What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parramatta Eels Paul Kent Club members list.

Soren Lorenson

First Grade
Last list - the red inkers, provisional members. Hopefully none of these guys applications are accepted

Sam Louizou
Hayze Perham application rejected
Ky Rodwell
Mitch Rein application rejected
Ky Rodwell application rejected.
Sam L looking like he might officially become the newest member.

parra pete

Referee
21. Doug Harrison '60
22. Barry Wickham '62
23. Arch Foy '62
24. Peter Matson '63
25. Max Burgmann '64
26. Val Shoudra '65
27. Ron Jelley '65
28. Fred Baber Jnr 66-68
29. Barry Norden '66
30. Rod Smith '68
Peter Matson played more than one first grade game. I remember him kicking Parramatta to a famous victory over StGeorge at Cumberland Oval one Sunday in 1962. "Record crowds flocked to Cumberland Oval in 1962. For example, 18,522 spectators jam packed Cumberland Oval when Parra thrashed Saints 19-8 on Sunday July 15, 1962..(I was one of them.. )
Parramatta 19 (Ken Foord,Mike Jackson, Brian Hambly tries, Peter MATSON 5 goals) defeated StGeorge 8 (Kevin Ryan, John Greaves tries, Brian Graham 1 goal).
I had played a game at Auburn in the early afternoon, and travelled to Cumberland with my mates to enjoy the win....as we did ALWAYS..
Nothing like an arvo at Cumberland.,..
Peter was the Parra top scorer that season with 54 points from 27 goals in 10 matches

Soren Lorenson

First Grade
Peter Matson played more than one first grade game. I remember him kicking Parramatta to a famous victory over StGeorge at Cumberland Oval one Sunday in 1962. "Record crowds flocked to Cumberland Oval in 1962. For example, 18,522 spectators jam packed Cumberland Oval when Parra thrashed Saints 19-8 on Sunday July 15, 1962..(I was one of them.. )
Parramatta 19 (Ken Foord,Mike Jackson, Brian Hambly tries, Peter MATSON 5 goals) defeated StGeorge 8 (Kevin Ryan, John Greaves tries, Brian Graham 1 goal).
I had played a game at Auburn in the early afternoon, and travelled to Cumberland with my mates to enjoy the win....as we did ALWAYS..
Nothing like an arvo at Cumberland.,..
Peter was the Parra top scorer that season with 54 points from 27 goals in 10 matches
Thanks @parra pete my sources are not always accurate. I'll kick him out of the club.

emjaycee

Coach
Can anyone name one player who has played 1 game for us and doesn't appear in the Official Player Numbers list?

the phantom menace

First Grade
Is that a trick question... or is there someone in that situation?

Were they only a 5 second sub perhaps, or were they expunged from the list for some reason?

King-Gutho94

Coach
While on the official player list

Has the club made an effort to find out some of the players first names from the early days.

There is a around 26-27 players on that list that just have an initial for the first name from 1947 to 1959.

Surely those players should be recognised properly with there full name.

the phantom menace

First Grade
While on the official player list

Has the club made an effort to find out some of the players first names from the early days.

There is a around 26-27 players on that list that just have an initial for the first name from 1947 to 1959.

Surely those players should be recognised properly with there full name.
There's a few there isn't there... you think there'd be records of first names somewhere, even if it requires a big of digging around in less likely places?

For example, I did a Trove search for the first one (15 R Croghan 1947) and found one article indicating that Croghan (still no first name) scored a try for Wentwrothville A Grade on 6 June 1948 (link)... A further article indicates that R Croghan was a reserve grade hooker and sent off on 29 Feb 1948 during a practice (trial) game against Balmain (link).

This suggests with some further investigation there are avenues where records (perhaps paper based, somewhere) of a first name for this and other early Eels players may well be uncovered.

the phantom menace

First Grade
There's a few there isn't there... you think there'd be records of first names somewhere, even if it requires a big of digging around in less likely places?

For example, I did a Trove search for the first one (15 R Croghan 1947) and found one article indicating that Croghan (still no first name) scored a try for Wentwrothville A Grade on 6 June 1948 (link)... A further article indicates that R Croghan was a reserve grade hooker and sent off on 29 Feb 1948 during a practice (trial) game against Balmain (link).

This suggests with some further investigation there are avenues where records (perhaps paper based, somewhere) of a first name for this and other early Eels players may well be uncovered.
And with some further searching... I think there's a strong chance it might end up being Ronald Croghan, who in 1952 was reported living at Wentworthville who was done for drink driving... (link)?

A Ron Croghan is named as a reserve in the Wenworthville team of the century (along with son Tom?) too... (link). The Croghans appear to have run a family poultry business in Station Street Wentworthville, and R's brother N Croghan also comes up in newspaper lists as a local league player at the time.

Anyway, point being there's the chance for the Club to have a volunteer project (co-ordinated by someone with a clue/professional qualifications in these matters) to gradually seek out, confirm and fill in the blank first names for players from that era.

Last edited: