What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parramatta Stadium Rebuild and other stuff

TheRam

Coach
Not convinced the game is sustainable enough for a 17th team, let alone an 18th one.

We've been down this path before and failed miserably. Hopefully we've learnt from previous mistakes.

Oh but the AFL can and even needs way more players then the NRL does.

Yeah sure, your argument holds water.

TheRam

Coach
If you offer them an NRL franchise just to get a footy stadium then you would actually have to give them an NRL franchise. Which isn’t what anybody wants.

Perth, Wellington and even another QLD team are more likely to get a franchise than South Australia.

Really. Like you can speak for everyone? And if you are referring to the networks. Tough!

We need to grow our game the way we see fit and what works for us. If the SA Gov build us a once in a lifetime indoor city Stadium that would guarantee success, then we give them a team and watch it thrive. The networks would not complain if the stadium was near capacity every game and the atmosphere was electric. Hell that is exactly what they want and have been whinging about the lack of atmosphere at many NRL games due to the wrong type of ground.

I doubt they would be protesting much at all and would be right behind the decision once they saw why the NRL have committed to it and the quality and location of the stadium.

Same thing should happen when the Christchurch indoor city stadium is up and running too. The NRL should add a team there immediately once it is completed. Stuff this go slow crap that the NRL keep doing while our enemy has spread all over the Nation and is growing and thriving. Look at the AFLW, absolute garbage but it has blown the NRLW out of the water. They see locations on a map and bang, teams are there. We see fear.

T.S Quint

Coach
There are better, more viable places to put an 18th team than in South Australia. Promising them a team just so they will put a footy stadium in Adelaide and try to get one over the AFL is petty and silly. The argument that “well the AFL does it so why don’t we?” seems short-sighted and does t take into account many factors of which I am sure we are not privy to.

Gronk

Staff member
what's the thing next to it - buildings at each end and turf on both side and more next to it - centre of excellence perhaps
The buildings are existing. On Moore Park Rd, UTS have a sports medicine building, which also houses ARU HQ. On Driver Ave the NRL have their HQ.

Roosters CofE is within the new stadium bowels. This was announced last month or so. Both the Roosters and Swans train across the road in Moore Park.

TheRam

Coach
Agreed. We should belligerently follow everything that the AFL does. Thats all that counts.

No, only the stuff that works mate. BTW, what a myopic dumb thing to say from someone like you.

When we were like them, we were that good and popular that Rupert tried to own us totally. He kind of has ever since and we have never really woken up since to completely break free and do our thing.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
No, only the stuff that works mate. BTW, what a myopic dumb thing to say from someone like you.

When we were like them, we were that good and popular that Rupert tried to own us totally. He kind of has ever since and we have never really woken up since to completely break free and do our thing.
You're obsessed with the AFL. We’ve never been like them and never will be. I say that’s a good thing.

T.S Quint

Coach
You're obsessed with the AFL. We’ve never been like them and never will be. I say that’s a good thing.

I dare say it’s about time League fans realised that we will most likely never be the number one football code in the country. We won’t have more money than AFL, more fans at games, more memberships. It’s just the way it is.
We can however be second best which is still pretty f**king good. I don’t see the NHL complaining that they aren’t as popular as the NFL, NBA or MLB.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
I dare say it’s about time League fans realised that we will most likely never be the number one football code in the country. We won’t have more money than AFL, more fans at games, more memberships. It’s just the way it is.
We can however be second best which is still pretty f**king good. I don’t see the NHL complaining that they aren’t as popular as the NFL, NBA or MLB.
We are already the number one code in my books. AFL sucks balls.

strider

Post Whore
its not even about #1 or #2 .... what is the measure of #1 anyway? ...... just recognise they all have their place and pros/cons - and be the best your own code can be ..... recognise good things other codes do and use em if appropriate - or do things that suit your own code better ....... sure there is competition for money in all sorts of ways, but I don't see a point in putting some order on it

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member

They have had better administration than the NRL for ages

Vlad (Demetriou) ran the AFL like he was a dictator, hence the nic name. Any negative articles from the media and that journo was locked out of any official media releases or media conferences, till they toed the line.

Limited News feasts on the NRL like the parasites they are and you don't see too much negative press on the AFL unless it's from Sydney or Brisbane media.

TheRam

Coach

No I am obsessed with success. We have gotten many good ideas from them and other sports before. We need to grow the game. Holding onto this slowly, slowly approach to almost everything bar rule changes, is leaving us behind.

We need to grow the game outside of the current foot print like freakin yesterday. The AFL has never feared going into non traditional markets and they have benefited massively from that approach. We have stagnated. But lets not copy a successful strategy. Our myopic stance is working just fine. The kiddies will never take to AFL, so why worry.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
No I am obsessed with success. We have gotten many good ideas from them and other sports before. We need to grow the game. Holding onto this slowly, slowly approach to almost everything bar rule changes, is leaving us behind.

We need to grow the game outside of the current foot print like freakin yesterday. The AFL has never feared going into non traditional markets and they have benefited massively from that approach. We have stagnated. But lets not copy a successful strategy. Our myopic stance is working just fine. The kiddies will never take to AFL, so why worry.
I’d be targeting the pacific islands before f**ken Adelaide. You lost me with that one.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
They have had better administration than the NRL for ages

Vlad (Demetriou) ran the AFL like he was a dictator, hence the nic name. Any negative articles from the media and that journo was locked out of any official media releases or media conferences, till they toed the line.

Limited News feasts on the NRL like the parasites they are and you don't see too much negative press on the AFL unless it's from Sydney or Brisbane media.
Since when did a Dictatorship that silences critics become evidence of good management?

I suppose you think China is a well run country as well?

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Since when did a Dictatorship that silences critics become evidence of good management?

Would you prefer the daily feasting on the NRL from the likes of the Sloth and Co ?

The AFL is much better run and far more financially viable than the NRL who really do not put back into the game like the AFL do, they are loaded.

I lived in Victoria for ages, they are like chalk and cheese imo

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member

Not a good analogy, Chinese are very poor, AFL plough money back into the game at all levels and their facilities at all levels are much better than the NRL in my experience.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Would you prefer the daily feasting on the NRL from the likes of the Sloth and Co ?

The AFL is much better run and far more financially viable than the NRL who really do not put back into the game like the AFL do, they are loaded.

I lived in Victoria for ages, they are like chalk and cheese imo
I'm married to a Victorian and have spent a lot of time there. I don't like the way the do things at all and don't consider them to be something we should aspire to.

You lauded their ability to stifle free speech. I find that appalling.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Not a good analogy, Chinese are very poor, AFL plough money back into the game at all levels and their facilities at all levels are much better than the NRL in my experience.
Twiz, I love you like the great grandfather I never had. However, I think for your own credibility you need to graciously exit at this point. Referring to the Chinese economy as poor shows a distinct lack of awareness.

Suitman

Post Whore
Not a good analogy, Chinese are very poor,
Lol.
Over 20000 km's of high speed rail has been built in about 15 years. Another 10000 km's to be built within the next 5.
We can't even build 1 km.
And I haven't even mentioned roads, bridges and other infrastructure.

Latest posts