What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parramatta Stadium Rebuild and other stuff

TheParraboy

Staff member
A 2020 SCG grand final will be rubbish for some, however will be poetic for us winning our 5th premiership, all at the SCG.

I will be sitting in Neville Glover corner as I did for the first 4.

Mitchell Moses Clive Churchill medal winner.

My first memory of footy there was at our 1981 semi final loss to the Roosters.

Our PE teacher was a footy and cricket nutter (we went to a few Shield games, he took us to a NSW v West Indies match once too , which was bloody awesome so much memories from that match alone)

He was also my first league coach in high school, he ended up having an affair with a female student and later married her. Over the years I’d see him at the SGC at the pink test....I digress

That Roosters semi, we sat in the Sheridan stand. Miles away from the action. I remember thinking at the time how huge the roosters looked compared to us across the paddock. Noel Cleal v Ella in the centres for example. We were a small side, small forwards. In any case we never looked like winning that match and ended up losing convincingly. Roosters were the favourites to win the comp, but didn’t even make the big dance

Sorry to take this off topic but love the SCG

Our PE teacher was a footy and cricket nutter (we went to a few Shield games, he took us to a NSW v West Indies match once too , which was bloody awesome so much memories from that match alone)

He was also my first league coach in high school, he ended up having an affair with a female student and later married her. Over the years I’d see him at the SGC at the pink test....I digress

That Roosters semi, we sat in the Sheridan stand. Miles away from the action. I remember thinking at the time how huge the roosters looked compared to us across the paddock. Noel Cleal v Ella in the centres for example. We were a small side, small forwards. In any case we never looked like winning that match and ended up losing convincingly. Roosters were the favourites to win the comp, but didn’t even make the big dance

Parra won that game 12-8

https://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/...mi/parramatta-vs-eastern-suburbs/summary.html

TheParraboy

Staff member

right you are

it was the R21 round match we went to at the SCG, we got thumped 20-6. Thought we were no chance after this to take the title, they beat us earlier in the year as well. Funnily enough more people turned up to this match than the major semi final - weird, maybe bunch of us schoolkids played it part?

https://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/seasons/nswrfl-1981/parramatta/summary.html

Last round R22 was the famous 20-20 draw with Manly last game at Cumberland Oval before it burnt down

right you are

it was the R21 round match we went to at the SCG, we got thumped 20-6. Thought we were no chance after this to take the title, they beat us earlier in the year as well. Funnily enough more people turned up to this match than the major semi final - weird, maybe bunch of us schoolkids played it part?

https://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/seasons/nswrfl-1981/parramatta/summary.html

Last round R22 was the famous 20-20 draw with Manly last game at Cumberland Oval before it burnt down

Yeah I was there round 21 Brett Kenny was outstanding that day in a flogging. Scored two tries, made numerous breaks, and I remember him running Kerry Boustead down from behind to save one
Anybody got this game on tape?

Gronk

Staff member
On the abc yesterday they had a piece on Carlingford Produce. Amazingly it’s still open for business after reinventing itself over the years away from it’s roots as support for the rural sector, providing livestock feed etc.

Streets were my mates used to live now have towers built upon them, casting shadows over the old tin sheds. The CP website says that it was built around an old grain mill and it still has the old machinery on site.

The building is now heritage listed and I hope that it becomes a micro brewery or similar so that it survives another 100 years.

IIRC the Carlingford line will be replace with the Parra light rail (stage 2 or 3) sometime in the future.

http://www.carlingfordproduce.com.au/

https://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/heritageapp/ViewHeritageItemDetails.aspx?ID=4807643

CAD1C252-AA93-4746-8069-9B72D77F7280.jpeg

DEEC5C69-4C24-4E0A-AD71-FD9C4DAD0830.jpeg

EF946928-E1EE-4D2D-8C7B-069DB9F82E92.jpeg

emjaycee

Coach

We had a student teacher for PE during half of 1981. Mr. John Muggleton.

Yes, because it is a simple system to remove and re-install seats.
I'm not knocking you or that code but I'm going to make a prediction that if those rails are too easy to take out, they will end up on the field at some point. Maybe just damaged where they are. I think the "passion" of the WSW supporters who want to be there will overcome them at some point in time. I foresee them eventually being removed for good.

DaveMc

Juniors
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...pZoWgdP-Mf6p-s
Parramatta will host its biggest concert in three decades when iconic entertainer Sir Elton John becomes the first musical act at the new $360 million Bankwest Stadium early next year.
Sydney’s second biggest city hasn’t seen a performer of John’s calibre since former King of Pop Michael Jackson brought his “Bad” world tour to the former Parramatta Stadium on November 20, 1987.
Bit rough on Paul McCartney

84 Baby

Referee
Words fail me.
Why? Because past evidence is so strongly against Stoppa, or that they aren’t so easy to remove thus contradicting yourself? Or do you think good behaviour will be enforced AFL style on the fans, and that RBB will quietly accept that?
I think it’s a bit harsh on Stoppa to just label it upon RBB, there’d certainly be fans of other teams who would also do it. It doesn’t bother me that they are installed, I just hope the cost of installing/removing, however “simple”, is charged to those using the rails rather than the sitters. And again I’m sure the RBB won’t mind be charged more for it...

Suitman

Post Whore
Why? Because past evidence is so strongly against Stoppa, or that they aren’t so easy to remove thus contradicting yourself? Or do you think good behaviour will be enforced AFL style on the fans, and that RBB will quietly accept that?

I was commenting on Stoppa's claim that these rails will end up on the field or be damaged. Absolutely ridiculous claim. I'll do a HJ and buy 16 people beers if that ever happens.

I think it’s a bit harsh on Stoppa to just label it upon RBB, there’d certainly be fans of other teams who would also do it.

So, people are going to get pneumatic or impact type drills with the correct fittings into the stadium and undo rows of bolts to disengage these rails? Mmmm, ok then.

It doesn’t bother me that they are installed, I just hope the cost of installing/removing, however “simple”, is charged to those using the rails rather than the sitters. And again I’m sure the RBB won’t mind be charged more for it...

The Wanderers were the club that pushed for safe standing. I have no doubt, (although I have no evidence) that they would have agreed to pay for the cost of the installation of the rails at end the end of each NRL season. Besides this Leeds United game, and any other "one off game" they play during an NRL season, they will generally only have to pay for it once every year. It wouldn't be that great a cost. I'm sure they thought it was worth it.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
The rails are fine. Its a multi-use stadium and should be able to accommodate another major tennant. It's what happens in countless other stadiums throughout the world.

I predict they won't be removed or strewn all over the ground.

Latest posts