What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parramatta Eels Juniors

Glenneel

Bench
Easiest way to do that is to refuse to quit licensed premises, then when the cops come, slap their holster and say 'What are you gonna do? Shoot me you merkin?' as one of my former associates did at 10pm on a Wednesday evening.
Well lets hope he doesn't go to America and do that, I mean in America if you call the cops and ask for help there're likely to kill you, especially if you interrupt their donut eating time.

Well lets hope he doesn't go to America and do that, I mean in America if you call the cops and ask for help there're likely to kill you, especially if you interrupt their donut eating time.

Yes. He was bloody lucky to have been treated so well here. He rocked up to me the next day with a summons in his hand and sheepishly said 'what do I do next?'. I told him to get a lawyer and apologise to the cops.

Basil Brush

Juniors
Can anyone tell me if this is our 1st under 20s GF. I thought we may have made one other.

Maybe the great man @Forty20 knows.

Or I should look it up

Also I believe this the last year of this under 20 tournament? Would be great to win the last one.

Bandwagon

Staff member
Can anyone tell me if this is our 1st under 20s GF. I thought we may have made one other.

Or I should look it up

Also I believe this the last year of this under 20 tournament? Would be great to win the last one.

Eternal Premiers..

I like the sound of that

Forty20

First Grade

Or I should look it up

This is indeed our first grand final since the inception of the NYC in 2008 as the then Toyota Cup. We made the grand final qualifier in 2014 but were pipped in the last minute by the New Zealand Warriors, who would go on to win the title from 8th place that season.

And yeah this is the last ever NYC grand final before it transitions to a state based NSW/QLD competition. It would be extra sweet to bring home the trophy on account of it!

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Not only have we never won the NYC competition, but the last time we won the under 20s in any iteration was Jersey Flegg Cup back in 1990 (though it was under 19s until 1997). So our under 19s/20s premiership drought is almost as long as our first grade drought.

So in that 27 years since we last won the under 20s, we have won Harold Matthews 10 times. That means we have won 37% of Harold Matthews titles in the past 27 years, with all other clubs combining to win the other 63% of titles (17 times).

The Harold Matts breakdown (since 1990) looks like this:

10 Eels
4 Knights
4 Panthers
3 Bulldogs
2 Raiders
2 Sharks
1 Seagulls
1 Steelers

SG Ball winners since 1990:

5 Eels
4 Panthers
4 Roosters
3 Knights
2 Rabbitohs
2 Raiders
2 Tigers
1 Bulldogs
1 Dragons
1 Magpies
1 Sharks
1 Steelers

Jersey Flegg/NYC winners since 1990:

4 Bulldogs
4 Panthers
4 Roosters
3 Tigers
3 Warriors
2 Dragons
2 Knights
2 Raiders
1 Bears
1 Storm
(1 Eels/Sea Eagles)

It certainly shows which clubs have a strong local comp and which ones recruit their junior reps externally.

Basil Brush

Juniors
Not only have we never won the NYC competition, but the last time we won the under 20s in any iteration was Jersey Flegg Cup back in 1990 (though it was under 19s until 1997). So our under 19s/20s premiership drought is almost as long as our first grade drought.

So in that 27 years since we last won the under 20s, we have won Harold Matthews 10 times. That means we have won 37% of Harold Matthews titles in the past 27 years, with all other clubs combining to win the other 63% of titles (17 times).

The Harold Matts breakdown (since 1990) looks like this:

10 Eels
4 Knights
4 Panthers
3 Bulldogs
2 Raiders
2 Sharks
1 Seagulls
1 Steelers

SG Ball winners since 1990:

5 Eels
4 Panthers
4 Roosters
3 Knights
2 Rabbitohs
2 Raiders
2 Tigers
1 Bulldogs
1 Dragons
1 Magpies
1 Sharks
1 Steelers

Jersey Flegg/NYC winners since 1990:

4 Bulldogs
4 Panthers
4 Roosters
3 Tigers
3 Warriors
2 Dragons
2 Knights
2 Raiders
1 Bears
1 Storm
(1 Eels/Sea Eagles)

It certainly shows which clubs have a strong local comp and which ones recruit their junior reps externally.
Nice work Pou.

Basil Brush

Juniors
This is indeed our first grand final since the inception of the NYC in 2008 as the then Toyota Cup. We made the grand final qualifier in 2014 but were pipped in the last minute by the New Zealand Warriors, who would go on to win the title from 8th place that season.

And yeah this is the last ever NYC grand final before it transitions to a state based NSW/QLD competition. It would be extra sweet to bring home the trophy on account of it!
You are the best when it comes to our juniors.

You may have already answered this but who are the main players to watch (besides GL).

I am going to start a thread in your honour and mods can close if they want.

hindy111

Post Whore
GL looks special but Akafalou almost seems a safer bet to play first grade due to the physical specimen he is.

I think next year we will see Niakuore start the season from bench and Tepai move too prop.
Stone would be a smokie to debut at some stage. GL and Dane will play nsw cup and compete with Jennings and Davis who also looked like stars in the under 20s comp.
I saw Dane play NSW cup. The two I mentioned looked closer to first graders. And Niakuore was by far the most damaging forward.

hindy111

Post Whore
Without putting a dampner on things. It is rare to get more then 4 or 5 players from a under 20s side into first.
If 2 or 3 made it then that would be an excellent effort. This year maybe an exception and time will tell. But if look through history even guys who made under 20s team fo year only about 50-60% become regular first graders.

I always thought Davis would go well. The step up is huge. GL will be your boom or bust. How much of his physical play be easily dealt with in the NRL?

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
I seriously doubt Moeroa will move to the middle permanently or even start there.

He is too valuable as an edge player. For someone with his size, his defence is great out there, so why move him to middle to run against bigger bodies when we can have him target smaller players like opposition halves.

Glenneel

Bench

It'll be a perpetual trophy as well, straight into our bulging trophy cabinet, not.

Eelementary

Post Whore
I really like GL, but I worry that his height might hinder his First Grade career.

He's a more talented Bureta Faraimo; short (for a footballer), stocky, powerful - except he actually quick (Faraimo took a while to wind up).

And it's usually easy for kids to play the power game in under 20's, but you really need to develop something else to play First Grade.

Latest posts