What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parramatta Stadium Rebuild and other stuff

Suitman

Post Whore
The Albion survives and moves closer to the city centre. Not a bad outcome tbh.

Albion Hotel relocating to Smith St Parramatta
nov 4
It has been the favoured haunt for a tipple among Parramatta’s corporates, clubbers, footy players and journalists for decades but
The Albion Hotel’s exit from George St is becoming a reality, with plans now emerging for its new home.

A development application for the pub to relocate to 20 Smith St in the CBD has been lodged with Parramatta Council and reveals plans to convert the first two floors of the eight-storey office tower into a bar, dining lounge and nightclub.

The Albion owner, Solotel Group, plans to run a “contemporary urban venue” for 1550 patrons 24 hours Monday to Saturday and 5am to midnight on Sunday.

“The proposed Albion relocation offers, to the Parramatta CBD, an all-day and late-night and multi-offer venue,’’ the plans state in council documents.

Discussions about the pub’s departure from George St remain ongoing and a closure date has not been set despite a
development application for its demolition submitted to the council in January.

The original Albion Hotel opened in 1882 but it was demolished and rebuilt in 1924, and the Solomon family acquired the pub in 1986.

link to story

the phantom menace

First Grade

"The state government expects it to take until 2031 before the second stage of Parramatta’s multibillion-dollar light rail line opens to passengers, about five years later than originally planned.

An environmental assessment of the project also shows that construction of two bridges over Parramatta River for the light rail line will disrupt ferry services for months due to temporary closures of navigational channels. Hundreds of on-street car parks in fast-growing suburbs will also be permanently removed.

While the project is still subject to planning approval, the report by Transport for NSW reveals the agency anticipates construction to start in 2025 and take as long as six years to complete. The bridges will each take three years to build.

When the proposed route of the second stage was unveiled in 2017, the government said it was hopeful construction would start before 2020."

1667975479112.png

Suitman

Post Whore
Another negative article from the SMH regarding more infrastructure rebuild in the west by the current Libs.
Chris Minns has promised more infrastructure build for the west yet hasn't stated how it will be funded or where it will be spent or on what projects.
What a surprise article.

Gronk

Staff member
I think that the stage 2 part of the eels light rail will be very expensive and ultimately an underused white elephant. Now there will be a metro station at Olympic park so why do we need a light rail link to tht precinct at all ? To service those suburbs along the banks of the Parra river ? I wonder what the patronage will be and if the business case can justify the huge cost ?

Suitman

Post Whore
I think that the stage 2 part of the eels light rail will be very expensive and ultimately an underused white elephant. Now there will be a metro station at Olympic park so why do we need a light rail link to tht precinct at all ? To service those suburbs along the banks of the Parra river ? I wonder what the patronage will be and if the business case can justify the huge cost ?

You make a fair point @Gronk

I too have wondered why we need this extension of the Parra Light Rail considering we have the City - Parramatta Metro already under construction.
I'm guessing that this light rail will instigate further development along the river from Rydalmere to West Ryde through Melrose Park /Meadowbank.
South St/Boronia st is a wasteland atm. No doubt, the area will be re-classified to medium/high density housing which will eventually revitalize the area from industrial slum to riverside living. A bit like around the ferry terminal at Meadowbank.

I've seen it happening around the NW Metro stations. The amount of development around Showground station atm (near me) is incredible. Sydney cannot keep sprawling. We have to consolidate existing areas, and this is a very unusual example of getting it right. Provide the infrastructure first and develop afterwards.

Sydney does not always get it right though. North Kellyville is the perfect example. Thousands of houses going in, yet the local roads are more than a disgrace. They are diabolical.

Suitman

Post Whore
Big Jay Dogs latest video.
His latest extended November version that covers just about every project in Parra.

- 8 Philip Street is starting to rise after 12 months of excavation.
- Aquatic center is looking spectacular.
- Parramatta Square almost complete.
- Light Rail progressing nicely. Church st looks amazing being traffic free.
- Nice views of the newly re-built Arthur Phillip High School and the horse-shoe shaped Parramatta Public school. Who says the current Libs don't spend money on education? (My local Samuel Gilbert Primary School has also had a massive rebuild).
- The Parramatta Metro station site is huge with 4 OSD's coming. This will be a bigger game changer for Parramatta than Parramatta Square itself. Massive investment from the state govt.
- The new riverside museum is seriously going along at a cracking pace. Cannot wait for its completion and what it brings for tourism to Parra.
- The new investment at the Parra Wharf precinct.
- So many other projects in the pipeline. Either projected, approved, or currently under construction.

Parramatta is coming of age. Growing some class. A nice mix of residential and commercial investment, as well as incredible transport, sporting, educational and medical infrastructure.
If only we could get City Extra back.

Enjoy.

the phantom menace

First Grade
Any news on that? I think the one at the Quay is still going strong, so it might be possible they want to get back into the Parramatta action, maybe somewhere near that museum when it goes up?

I do like how they serve their chips wrapped in those old newpaper copies...

Gronk

Staff member
Any news on that? I think the one at the Quay is still going strong, so it might be possible they want to get back into the Parramatta action, maybe somewhere near that museum when it goes up?

I do like how they serve their chips wrapped in those old newpaper copies...
A newspaper ? Daddy, what’s that ?

Gronk

Staff member
Big Jay Dogs latest video.
His latest extended November version that covers just about every project in Parra.

- 8 Philip Street is starting to rise after 12 months of excavation.
- Aquatic center is looking spectacular.
- Parramatta Square almost complete.
- Light Rail progressing nicely. Church st looks amazing being traffic free.
- Nice views of the newly re-built Arthur Phillip High School and the horse-shoe shaped Parramatta Public school. Who says the current Libs don't spend money on education? (My local Samuel Gilbert Primary School has also had a massive rebuild).
- The Parramatta Metro station site is huge with 4 OSD's coming. This will be a bigger game changer for Parramatta than Parramatta Square itself. Massive investment from the state govt.
- The new riverside museum is seriously going along at a cracking pace. Cannot wait for its completion and what it brings for tourism to Parra.
- The new investment at the Parra Wharf precinct.
- So many other projects in the pipeline. Either projected, approved, or currently under construction.

Parramatta is coming of age. Growing some class. A nice mix of residential and commercial investment, as well as incredible transport, sporting, educational and medical infrastructure.

Enjoy.
Love the Jay Dog.

I think that the Phive is an iconic building that deserves better. Indeed both the Phive and it’s neighbour to the north seemingly are designed to capture light, but are dwarfed / blocked by a boring glass tower. So whilst I fully appreciate the design of Phive, it’s a shame that planning did not use it as a focal point.
7CB048F3-5AE0-41CB-AB27-C97563DCBCB0.jpeg

02E7F57B-9A4C-4A6F-BFDE-4EE8FD9C4539.png

Edit: ok I get it now. The design of these two buildings was not passive solar, it was to capture the northern sun into the plaza.

Last edited:

the phantom menace

First Grade
My spiritual advisor resisted taking the bait on the previous five or so occasions that reference has been made... but sent a message to me that given it's the off-season, it would be ok to make the enquiry.

the phantom menace

First Grade
View attachment 68423

Edit: ok I get it now. The design of these two buildings was not passive solar, it was to capture the northern sun into the plaza.
I really like the Phive building. They're still doing bits and pieces inside and it's not fully finished, but is open - with an exhibition on the below ground floor about the history of the Easter Show / agriculture in Parramatta (I think, based on a quick lunch time walkthrough).

I really like how that building behind Phive complements the shape too, and they look good when viewed from a street or two back to the north as well.

Last edited:

Suitman

Post Whore
Love the Jay Dog.

I think that the Phive is an iconic building that deserves better. Indeed both the Phive and it’s neighbour to the north seemingly are designed to capture light, but are dwarfed / blocked by a boring glass tower. So whilst I fully appreciate the design of Phive, it’s a shame that planning did not use it as a focal point.
View attachment 68422

View attachment 68423

Everything about the Plaza has been about sunshine into the public spaces.
If you look at the designs for the Metro OSD's immediately to the north, they also take into account over-shadowing in PSQ, with their step down in heights.

1669530011461.png

PARRA_FAN

Coach
You make a fair point @Gronk

I too have wondered why we need this extension of the Parra Light Rail considering we have the City - Parramatta Metro already under construction.
I'm guessing that this light rail will instigate further development along the river from Rydalmere to West Ryde through Melrose Park /Meadowbank.
South St/Boronia st is a wasteland atm. No doubt, the area will be re-classified to medium/high density housing which will eventually revitalize the area from industrial slum to riverside living. A bit like around the ferry terminal at Meadowbank.

I've seen it happening around the NW Metro stations. The amount of development around Showground station atm (near me) is incredible. Sydney cannot keep sprawling. We have to consolidate existing areas, and this is a very unusual example of getting it right. Provide the infrastructure first and develop afterwards.

Sydney does not always get it right though. North Kellyville is the perfect example. Thousands of houses going in, yet the local roads are more than a disgrace. They are diabolical.

That's pretty much everywhere in Sydney. I drive through a new area in Sydney with new houses, the houses looked alright but the roads are so small its like a one way street.

Latest posts