supporters coming in here when we are hurting after a huge loss that has nothing to do with them, well then im kinda hoping they crash and burn big time

Eelementary and Tiger5150 like this.
  12. Tiger5150

Tiger5150 Juniors

Dont be so sure

13. 84 Baby

84 Baby Coach

Says a lot about their club as a whole when going 2 for 2 they'd still rather come to our site. Especially given neither of those 2 wins were against us, and we don't play them for weeks.
    Maybe it says more about how popular our club really is. Secretly every NRL supporter loves our club

Tiger5150 and TheParraboy like this.
  14. Clifferd

Clifferd Coach

On a serious note though

Do you think if BA had his time over again he’d have kept Alex Twal?

I still can’t believe you blokes let him go

JohnStoppafarty likes this.
  15. TheParraboy

TheParraboy Moderator Staff Member

Prefer he kept Nathan Peats and we played no points that year

Hindsight is a wonderfull thing ain't it?

Poupou Escobar and Clifferd like this.
  16. 84 Baby

84 Baby Coach

Would he have stood in his way knowing that he was likely good enough for 1st grade but wouldn't have fit within our squad?

17. Gazzamatta

Gazzamatta First Grade

Wasnt Peats contract up that year? I have a feeling Arthur wasnt too interested in keeping him.

emjaycee likes this.
  18. Djay

Djay Juniors

Never met a saltier bunch of fans, whichever play left them last year was a superstar in they're colours now all of a sudden they are rubbish.

Find something better to do with your lives and thanks for Moses, the guys a genuine gun.

19. Tiger5150

Tiger5150 Juniors

Lets get things back to the OT relevance. Evans / Mannah or Packer / Matulino?

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
  20. 84 Baby

84 Baby Coach

You're still f**king here?