What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parramatta Eels trying to buy a premiership

FUIFUI_MOIMOI

Juniors
The Eels are now prepared to sacrifice several prized local juniors in exchange for a premiership, judging from their signing of forwards Justin Poore and Shane Shackleton on three year deals.

Both Poore and Shackleton yesterday agreed to join the Eels after both players were in high demand from several other clubs.

Poore’s signature was the most sought after in the NRL transfer market, with the Dragons prop commanding offers of up to $350,000 a season.

Although the Cronulla Sharks were firmly in the running for Poore, it was Parramatta in the end that forked out the deal to lure arguably the form forward in the NRL competition.

But if gaining the services of the most in-demand prop in the game was not enough, the Eels also found room under their salary cap to snare the Roosters’ best forward in Shackleton.

Although he is currently playing in a poor performing side, Shackleton’s form this season has not been overlooked by representative selectors, with the 26 year-old making his City debut this season.

He has also been earmarked as a possible NSW Origin representative in this series or the next.

The signing of two quality forwards will ensure that the Eels will have one of the more mobile packs running around.

But with high expectations comes significant pressure, as both Poore and Shackleton will be charged with leading the Eels to a premiership that is long overdue.

The signing of both Poore and Shackleton suggests Parramatta have now thrown all their eggs in the one basket, considering the club will now have to offload some of its quality juniors in order to stay under the salary cap.

Among the youngsters that are now on the outer at Parramatta include Jeremy Latimore, Junior Paulo and exciting young half Albert Kelly, who is the cousin of Melbourne Storm superstar Greg Inglis.

Although the junior ranks at the Eels will always be strong, the cash that Poore and Shackleton will now demand will see the Eels struggle to keep a lot of their promising stars for several seasons.

But if Poore and Shackleton can replicate the form they have shown so far this year, maybe the duo will finally bring the traits necessary to produce the thing Eels fans have long been craving - a premiership.

http://www.theroar.com.au/2009/06/11/parramatta-eels-trying-to-buy-a-premiership/

Gronk

Staff member
I gave up on this pelican after reading the title. Buy a premiership ? We have the same salary cap and the other teams, dickhead.

wow we buy some big name players for the 1st time in about 3 seasons and all of a sudden we are tring to buy a premiership?
Any sigings this year for next were going to be big compared to last year where only signed Kevin Kingston, who has been very good for us IMO. Not the dud of the year as Rothfield put it.

Delboy

First Grade
Intersting the Beagles buy Kite on $400k, Lyon and Ordord and even those pelicans didn't get a serve like that, what a goose.

Promising juniors unfortunately often stay that way, they remain promising, ffs we have paid overs to keep those in the past, the world won't end if a few of them move on, d...h...

oldmancraigy

Coach
Among the youngsters that are now on the outer at Parramatta include Jeremy Latimore, Junior Paulo and exciting young half Albert Kelly, who is the cousin of Melbourne Storm superstar Greg Inglis.

Although the junior ranks at the Eels will always be strong, the cash that Poore and Shackleton will now demand will see the Eels struggle to keep a lot of their promising stars for several seasons.

Junior Paulo is a "youngster"?? He's 26 isn't he?
Latimore is 25 isn't he? (or is he 24?)

They hardly qualify as 'youngsters'

And there's no reason to believe we'll neccessarily 'have to lose them' either.
We could increase Latimore's pay by 20% and it wouldn't cause so much as a sniffle as far as our cap is concerned!

The 'youngsters' who we're likely to lose are:
Wright - gone already
Tautai - unless he takes a major paycut
Cordoba - who is 25 anyway
Mitchell - but I was under the impression that he was contracted until the end of next year anyway?
Perhaps a couple of guys from the NYC team who want too much money - but I wouldn't be throwing more than 50k at most of them.

Hate to say it, but it isn't the best NYC team we've ever had...
I'd keep the frontrowers (Allgood, Mitchell, Johnson), Kelly, O'Hanlon, and Lasalo.

Johnson, Kelly and O'Hanlon are all NYC eligible for next season anyhow - so we can pay them out of the NYC pool. Allgood, Lasalo and Mitchell aren't going to get offers over 50-60k anyway...

Parra Guru

Coach
:lol: This is a typical Parra bash isn't it! The first real big name signings we've had since Tahu and Riddell ( don't count Finch as big) and they beat us up for it.

Manly, Roosters have done it for years and hell, aren't St George themselves poaching the likes of Lockyer? Look at the names they have this season. No wonder they can't afford Poore.

eel4life

Juniors
Dragons .... bought half a new team
Bulldogs .... bought a whole new team
Cronulla .... bought new players
Warriors .... bought new players
Bunnies .... bought new players
Melbourne .... bought and by players
Cowboys .... buy new players
titans buy new players

we do it 1 year and all of a sudden we are buying a premiership .... FMD ...

natheel

Coach
Manly: orford, Kennedy, Lyon, perry, kite all bought to bring a premiership to them within a few years

Bulldogs: hannant, Morris, stagg, Eastwood, kimmorley, ennis

Dragons: boyd, weyman, sailor, paea, priddis, smith, costigan and don't forget Bennett

Roosters: mason, ogre, myles, anasta

And the list goes on of teams trying to buy a premiership that's what the salary cap does. It has evened out the comp enough that star players are hard to keep whoever wrote this article needs to start writing articles for another code coz they definately don't understand the league salary cap

junior009

Juniors
I couldn't give a toss if we are trying to buy one, it's about time we did something different, clearly what we've done in the past hasn't worked.
Sure, as a fan, I'd love us to win a comp with a team full of local juniors....but in this day and age that just isn't going to happen.

EELMAN JACK

Juniors
pardon me if i am wrong, but i am under the impression that this is what ALL clubs do. surely they don't buy players just for the fun of it! i would like to hear about any club that didn't buy players so they can help win the premiership.

slippery_sucker

Juniors
pardon me if i am wrong, but i am under the impression that this is what ALL clubs do. surely they don't buy players just for the fun of it! i would like to hear about any club that didn't buy players so they can help win the premiership.

Parra the last few years!!! look where that got us!!!

planeteels

Juniors
Gee.. if getting a Premiership was as easy as just buying one.. why didn't we just use eftpos and buy it??

Latest posts