What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parramatta Eels sign Josh Papalii for 2014

Raider_69

Post Whore
Logical thing to do would be...let him speak for himself about his future THEN put the ban on so media leaves him alone and he can focus on the season. I think the ban is to have mal and the likes talk to him without media interference. Furner and 'insiders' are talking for him which tells me they're nervous

Of course we're nervous. The bloke has signed a deal elsewhere and we want to keep him. No one in Canberra is shying away from the fact there is a real chance we'll lose him, and we are no chance of keeping him unless we come up with the cash.

I would bet my bottom dollar R.Stuart and Edwards, for all their bravdo and feet stamping in the papers are quietly nervous too, they know if Papalii does change his mind, there is absolutely nothing they can do, contract or not to stop him reneging.

No one knows how this this is going to play out right now. That's kind of what ive been saying since Friday night. We have two clubs keen for him, one has a deal and the other is trying hard to match it so they can keep him. At some point (and id suggest that point will be when Canberra table their next offer) Papalii will have to make a decision once and for all. That's when this will be put to bed and probably not a moment sooner.

Raider_69

Post Whore
How have you come to this conclusion without the "kid" saying it himself?

When every major news outlet is reporting he is having 2nd thoughts, and every scum bag snoop journalist has confirmed with their sources he's reconsidering, then you've got a club working over time to arrange cash for a bloke they are absolutely adamant does not want to leave unless he has too... the balance of probability says there is too much smoke here not to have a fire.

You're welcome to ignore the smoke, but i wont and it seems no one outside parramatta fans are either.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Logical thing to do would be...let him speak for himself about his future THEN put the ban on so media leaves him alone and he can focus on the season. I think the ban is to have mal and the likes talk to him without media interference. Furner and 'insiders' are talking for him which tells me they're nervous

having to call in Mal tells me their nervous

the fact he hasn't signed despite calling in the corporates tells me they're nervous

84 Baby

Referee
I think you will struggle to find me saying he is deadset keen to backflip. As ive said a number of times, the most likely scenario here is that he honors his deal with Parramatta, and i have absolutely no issue with that, other than obvious disappointment as a Raiders fan to lose a talented player.

All i have said is that i think it's plain as day the guy is having 2nd thoughts. And his playing distination for 2014 is still very much up in the air. I genuinely believe he could go either way, but as several, including myself have pointed out, even if he wants to stay, the Raiders are up against it as to keep him, we've got to come up with the cash and convince him to renege on his deal.

If he doesnt want to stay, i dont see any logical reason for all this to be going on. Furner and McIntyre is not in the habit of playing PR man with the fans, the club is notrious for how little it thinks of how the fans feel about management. It's one of the fan bases major gripes. This is a management, who at the height of our losing streak told the fan base David Furner is safe until he loses 30 games in a row, and then had the arrogence to basically tell us, they'd never sacked a coach ever and they never will, and they couldnt care less what the fans thought because they know better than us.

So the idea that the club is blowing smoke up the media's arse to appease raiders fans, is rather foreign to us. They've never bothered trying to appease the fans before, why start now? Especially over something no one is really critical of them for

If they werent trying to match it and confident they can keep him, they'd have just sooked in the media about junior concessions and got on with other business, especially considering most raiders fans are no longer concerned about Managements role in this because the numbers being thrown around are much higher than most of us would be willing to pay him under the cap

There just seems to be a Sargent Schultz attitude here that if you guys close your eyes and pretend it's not happen, you'll wake up and it will all be a dream and Papalii is a sure starter for the Eels in 2014... it very well may end that way, and as i said, its the most likely outcome at this stage, but that doesnt change what i think is rather obvious and that's that he is taking the time now, thanks in large to the ridiculous Round 13 clause, to reconsider his options.
What I think is rather obvious is that he is having second thoughts after Furner & co finally decided to put the hard word on him to stay. I am actually fine with them doing so AND banning him from the media while doing so... as long as everything is between Canberra, Papalii and his agent which is then relayed directly to Parra.

84 Baby

Referee
I would bet my bottom dollar R.Stuart and Edwards, for all their bravdo and feet stamping in the papers are quietly nervous too, they know if Papalii does change his mind, there is absolutely nothing they can do, contract or not to stop him reneging.

Which is really f**ked up.

At some point (and id suggest that point will be when Canberra table their next offer) Papalii will have to make a decision once and for all. That's when this will be put to bed and probably not a moment sooner.
Until Parra table their counter-offer?

