What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parramatta Eels Juniors

Stagger eel

Staff member
Yeah because I doubt he would have been our only back up half in the entire squad, and I doubt he would have been parachuted into the top 30 at just 18 if his name was Bloggs.

well most if not all squads have 1 to 2 back up halves in squads, we had 1 last year and 2 this year before the kid left then went back down to 1.

in 2021 we had Will Smith who left and did f**k all at the titans and is currently doing f**k all at wests.

if we had to choose between the 2 now i know who I'd want it to be and it's not chris Rock's mate.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
well most if not all squads have 1 to 2 back up halves in squads, we had 1 last year and 2 this year before the kid left then went back down to 1.

in 2021 we had Will Smith who left and did f**k all at the titans and is currently doing f**k all at wests.

if we had to choose between the 2 now i know who I'd want it to be and it's not chris Rock's mate.
How bout neither?? Even though Jakes last few games at a manly have been quite good. I think he’s shown that with a dominant half beside him he can do a job and play a little footy. When he was given the keys of the team ahead of Brown that was when it had become laughable. Brown showed the last 2 weeks that he is capable of being that main man without Moses. Actually whilst Moses is at the club I doubt we will ever get full value out of Dyl.

Stagger eel

Staff member
How bout neither?? Even though Jakes last few games at a manly have been quite good. I think he’s shown that with a dominant half beside him he can do a job and play a little footy. When he was given the keys of the team ahead of Brown that was when it had become laughable. Brown showed the last 2 weeks that he is capable of being that main man without Moses. Actually whilst Moses is at the club I doubt we will ever get full value out of Dyl.
that's the thing, JA does a good job because as you put it, he has a dominant half beside him but most back up 7s would have an alpha half beside them ... would they not?

hineyrulz

Post Whore
that's the thing, JA does a good job because as you put it, he has a dominant half beside him but most back up 7s would have an alpha half beside them ... would they not?
No they wouldn’t, and when he was picked as back up I was fine with it even though I questioned how can he be the only back up half in the squad. It’s when he was given the keys while Dyl sat on his hands and pretty much didn’t get in the game. Or when the
Coach had to find a way to shoehorn him into the side while Brown was shunted to the centres. It didn’t work and that’s where most of the anger came from.

Pazza

First Grade
Coach had to find a way to shoehorn him into the side while Brown was shunted to the centres. It didn’t work and that’s where most of the anger came from.

thats wat i remember, once parra kool hip kid got moved thats when the hate began.

i also remember we had some pretty poor outside back depth, lol, somethings never change

hindy111

Post Whore
it was a bit more than a few boos mate...

waaaay too much was made out of a kid who was purely a back up half in the squad which is pretty much the same role he's playing at Manly.

it's been said a few times before and I'll say it again, we wouldn't be having this conversation if his name wasn't Arthur.

Sure. And you should also question the process.
What teams thrown 18ylds into the fold unless they are generational talents? Most NRL back ups with average skill sets aren't used untill they are early to mid 20s.
Surely the staff knew that if he wasn't going to rip it up fans where going to turn especaily being the coaches son. Anyone could of predicted that. Just how it is so rather then we attack fans for doing exactly what any knumb skull could see ( even tho it's mean ) I feel we should be looking at why the coaching staff where unable to protect the kid from the wolves knowing he was hardly a generational talent that needed to be thrown into NRL cause they couldn't hold such a talent back.

I don't blame the fans. I blame the coaching staff.

hindy111

Post Whore
No they wouldn’t, and when he was picked as back up I was fine with it even though I questioned how can he be the only back up half in the squad. It’s when he was given the keys while Dyl sat on his hands and pretty much didn’t get in the game. Or when the

Or moved to centre

hineyrulz

Post Whore
And wtf was RANKIN the back up when he wasn't even committed to going into the bubble to play NRL.
Here's the issue. COACHING STAFF
Yep, once he refused to go into the bubble we should have moved him on from being an option in the halves. He’s been gumming up the works for the last couple of seasons.

Last edited:

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Not when they’re replacing the dominant half. The thing with our halves pairing is that neither is dominant. Moses does most of the kicking and Drown makes a lot of runs. But neither of them is smart enough to play that free role around the middle, making it up as they go. The structure we have plays to their strengths, but also any given backup is unlikely to have the same strengths as the player he is replacing. Jake Arthur’s main strength is his ability to dig into the line and create space on his outside. It suits DCE because he is very good playing out the back of that.

But while our halves both enjoy running with some space, which Arthur can provide, no backup can replace Moses’ kicking game or Drown’s running. Just like no backup can replace what DCE does. If Arthur’s was trying to replace him he would also look shit, as he did when they played us.

Gazzamatta

Coach
Not when they’re replacing the dominant half. The thing with our halves pairing is that neither is dominant. Moses does most of the kicking and Drown makes a lot of runs. But neither of them is smart enough to play that free role around the middle, making it up as they go. The structure we have plays to their strengths, but also any given backup is unlikely to have the same strengths as the player he is replacing. Jake Arthur’s main strength is his ability to dig into the line and create space on his outside. It suits DCE because he is very good playing out the back of that.

But while our halves both enjoy running with some space, which Arthur can provide, no backup can replace Moses’ kicking game or Drown’s running. Just like no backup can replace what DCE does. If Arthur’s was trying to replace him he would also look shit, as he did when they played us.
He seems to be doing ok replacing Schusters skills.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
thats wat i remember, once parra kool hip kid got moved thats when the hate began.

i also remember we had some pretty poor outside back depth, lol, somethings never change
We didn’t have poor outside back depth, we had half a dozen merkins unavailable. Sivo, Niukore, Blake, Opacic, Russell and Dunster were all injured during those two games where Drown played centre. Hayze Perham was on the wing ffs

Latest posts