What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parramatta Stadium Rebuild and other stuff

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
No way should the club be forced or agree to the current terms offered by the State Govt entity. They are asking for 3 times more than the old Parramatta Stadium and twice what any other club pays , even for the new stadiums in other states.

It is a blatant grab for revenue, the club was shafted by the deal at ANZ hurriedly signed off by the previous board which cost the club over $1 million per season more than the Dogs or Souffs were charged.

With the soccer team also refusing to accept the charges, the typical govt statutory body will try and get away with daylight robbery. Good on the club, this is the first sign of real difference we have seen from Bernie. Another toll road robbery tactic from those in charge who have no idea of the electorates cost of living pressures.

I heard the same thing today and I'm not surprised we told them to f**k off.

Anything the state govt build generally blows the budget by a fair bit but its not up to the Eels to finance their f**k ups

Chipmunk

Coach
I think it's a good idea for the club to play hard ball. But in reality, where are they going to play otherwise? They've also indicated that the terms at ANZ aren't acceptable.

What would the club do if the Government says "These are the terms, take it or leave it."? Which is fairly likely considering they also own the only other suitable facility.

Last edited:
I read this headline and spit out my Skippy corn flakes.

Also it is Venues Live not Venue NSW. Venues Live run ANZ Stadium and Optus Stadium in Perth.

I just wonder how we got into this bad deal. I mean the deal was previously, we get $200,000 per game for us to play at ANZ, plus all our ST venue, plus profit sharing from the stadium from games over 25K in attendance. How do you manage to lose money on that deal?

Also wasn't it Fitzy who said the club lost money on Game nights vs the same nights without a NRL game on ? I thought the forum came to the conclusion that what Fitzy was saying was BS to cover his arse.

Pilot house

Juniors
This should have been sorted out ages ago.

$10 for a plain hamburger and a $7 can of coke.

No way Gladys.

As a licenced club member I will ask our management to set up stalls on the footpath at $4 a burger and $1.20 a can.

Profit through quantity.

eels81236

Bench
If WSS is a bad deal and ANZ is a bad deal then what are the other options? What if it becomes a take it or leave it deal? Unlikely but certainly possible

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I doubt it will have no tenants, I'd say if we got together with WSS and laid out a plan we hold all the cards

they cant have no tenants

parramaniac2516

Juniors
Imagine the backlash from not just eels fans but the public if the government has this brand new tax payers funded built stadium and no one using it.

I'd say a deal will be met somewhere in the middle.

hindy111

Post Whore
I mentioned at semi final a chocolate bar was $5.50 and water was about same.
Was daylight robbery.

hindy111

Post Whore
PARRAMATTA will explore hosting games at Penrith, Campbelltown, North Sydney or the Central Coast as an incomprehensible last resort to avoid remaining homeless next year.

PARRAMATTA have sensationally rejected a deal to play their home games in 2019 at the brand new $300 million Western Sydney Stadium — casting doubt over the Eels’ schedule and the future of the venue.

Eels chief executive Bernie Gurr has declared that the club is refusing to sign off on a commercial deal, which he has described as “unacceptable”, with VenuesLive — the operator of the stadium which is under construction on the site of the former Pirtek Stadium at Parramatta.

Gurr claims six months of negotiations with Venues Live have broken down due to the club refusing to accept a contract which would have adverse implications for the club financially, while also severely compromising food and beverage and ticket prices.

The stalemate will result in the NRL being forced to mark “TBC” — to be confirmed — for all of the Eels’ home game venues when the 2019 draw is released next week.

In a letter sent to Eels members on Tuesday, Gurr wrote: “Over the past six months the Board and Management of the Club have been involved in detailed negotiations regarding a commercial agreement for our Parramatta Eels Club at the WSS.

As it stands today, the Club has been offered commercial terms by the stadium operator that are not acceptable to the Board of the Parramatta Eels Club or the Parramatta Leagues Club.

“Therefore, when then NRL draw is released in the near future, the venue for the Club’s home games in 2019 will be marked as “TBC” (to be confirmed).

“Our view that the current proposal is unacceptable has been confirmed after an extensive six-month due diligence process conducted by myself and other members of the management team.

“The due diligence process has included the engagement of a reputable consulting firm.

“Together we have benchmarked the commercial terms of the current offer against offerings currently being received by NRL and other sports at a range of stadiums across multiple states of Australia.

“The current proposal if accepted would adversely affect the ability of our Club to invest in our Football Department including our NRL team and our junior elite football programs.

The current agreement at ANZ has adversely impacted the Club financially and we are not prepared to accept a new agreement that will continue to impact the Club negatively for the next 25 years.

“The Club will also not compromise on key areas that are important to our Members and supporters such as:

* Affordable food and beverage pricing and options

* A clear public transport plan for WSS to enable Members to attend games smoothly.

* Reasonable event costs to ensure affordable pricing for Members and causal ticket holders.

* Expanded opportunities for our Corporate partners to help drive revenue for the Club.

* Better technology to enhance Game Day experience.

“In the interests of arriving at a fair and reasonable deal, we are continuing our discussions with the stadium operator in an attempt to resolve this matter quickly so that our Members and supporters have a clear understanding of the WSS schedule for 2019.’’

The Eels had been told to prepare to host their first home game against the Wests Tigers at Western Sydney Stadium on Easter Monday in round six.

However, all planning has been put on hold to resolve the current contract wrangle.

Delboy

First Grade
If the govt try the line that someone has to pay for it , we should remind them that they sold off the poles and wires with the very intention of building the stadiums for the benefit of the people.

That was the trade off for selling the asset, they must believe no one ever listens to them. They are basically a bunch of self serving nonentities, both sides are the same. At least we are getting something built and the road to Qld is just about finished, rather than announced every year by Bob Carr and his mates. That's no excuse for ripping off the western suburbs again, can't imagine Uncle Nick and the toffs in the city will have to pay stupid rentals,they would terrorise Toddy Boy and the govt into submission.

84 Baby

Referee
Oh f**k imagine that. Hindy111 wpuld become the biggest pain in arse. Lets hope it doesn't happen.
Become?
It’d be the next closest appropriate stadium. Either that or Belmore.
I’m certain there will be an agreement reached after we’ve publicly called them out on their price gouging

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Foxsports were reporting the stadium is worth 3 billion, my god there are some f**kwits in the media

Latest posts