What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parramatta Leagues Club board sacked, administrator appointed

Stagger eel

Staff member
We've had a few watershed moments at this club in the last year or 2 let's make this way a f**king great one...

Congrats to all concerned now let's get down to business

strider

Post Whore
1487905130906.jpg

I known its probably trivial as all hell, but i appreciate that they all made the effort to wear a blue and/or gold tie/bit of clothing

hindmarshisgod

Juniors
God damn i am so glad the govt stepped in to get rid of the cancer that was running the club. I normally hate politics and think all govts and politicians are corrupted morons with self interest, and dont believe they should have the authority to step in the way they did, but must say i was pleasantly pleased they stepped in to clean up the mess.

Now we can just enjoy the footy. Win,draw or lose.

Gronk

Staff member
FoxSports News was there today with the introduction of the new gang.

Did the reporter ask Bernie about the merkins on the Board ? No he asked about Foran and Semi.
idk.gif

phantom eel

First Grade
Great stuff, finally a new - and professionally appointed - Football Club Board.

After all the shit fights of the last 10 years - which if I recall started with a trucker organising a demo because Fitzgerald stated the bleeding obvious about not being able to guarantee anything in 5 years, resulted in a bunch of 3P faction cowboys hoodwinking (almost) all and sundry, and ended with the election of maybe well-intentioned but ultimately out of their depth alternate faction - we've finally got to where everyone wanted our club to be... a club with good governance!

Hallelujah. Miracles do exist.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...9/news-story/701bfe6d9be962c92f8b557508655b53

Eels chairman Max Donnelly says he’s staying on until new stadium is built in 2019
NICK TABAKOFF, EXCLUSIVE, The Daily Telegraph
February 24, 2017 6:02pm

PARRAMATTA Eels chairman Max Donnelly says his work is far from over — despite finally announcing a completely new board of business heavyweights to take the club into the future following its tumultuous 2016.

In an exclusive interview with The Saturday Daily Telegraph, Donnelly indicated he would be staying on the Eels board until the opening of the new Parramatta Stadium in April 2019, which will provide huge opportunities for the club to grow its membership base.

“I will be staying on for 12 months as chairman, to check the board is working properly and find my successor, and another 12 months as a director.”

When Donnelly first came on board in July last year after the unprecedented government-sanctioned sacking of the entire Eels board, he had indicated that he would depart by the start of the 2017 season.

But he now says the reputational damage for the Eels has been so great from last year’s salary cap scandal _ exposed by The Daily Telegraph _ that he now needs to stay on to steward the club as it repairs its damaged brand.

Despite this, Donnelly has made it clear the club is open for business, and has never been more squeaky clean _ following Friday’s announcement of the new board _ full of heavyweight executives from Australia’s top five companies _ and a new constitution.

“We’re looking through the windscreen, not the rear window,” he said. We’ve got a good coach, a good roster, a good CEO and a good board. That doesn’t mean we’re going to win a comp, but we’re giving it every chance.”

The Eels unveiled what CEO Bernie Gurr described as “one of the most reputable boards of directors in Australian sport”.

The full new board is:

*Sean McElduff, Westpac’s chief operating officer for financial markets;

*Anthony Shiner, executive director of digital for Telstra;

*Colin Robertshaw, who until recently was the Commonwealth Bank’s head of property finance;

*Michael McRitchie, former CEO of Centrebet before it was taken over by the Sportsbet empire;

*Vicki Leaver, an executive director at Legal Aid NSW;

*Jim Sarantinos, partner at financial restructuring firm Ferrier Hodgson, and;

*Donnelly himself.

The new board cannot come soon enough. The club has just disclosed a staggering $12 million loss for the 2016 season, amid a collapse in revenues from sponsorship, visual advertising and merchandise _ the latter of which saw alleged fraud still being investigated by a police strike force.

The club’s two major sponsorships, the front and back of jersey, are still on the market, after Dyldam and financial services company Infinity both departed the club last year.

Donnelly says he needs to stay at least in the interim to help the club to prove to prospective sponsors it is once again a strong and viable commercial proposition.

“The club’s got a damaged brand, and it hasn’t got a major sponsor,” he said. “That has a major financial consequence. But I’d like to think if people understand what’s going on, we’re not going to give it away, and we want someone reputable.”

But he said the club was living well within its means _ a factor that leaves it well positioned to make major player acquisitions. “I can confirm we’re within the salary cap, and we’re not going to be outside of it while I’m drawing breath,” he said.

Donnelly said he was leaving the massive fraud investigation underway at the Eels largely to the police.

“The fraud squad will do what the fraud squad will do,” he says. “There’s the police investigation, the Independent Liquor and Gaming Authority and the ATO investigation. That’s not the new board’s problem _ they’re here to move the club forward. I’ll be here to assist them as much as necessary.”

Donnelly expects he will stay around for even longer as chairman of the Parramatta Leagues Club, the Eels’ parent company. It is understood State government and regulatory authorities are keen for him to stay around to manage the club through both the opening of the new Parramatta Stadium in 2019, and of an adjacent, redeveloped $120 million Parramatta Leagues Club by 2020, including a massive new facility and hotel complex.

He will look to introduce electronic voting for the Leagues Club board in coming years. “It means you might get 10,000 votes for a board election, rather than a few hundred. It will make it harder to stack meetings.”

Donnelly said he had a total of 90 applications to join the Eels board, of which 32 were given an interview and 10 received a second interview. “There were a lot of people who were great who didn’t make it because the standard was so high,” he said.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Great stuff, finally a new - and professionally appointed - Football Club Board.

After all the shit fights of the last 10 years - which if I recall started with a trucker organising a demo because Fitzgerald stated the bleeding obvious about not being able to guarantee anything in 5 years, resulted in a bunch of 3P faction cowboys hoodwinking (almost) all and sundry, and ended with the election of maybe well-intentioned but ultimately out of their depth alternate faction - we've finally got to where everyone wanted our club to be... a club with good governance!

Hallelujah. Miracles do exist.

Maybe Well intentioned?? ...
make sure you pass that message on the fraud squad... lol

Gronk

Staff member
Maybe Well intentioned?? ...
make sure you pass that message on the fraud squad... lol

I think Bart was saying that they did not do what they did for personal gain. My take is that when the last mob took over from the mob before them they discovered that the mob before them did dodgy shit that was hard to unravel.

Faced with going cap in hand to the NRL, the last mob decided (stupidly) to trade out thinking that they could wind down the dodgy deals until such time that the cap was legal. Enter the whilst-blower and the rest is history.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
My thinking is that successive waves of staff and players from successful clubs were recruited. They explained how things worked at those organisations and we followed suit.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
I think Bart was saying that they did not do what they did for personal gain. My take is that when the last mob took over from the mob before them they discovered that the mob before them did dodgy shit that was hard to unravel.

Faced with going cap in hand to the NRL, the last mob decided (stupidly) to trade out thinking that they could wind down the dodgy deals until such time that the cap was legal. Enter the whilst-blower and the rest is history.
lol