What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parra young guns stick with the Eels

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=223052497736001
Eels media release: Parra young guns re-sign by Rugby League Week on Friday, July 22, 2011 at
Eels media release: Parra young guns re-sign
by Rugby League Week on Friday, July 22, 2011 at 4:14pm

PARRA YOUNG GUNS STICK WITH THE EELS

The Pirtek Parramatta Eels today announced the re-signing of a batch of youngsters Club captain Nathan Hindmarsh rates as good as any to have come through the Blue and Gold junior system.

Blockbusting centre Jacob Loko, 18 heads the pack of young Eels who have re-signed until the end of the 2013 season. He is joined by Taniela Lasalo, Mitchell Allgood and Ryan Morgan.

The Pirtek Eels will welcome back another former junior to the Club next year in Sharks forward Taulima Tautai, who has signed until the end of 2013. Tautai made his NRL debut for the Eels in Round 1, 2008.

The Eels’ talented Toyota Cup trio of Pat O’Hanlon, Marmin Barba and Rory Brien have also committed until the end of 2013, with O’Hanlon lining up in his third NRL appearance tonight against the Bulldogs.

Pirtek Eels Chief Executive Officer Paul Osborne said the signings were a direct result of the Club’s commitment to retaining its promising young players under head coach Steve Kearney.

“Retention is as important as recruitment,” Osborne said.

“We have a terrific junior representative program at the Eels and Steve Kearney is building our future around it.

“The retention of our own players is an integral part of the football program and something we addressed as an area we needed to improve on at the start of this year.

“The decision from our young guys to stick with us is a great boost for the Club and it’s another sign we are heading in the right direction.”

Hindmarsh said:

“You see so many Parra juniors out there playing for other clubs and I know it’s something the fans sometimes get frustrated with, so for us to re-sign these young guys is a huge boost,” Hindmarsh said.

“Put them alongside our other experienced guys like Tim Mannah, Luke Burt, Ben Smith, Matt Keating, Jarryd Hayne and the new players joining us in Chris Sandow, Ben Roberts, Esi Tonga and now Taulima – it’s looking like a great mix.

“I’ve been playing for the Eels for a long time and I’ve seen a lot of great young players come through our system, and guys like Jacob Loko are right up there as the most talented I’ve seen.

“Taniela (Lasalo) has played every game alongside me at second-row this year and he’s only getting better, and Mitch Allgood has been outstanding for us.”

Loko, Lasalo, O’Hanlon, Morgan, Brien, Tautai all played junior representative football with the Eels before moving into Toyota Cup and NRL squads, with Allgood making his way into the side from Toyota Cup and then Wentworthville after joining the Club from Penrith in 2009.

SIGNINGS / RE-SIGNINGS ANNOUNCED TODAY

Taulima Tautai (Cronulla), 23-years-old

Jacob Loko, 18

Taniela Lasalo, 21

Mitchell Allgood, 22

Ryan Morgan, 21

Patrick O’Hanlon, 20

Marmin Barba, 20

Rory Brien, 19

Pazza

First Grade
pat_oHanlon_getsTackled_s650.jpg

Eels Dude

Coach
Not too fussed on Morgan, Lasalo or Tautai. They could come or go really. Allgood signing is good news though he's shown he has the ability of a handy bench prop. I thought Loko and Barba re-signed ages ago.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
well this is gonna piss Manly and the Doggies off

who are they gonna sign now ?

kiwiperth

Juniors
I Still think the signing of Mortimer was the dumbest thing the eels ever did. What a waste of money.

Im not saying he is a bad player....he just wasnt worth what they paid, considering he was playing backup 5/8 to Hayne when they made their run. They should of spent his money on these kids

Stagger eel

Staff member
good news but nothing unusual there..

what concerns me is that a certain big name hasn't been included..

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Yeah I'm over Bill Tonga already. We don't need him.

As for Taulima, he was excellent at gaining metres in his rookie season - averaged 116m per game, though wasn't so good at getting over the tryline (8 tries) and his hands were ordinary.

Good defender but.

I think he's a great buy considering he's cheap and he has such utility value. Front row is probably his best position.

Gronk

Staff member
I Still think the signing of Mortimer was the dumbest thing the eels ever did. What a waste of money.

Im not saying he is a bad player....he just wasnt worth what they paid, considering he was playing backup 5/8 to Hayne when they made their run. They should of spent his money on these kids

It's easy to be wise in hindsight Champ.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Maybe he feels stuck behind a long list of FG capable props at Parramatta?

Very good point.

If there's other clubs that need top-25 front-rowers right now, there's no point in us trying to compete with the money they would be offering him.

Poore
Mannah
Moimoi
Shackleton
Allgood
Webb

All contracted for next year and how many front-rowers do you need in your squad anyway?

Then there's Hindy and Tautai who can play in the middle. Peni would struggle to get any time in first grade, plus his name sounds too much like Reni.