What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parramatta Stadium Rebuild and other stuff

Suitman

Post Whore
Makes me cranky that the National Trust object to the development because it would be viewed from the front steps of Old Government House. What about the towers to the east FFS ! :joy::rage:

View attachment 32222

You are exactly right.
This is just another example of a bunch of old farts that are still dirty that Parramatta Leagues Club still stands on Parramatta Park Trust lands.
It is ridiculous that a development can possibly be rejected because it can be sighted from an historical building.
If this was proposed for the vacant site across the road from the stadium on the corner of O'Connell st and Victoria rd (adjacent to the cathedral and across the rd from Our Lady of Mercy College - another beautiful old building), the National Trust and the Parramatta Park Trust wouldn't get a say.
That site has been taken over by the NSW State Govt as a construction compound for the Parramatta Light rail and no doubt will be developed upon completion of the Light Rail.
The fact that the hotel is on Park Trust lands gives them a say.

This hotel proposal will look less obtrusive from Old Govt House than the 176 meter tall Meriton Apartments that are also visible from the old building. Not to mention the 5+ x 200 metre tall towers that are currently under construction or will be erected in Parra in the next 3 years. Word has it that 2 x 80 story towers are just about to be announced as part of the Powerhouse Museum relocation - both about 240 metres tall. All of these are far more visible from Old Govt House than the Eels hotel would be.

As for the bats (flying foxes), FFS!!! They survived the construction of the stadium, and are thriving. I drove through the Park dozens of times to view the construction of the stadium, and every time I drove past, there they were in all their happy glory, where they have been for decades. If anything the colony has grown larger throughout the years and is now at it's healthiest it has ever been.

The town planners/council/state govt really need to tell these people to f**k off. Nicely.

This the same as the Friends of Parramatta Pool, all 80 of them who objected to its removal for the stadium construction. They are going to get a better pool than they ever had in a few years, and the whole community will be better for it. Nothing of the rest of Parramatta Park is being touched. The land that the hotel will be built on is a car park at the moment under the control of the leagues club.

Anyway, I'd love these people to explain to me why the 19 story (about 70 metres tall) hotel at the leagues club, is more detrimental to the view from the front steps of Old Govt House, then these developments either complete, under construction, or proposed.

7d28b009eb169397ac1709736a7fd304

This one is right beside the Lennox Bridge....

38538693766_4628b4cb53_o.jpg

As are these two (completed)......

Last edited:

Burns

First Grade
So is there fake audience noise played at the ground? Whenever there were tries scored last night, on the broadcast at least some of the crowd noise sounded very off. Is that a thing, or just my hearing?

Gronk

Staff member
So is there fake audience noise played at the ground? Whenever there were tries scored last night, on the broadcast at least some of the crowd noise sounded very off. Is that a thing, or just my hearing?
The cheering for the Dogs was definitely fake.

strider

Post Whore
Only time i think there is something a bit fake is when they try to start the parra chant over the PA.

Good crowd for a thursday game, 18k

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Maybe they should play basket ball at Bankwest instead of Docklands in Melbourne

Suitman

Post Whore
Very nice ... i particularly like the way there is some standing around the top of the concourse level.

Walked up the stairs to the top pre game ... had to have a rest lol ... glad theres a rail coming back down. Would hate to have a seat way back up there

Yeh, that top level is seriously steep. Views are amazing though.
My Wanderers season tickets are in the back row on the eastern side. I'm going to get plenty of exercise during the summer!
Shame we couldn't catch up again last night.

Gronk

Staff member
I don’t know the area, but I suspect that objections would be fewer if the DA was for a christian denomination. :thinking:

Happy MEel

First Grade
I’m here at BankWest watching a non-league game (Shute Shield GF). It’s empty as f**k but the lower eastern terrace is crazy. The atmosphere with a few thousand people on this side is f**king awesome.

#gotherats
#anyonebutuni

Latest posts