What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parramatta Stadium Rebuild and other stuff

Suitman

Post Whore
I like that there’s plenty of variation in design. Sometimes when there is rapid construction it can all look a bit ‘cookie cutter’. It’s one of my criticisms of Brisbane.

Mate, I actually think Brisbane is doing ok atm. Plenty of development going on with great street activation. It has improved immensely in the past 10 years and moved on from its "big country town feel", that I first felt when I started going up there for Eels games in the 90's.

Gronk

Staff member
Mate, I actually think Brisbane is doing ok atm. Plenty of development going on with great street activation. It has improved immensely in the past 10 years and moved on from its "big country town feel", that I first felt when I started going up there for Eels games in the 90's.
Saw this the other day.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Agreed. Some interesting stuff of late. Cross River Rail and the 'Brisbane Live' concept at Roma Street will all be good developments. Queens Wharf will be amazing. That was always an ugly part of the CBD.

I'm mainly thinking of some of the buildings from 10-15 years ago. Festival Towers, Charlotte Towers, Felix Towers were all cheap and nasty. Owned a unit Festival Towers and was very lucky to sell it for more than we paid. It was falling apart after only a few years.

P.S. They should never have knocked down Festival Hall.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
yes I know its a theoretical evet that engineers allow for, it just make a mockery out of the term 1: 100 years when we keep getting them
Or a sign that our climate has changed and we are now subject to more intense rainfall events. They never used to be this common.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Or a sign that our climate has changed and we are now subject to more intense rainfall events. They never used to be this common.

true

when we get asked to design to 1:100 year event for storm water drainage there is not statistical data for us to work from, only theoretical data which can be open to interpretation

Suitman

Post Whore
cool but get on with it.
It is going to be a pretty good city.

They are getting on with it!
Large sections of track have already been laid in the city. It's moving along nicely.
Agree with your 2nd sentence.

screen-shot-2021-01-19-at-8-26-22-am-png.981492

screen-shot-2021-01-19-at-8-26-41-am-png.981493

screen-shot-2021-01-19-at-8-27-16-am-png.981494

Suitman

Post Whore
Also, the pedestrian-isation of George st in the city has been a massive success. It used to be a polluted, congested shit fight, with diesel fumed exhaling buses and constant gridlock, narrow footpaths and little greenery.

3bTsF7.jpg

nEoZ51.jpg

Now, it has become this.....

img_0590-jpg.978980

0a66a8a1-b026-49cf-b881-26862dfb5490-jpeg.993648

b0197ba4-6e9c-4273-8c2e-69d14a2d42b4-jpeg.993667

It has been so successful, it is going to be extended another 1.2 km's down towards the Central Station precinct.
If Church street turns out the same, it will be a game changer for Parra. And it will.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I remember some 20 years ago when I read that Parramatta will soon be the 4th largest city in Australia, and I thought tell him he's dreamin'

Whom ever wrote it wasn't far out.

Suitman

Post Whore
I remember some 20 years ago when I read that Parramatta will soon be the 4th largest city in Australia, and I thought tell him he's dreamin'

Whom ever wrote it wasn't far out.

Western Sydney, with Parramatta at its heart, will become Australia's 3rd largest economy, if it isn't already.
This is why the infrastructure being built is so important. Once the Metro is built from the city, it will be a city on it's own.
The large car park next to the Meriton apartment you stayed at in 2019 is closing soon in preparation for the construction of the new Powerhouse museum. Another amazing addition to the city.