What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parramatta Stadium Rebuild and other stuff

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
last article I read was that they were building over the top of it and it would remain as is

Gronk

Staff member
last article I read was that they were building over the top of it and it would remain as is
No, that cantilevered design was rejected in Land & Environment Court.

https://www.roxytheatreactiongroup.com/nat-trust-award.html

ROXY THEATRE ACTION GROUP WINS NATIONAL TRUST AWARD
12th November 2020

The Roxy Theatre Action Group has won the Advocacy Award in the 2020 National Trust Awards Ceremony held online today.

In announcing the Award, presenter Fenella Kernebone said:-

“The group’s efforts to save this important Spanish Mission-style theatre have been vindicated by recent planning decisions, and its work to date has gone a long way towards ensuring that this important piece of Parramatta’s built heritage can be saved for future generations”.

In accepting this award, spokesperson Cheryl Bates said:-

“The Roxy is unique to Australia as a theatre building and is subject to five major heritage listings, making it a unique, important and irreplaceable heritage building, not only for Parramatta, but to the nation. The Roxy Theatre Action Group was formed with the goal to save the Roxy from over-development and for it to be restored with full stage facilities.

By 2018 the owner had sought to part-demolish and erect a 33 storey office tower cantilevered over the Roxy. This development was rejected by the Council, the Heritage Council and the Regional Planning Panel, and a subsequent appeal to the Land and Environment Court was rejected on heritage grounds.

The Roxy remains unoccupied in private ownership, but the Group continues to make representations to Government to acquire this iconic theatre and return it as a world-class venue.”

Suitman

Post Whore
@Suitman did you catch Big Weather on the ABC the other night ?

https://iview.abc.net.au/show/big-weather-and-how-to-survive-it

They showed modelling which detailed flood levels for Parramatta river in extreme events. Astonishing that Eat Street will be under water in a worst case scenario.

No mate I didn't. I have it on series link but I haven't had a chance to watch it yet.
I'm not sure whether Parramatta has ever flooded that badly to get that high, but the way things are going, I certainly wouldn't discount it.
Here are some pics from a pretty bad flood in 2016 while the Meriton building was under construction.

27220748160_714f277e22_b.jpg

27425895681_bc5e3df858_b.jpg

Here is one taken from the Meriton building of the construction of The Landmark across the road, last February, during another major flood. Neither of those two bridges have ever gone under afaik.

EQUEnL5UYAAok42

The Lennox Bridge in the pic below is basically Eat Street level. It would need to be a next level flood to reach that height. The problem I see is that the actual design of the Lennox bridge (with so much sandstone could actually act as a dam of sorts. Which in turn, could hold water back and enable it to rise to Eat Street levels. I certainly wouldn't rule out that possibility in the future.

49625656656_56bbbb6a15_b.jpg

Anyway, I look forward to watching that episode of Big Weather.

Suitman

Post Whore
Anyway, here's a few pics I took in Parramatta the other day.

6-8 Parramatta Square. Another 100 in height meters to go.

20210118_105817-jpg.978931

The Lennox.

20210118_102909-jpg.978943

Meritons next creation - one tower at 213 mtrs and the 2nd at 189.

20210118_104331-jpg.978947

The atrium inside the new NAB building in Parramatta Square. Stunning.

20210118_105526-jpg.992988

Last edited:

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Re: The Flood issue - It would have to be an enormous event. 1 in 100 yr only poses a medium risk to Eat St.

Source: City of Parramatta Flood Warning Areas

5EA4211F-6CB0-448F-9C99-068AB63F4BD1.jpeg 821A2325-1587-49EF-94F2-A32BBE36FFA3.jpeg

strider

Post Whore
FFS Gary you cropped the yellow definition ... now none of us know

This pic suity posted above would have to be a pretty decent flood. The bridge near the stadium is close to the water level.

EQUEnL5UYAAok42

Suitman

Post Whore
FFS Gary you cropped the yellow definition ... now none of us know

This pic suity posted above would have to be a pretty decent flood. The bridge near the stadium is close to the water level.

EQUEnL5UYAAok42

As you will see from Gary's pic, the bridge is in the low risk area. Part of Eat Street appears to be somewhere between major and minor, which is probably where Craig Reucastle got his info from I'm guessing. I'm guessing the dam that the Lennox bridge creates is the issue. Those other two bridges do not create that problem.

Gronk

Staff member
Catastrophic?
What is the Probable Maximum Flood?
The Probable Maximum Flood (PMF) combines a range of extreme conditions and probabilities to calculate the largest flood that could possibly occur within a catchment. It is extremely rare and is calculated to aid in the design of critical facilities such as hospitals, nursing homes, schools and emergency service facilities.

The ^^ ABC show went to Dorrigo and talked about their 1:1000 year flood. Probably a PMF.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
The Probable Maximum Flood (PMF) combines a range of extreme conditions and probabilities to calculate the largest flood that could possibly occur within a catchment. It is extremely rare and is calculated to aid in the design of critical facilities such as hospitals, nursing homes, schools and emergency service facilities.

The ^^ ABC show went to Dorigo and talked about their 1:1000 year flood. Probably a PMF.
That’s Noah’s ark shit. Pretty sure that houses are required to have the habitable floor at 1:100 + 300mm. Other infrastructure can probably be designed to even lower standards.

Suitman

Post Whore

The ^^ ABC show went to Dorigo and talked about their 1:1000 year flood. Probably a PMF.

Cheers. Shop owners in Parramatta shouldn't worry. If it happens, it happens. It won't happen often, if ever.
Places like Dorrigo, or indeed certain other areas along the NSW and QLD coast, like Robertson (NSW) or Tulley in QLD) can have extraordinary rainfall rates for long periods of time, due to local topography, which can cause amazing rainfall. There are many places along the Oz East coast that suffer from this phenomenon. It's mainly along the areas where the GDR is closer to the coast.

Suitman

Post Whore
Anyway, how about those construction photos?

The street activation below these new buildings in Parra just keeps getting better. So many new foodie options opening up. That's worth a trip to Parra on its own.

Gronk

Staff member
Cheers. Shop owners in Parramatta shouldn't worry. If it happens, it happens. It won't happen often, if ever.
Places like Dorrigo, or indeed certain other areas along the NSW and QLD coast, like Robertson (NSW) or Tulley in QLD) can have extraordinary rainfall rates for long periods of time, due to local topography, which can cause amazing rainfall. There are many places along the Oz East coast that suffer from this phenomenon. It's mainly along the areas where the GDR is closer to the coast.
Yes a lady on the show said that if Church St goes under, it won’t hang around like it would on a flood plain.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Anyway, how about those construction photos?

The street activation below these new buildings in Parra just keeps getting better. So many new foodie options opening up. That's worth a trip to Parra on its own.
I like that there’s plenty of variation in design. Sometimes when there is rapid construction it can all look a bit ‘cookie cutter’. It’s one of my criticisms of Brisbane.

Latest posts