IFR33K

Coach

Do you really think its important to speak to the media, at this stage.

I'm sure sticky and our management will be in his managers ear, just as much as the raiders are. That's the main thing.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Then why did he sign a contract with another club?

Suity

Good question. One best directed at Papalii.
An answer i think we'll get once Papalii is ready to make the call.

I could guess and say perhaps Canberra's version of events is correct and his manager did not give the Raiders correct information, and therefor when their deal feel flat compared to Parramatta's, he signed away. Now it's clear Canberra can do better, he's willing to hear what they've got because his preference is to stay.

Another scenario is that perhaps for what ever reason, he was not feeling the love canberra's way at the time, and thought this was a great deal for him. Which it is.

Another, far more concerning scenario is he and his manager knew of the Round 13 situation and felt it was a good chance to lock in a big deal and then leverage it to get the same out of Canberra so he can have his cake and eat it too. This way what ever happens he's got fat stacks and if he can stay in canberra to get it, so much the better.

Or as you guys have suggested, he wants out. Loves the direction of Parramatta, cant wait to get there and be apart of the Ricky Stuart era and the plumes of smoke coming out of this story are just Furner and co running a blue light disco to appease fans they've never shown an inclination to care for.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member

I've no doubt he is ready to make the call, or more likely already made the call

lucky he has you and Furner to speak for him but you speak with green tongue

Suitman

Post Whore

I could guess and say perhaps Canberra's version of events is correct and his manager did not give the Raiders correct information, and therefor when their deal feel flat compared to Parramatta's, he signed away. Now it's clear Canberra can do better, he's willing to hear what they've got because his preference is to stay.

Another scenario is that perhaps for what ever reason, he was not feeling the love canberra's way at the time, and thought this was a great deal for him. Which it is.

Another, far more concerning scenario is he and his manager knew of the Round 13 situation and felt it was a good chance to lock in a big deal and then leverage it to get the same out of Canberra so he can have his cake and eat it too. This way what ever happens he's got fat stacks and if he can stay in canberra to get it, so much the better.

Or as you guys have suggested, he wants out. Loves the direction of Parramatta, cant wait to get there and be apart of the Ricky Stuart era and the plumes of smoke coming out of this story are just Furner and co running a blue light disco to appease fans they've never shown an inclination to care for.

So how about we drop the 15 avenues for speculation and let the scenario play itself out.

Suity

Craig Johnston

First Grade
being of polynesian background (i do know some of his relatives) his mother was involved because the decision he makes is for his entire family. i don't have any problems with that, and that shouldn't be used as a way of judging his character.

what is being called into question is how serious he is about honouring the agreement. again the rules are there to exploit, and if he is simply now just exploiting him then really we need an exit strategy to walk away now

i don't think we've lost significantly if we dont' sign him, as there will be a host of similar free agents to move onto, i think we will have lost significantly if we end up being played at round 13.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Which is really f**ked up.
Yes it is. It's a total farce.

Until Parra table their counter-offer?

Unfortunately for Parra, the way it is run, is that should we get his name on a contract, like you guys have, we can send it in to the NRL and they will ratify it almost immediately, we wont have to wait until Round 13 to have it rubber stamped. So whilst of course Parra are free to counter-offer, the rule is written to benefit the incumbent club. If he get him to renege i imagine it will be via a contract which will just about be air lifted to NRL HQ to be rubber stamped. Parra might not have a chance to counter offer... aside from the fact they may not want to counter, as many of your fans have said, if he's the type to renege on the deal, maybe he's not the right guy for Parramatta.

84 Baby

Referee
Yes it is. It's a total farce.

Unfortunately for Parra, the way it is run, is that should we get his name on a contract, like you guys have, we can send it in to the NRL and they will ratify it almost immediately, we wont have to wait until Round 13 to have it rubber stamped. So whilst of course Parra are free to counter-offer, the rule is written to benefit the incumbent club. If he get him to renege i imagine it will be via a contract which will just about be air lifted to NRL HQ to be rubber stamped. Parra might not have a chance to counter offer... aside from the fact they may not want to counter, as many of your fans have said, if he's the type to renege on the deal, maybe he's not the right guy for Parramatta.
Sorry I forgot that the NRL was the adjudicating body for Australian contract law

Gronk

Staff member
Yes this smells like the Sandow deal doesn't it ? He signs for superior coin and then has to face his peers and coach with the bad news. The player is not entirely honest with them and sheepishly says that he hasn't made up his mind. But really he has.

#hescoming