What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parramatta Eels Holden Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Casper The Ghost

First Grade
I dont know how much you have seen of Jennings , but you have to look at what a player does defensively, offensively , on and off the footy.I would like to see Ryan Morgan play back row as Jennings did against the sharks 42 tackles 7 carries 1 line break 1 line break assist 1 try then play 5/8 vs souths the next week for 28 tackles 9 runs for over 100mtrs over 200mtrs in kicks all this when he is a centre,when teamed with Gagan give every team they played cause for concern.both Australian scoolboys 2010 scored tries in both tests in england 21 tries between them sg ball 2010 . If we were to not look deep enough when rating players you could look at Vai Toutai game on saturday vs penrith 1st half 8 tacles 5 misses 5 runs for the whole game.....need we go on.:eek:
Thanks for making things clear. These statistics help to explain why we should keep a close eye on such players, keeping them for a few more seasons. Retention is a game of risks. Enter Peter Nolan & co.

eloquentEEL

First Grade
Why isn't Vescio playing this week? Any chance he is on standby for Keating (concussion) or debut off the bench?

Longer term, could he be ready to fill the backup hooker role next year?

I bleed blue & gold

First Grade
Why isn't Vescio playing this week? Any chance he is on standby for Keating (concussion) or debut off the bench?

Longer term, could he be ready to fill the backup hooker role next year?

He got injured V the Panthers, went off and did not come back on iirc. I don't think he would be ready tbh.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Just a question to the guys that get out to watch our under 20's, i was just checking out the Parra website and young Chad McGill is making his debut tonight. Another 17 yr old and the 10th kid from SG ball to make the leap to u20's.

I know the results haven't been that flash but is the plan of blooding these kids early working???? I mean is harming their progress or has it been a good guide to who will make it and who won't??? I've only seen a couple of games on Fox and i was pretty excited at what i saw,just interested thanks for any feedback.

Gronk

Staff member
Just a question to the guys that get out to watch our under 20's, i was just checking out the Parra website and young Chad McGill is making his debut tonight. Another 17 yr old and the 10th kid from SG ball to make the leap to u20's.

I know the results haven't been that flash but is the plan of blooding these kids early working???? I mean is harming their progress or has it been a good guide to who will make it and who won't??? I've only seen a couple of games on Fox and i was pretty excited at what i saw,just interested thanks for any feedback.

It's a interesting question about blooding young kids. In the Smithy years, you'd have to spend a long time in reggies before you'd get considered for FG. Young players would get frustrated and leave looking for other opportunies after seeing older past it players getting the gig over a promising kid.

I think that the Broncos model of good enough old enough is a refreshing change for our club. I know that forumite IN THE KNOW thinks that betting bashed every week is a bad thing for the kids, but I'm watching this with keen interest.

Will they get swallowed up or become hardened players groomed for FG ?

hineyrulz

Post Whore
It's a interesting question about blooding young kids. In the Smithy years, you'd have to spend a long time in reggies before you'd get considered for FG. Young players would get frustrated and leave looking for other opportunies after seeing older past it players getting the gig over a promising kid.

I think that the Broncos model of good enough old enough is a refreshing change for our club. I know that forumite IN THE KNOW thinks that betting bashed every week is a bad thing for the kids, but I'm watching this with keen interest.

Will they get swallowed up or become hardened players groomed for FG ?
That was pretty much my line of thinking, i know the Bronco's have never had a fear of playing their talented kids up a grade and they have been pretty succesful over the years. Interested to see what guys like Jake,Stags and Korny think who watch all the young guys coming through who i think are very good judges of talent.

eloquentEEL

First Grade
The main benefit of this policy is that young players all over the country see that we're willing to give kids a good go. All of a sudden, they're all banging down the door wanting to come for an opportunity and we get the pick of the litter.

#5yearPlan

I bleed blue & gold

First Grade
I don't have a problem with them playing all these young blokes. I think it is doing them good.

Just on this Chad McGill, he looks a shitload like Gallen. Looks wise that is.

That was pretty much my line of thinking, i know the Bronco's have never had a fear of playing their talented kids up a grade and they have been pretty succesful over the years. Interested to see what guys like Jake,Stags and Korny think who watch all the young guys coming through who i think are very good judges of talent.

TBH haven't seen many junior games this year just dont have the time. I think it's a good idea. When you train n play against older players your skills develop a lot quicker than what your used to with players your own age. It's a great idea IMO. Down side is the results will not be ther in the NYC. But it if it means a younger stronger 1st grade side for many years to come than its a sacrifice I'm willing to take.

Good indicator is last week Penrith coming 1st and they didn't smash it was 24-12. Hopefully we are on the improve.

I'd like to see Tepai Maoera and Tepai Tepu Smith given a shot later in the year. IMO they are going to be one of the best forwards we've ever produced if they keeps going that is.

Last edited:

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Cheers Jake, I know as a young guy playing cricket when i went up and played against the older guys my game improved out of sight.

MrT

Juniors
McGill is only 17 and is an absolute beast
00024163-image.jpg

McGill, Kelepi, Paul Pauli and Frazer...not to mention the young forwards we already have

Forty20

First Grade
McGilla the gorilla.

It will be interesting to see which of these boys get a shot in the trials next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts