What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parramatta Stadium Rebuild and other stuff

strider

Post Whore
I think the 15 minute city thing has a nice warm fuzzy feel about it.
I have fond memories as a kid staying with my grandmother in Campsie, walking to the shops in Beamish St with the granny trolley. Being able to get nearly all things you want - shoe shops, clothes shops, banks, etc etc.

Alot of that went away and shifted to large mall oriented stuff which IMO is crowded and awful but i understand it makes sense from a retail perspective.

That was an older part of sydney. Where i grew up in the Hills it was nearly all just malls.

Are they really going to shift back to more localised stuff? It seems local shopping strips are more just cafes, takeaway food, hair, junk shops, maybe some dentists and doctors. I realise things like shopping and banking has largely switched online, but i reckon people still have a need for it in person.

You cant build a tonne of malls. I dont see them building alot more services like hospitals - its endless stories about over run hospitals.

I can understand why there is a skeptical view on the whole thing too.
If you read some things out there, the 15 minutes is not by car - its walking or biking. You cant go far in 15 minutes on foot. And bikes are impractical for many things.

I've seen a Schwab video where his vission is that no one has cars. What does that suggest? You need to walk/ride or use some form of common transport to do anything? What if your mum lives on the other side of the city - you have to catch 10 different forms of public transport to get there? ... or would they rather you all live in high rises close to eachother? Is that a life we want? ... if you dont get to have your own car, does it give others the opportunity to control what you can do? ... why does their vision also involve a f**kload of video survailence? ... does someone like him and others get to push it? What is his/their right to having the power to influence such thing? Being rich?

There is an ad on tv from Toyota ... about Woven City - its a real thing they are apparently building - and i assume they are showing us as a vision for other places (or they are just massive virtue signallers) ... everyone sees toyota as a car company right? Im sure they have fingers in other pies, but they are predominantly a car company ... The ad is an animation - has pretty much no cars in it. Shows a woman get on a driverless mini bus sized thing. ... so someone has convinced toyota to be not a car company and spread the word that their vision is carless/car-limited (EVs and you dont need one of your own) .... climate oriented? ... something else?

Anyway ... i think people DO let their minds run a bit with these things .... but i also think there is plenty of legit shit out there making people concerned and that its just as f**ked to just dismiss it as bullshit crazy people.

TheRam

Coach
Is that the main issue you have with this 15 min city stuff? That people will become prisoners in the own village and things like climate change will be used as reason to control people and make it difficult for them to leave? Or is it more than that?

I watched the video with a critical eye and think I have a pretty good understanding of the "truther movement" (as you call it), but I think there are some truths that said movement are ignoring.

I feel like a '15-min city' is a different label for something that has been happening for decades in city planning. The idea of having services (parks, shops, transport, hospitals etc) closely located to several population centres within a larger urban metropolis isn't new. As a city grows and more houses are built it is critical that these important services are incorporated into new developments. There are past examples of where that hasn't occurred and it is a recipe for very poor social outcomes.

I also think that as a result of COVID-19 it is critical to rethink how we plan, design and adaptively manage our cities. Putting aside any comments about whether it was real or the lockdowns were warranted I think its clear that the majority of people like having the ability to work from home. If there are more people at home for longer periods, then you are forced to look at the provision of new and improved services in existing suburbs and reconsider the notion of a 'CBD'.

Spoken like a child that thinks that the big bad wolf is heating up the oven to warm the house and those sharp big white teeth are for a great smile.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
It's certainly an issue I have with it. Will they (WEF and all the other members of the same gang) ever achieve it? Who knows? I do believe that is how they'd like it to be though.
Why is that?

The idea of the 15 min city is 15 mins by foot or bike. I.E. you will be forbidden from driving or even owning a car. If that happens, where you are able to go will be controlled by some "Authority Figure". If they don't want you to leave, you will be denied access to the only means of doing so. Who cares if the hospital is 15 or 20 mins away. By car. Big deal.
I think there is a difference between wanting to reduce the number of cars in a city and forbidding people from using or owning them. There are pretty powerful road and automobile lobby groups with vested interests in keeping cars on roads and significant ongoing investment in road infrastructure. They are the reason that we moved away from 15 minute cities decades ago and will be reluctant to concede much.

Has anyone important actually said that cars will be forbidden or is that just a prediction?

Edit: Just saw Strider say that Schwab said it. Schwab is a knob.

You want to talk about poor social outcomes? Plenty of poor social outcomes already exist in places where all the things you list are within a 15 min walk or bike ride. Having the amenities you describe does not fix poor social outcomes.
Thats an argument in the margins. If you were to take all of the places that had access to parks, hospitals, shops, transport etc and compared them to all the places that didn't who would have the better overall social outcomes? The people with or the people without?

Why would I put aside comments about whether it was real or if the lockdowns were warranted when I am of the opinion that it was all deliberately done to expediate the goals and objectives of the Globalist One World Order being dreamed up and slowly implemented by someone who makes the worst Bond villain look like a f**king kindergarten kid?
Because if you did, you might have acknowledged that many people are happy with the idea of spending more time at home. That was the point I was trying to make.

These f**ks would like to chip your brain and permanently connect you to a network FFS!
Don't make me find the vid of Uncle Klaus saying so please because I'm sure I could only source that from somewhere I'd rather not but here is some nice literature about it , direct from our old mates at the WEF.
computer chip for brain – Search results | World Economic Forum
I worry about the rapid advancement of technology, in particular AI.

So, in closing - all I was trying to do was to highlight a few reasons why there might be some merit in some of the concepts underpinning the 15-min city concept along with some drivers that require past aspects of city planning to be reconsidered. Thats all.

Having said that, I know that governments can be influenced by powerful figures and the level and control adopted during COVID with lockdowns etc was confronting to many.

Strider made the point that one man's 'conspiracy theory' can quickly become their reality and I think thats true (to a degree).

TheRam

Coach
You could learn from Stoppa. At least he can argue his case sensibly.

The only sensible thing to do at this point is take back the judicial system and make it for the people again, then start arresting in my opinion all these treasonous globalists, put them on trial and if found guilty of the high crimes that I and millions of others in the world believe they are guilty of publicly hang the lot of them. And believe you me there are thousands of them at this point. You don't get to this point without the collaboration of thousands in every sphere of business and Governments.

What are these crimes you will ask most probably? Fu*k off...we have and others have spoken about this sh*t for years now. Round and around we go. The time is for arrests, legal and fair courts and if guilty hangings. End of!

Or we will be in a prison planet faster then you apologists and cognitive predictive gullible children even realise. The world is changing and these guys don't like you, in fact they want you gone.

Suitman

Post Whore
Sorry Suity. I didn't realise what thread I was in. I won't post about this shit in this thread any more. cheers.

No problem with discussion about 15 minute cities. That's all infrastructure related and worthy of debate.
It's the whacky "they want to implant microchips into our brains if they could" shite that I find hard to comprehend and not relative to the topic.
Anyway, it ain't "my" thread, so knock yourselves out fellas.

Suitman

Post Whore
It’s six kilometres from the city and has three train lines. But maximising housing in this Sydney suburb is impossible
Michael Koziol

ByMichael Koziol
December 2, 2023 — 5.00am

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw...ney-suburb-is-impossible-20231108-p5eihy.html

If you are Premier Chris Minns, hungry for places to build homes near transport, Sydenham is a sitting duck. Just six kilometres from the city, and a junction on three train lines, it is one of the best-connected locations in Sydney, surrounded by low-density housing, warehouses and, these days, breweries.

Consequently, the existing infrastructure is under-utilised. There were about 200,000 tap-ons at Sydenham station in October - less than Kogarah, Liverpool or Ashfield, and on par with Milsons Point. From next year, the T3 line will become a Metro, with services to the city and north every four minutes.

1701472865243-png.6314775

The Wicks Place development on Victoria Road in Marrickville is just under one kilometre from Sydenham station.
CREDIT: DION GEORGOPOULOS.

But it’s not straightforward. The Marrickville side of the station is zoned as industrial land, while Sydenham itself is directly under the flight path, which means lots of aircraft noise and limits on how tall you can build.

The NSW government was reportedly examining Sydenham for housing uplift among a number of other precincts around forthcoming Metro stations. But realistically, what can be done there?

Tainted history

On July 27, 2018, the then Coalition state government made a fateful decision. It abandoned a plan known as the Sydenham to Bankstown Urban Renewal Corridor Strategy - which was to provide for 35,000 homes along the forthcoming Metro line - amid political pressure and community backlash.

People had been particularly upset about plans by developer Mirvac for 2616 units in a string of 20 buildings on Carrington Road in Marrickville, some up to 35 storeys, submitted in May 2017.

1701473067606-png.6314785

The proposal by Mirvac for 2616 units in high-rise towers on Carrington Road scared the horses for the entire Sydenham to Bankstown strategy.

Leading the charge were the Labor MPs of Sydney’s Inner West; none other than Anthony Albanese, who called it “greed gone mad”, Jo Haylen, who labelled it “simply absurd”, and mayor Darcy Byrne, who said Mirvac “seems to have confused south Marrickville with downtown Hong Kong”.
[oh, the irony]

cont. link ^^^

Dunno. You tell us. You'd have to be tje expert on having multiple accounts.
For my next account, I'm thinking of posting entirely in the style of Britney Spears !!! You know, how she always adds three exclamation marks after every sentence in her insta posts !!! I think that would be kinda cool !!!

Eelogical

Referee
No problem with discussion about 15 minute cities. That's all infrastructure related and worthy of debate.
It's the whacky "they want to implant microchips into our brains if they could" shite that I find hard to comprehend and not relative to the topic.
Anyway, it ain't "my" thread, so knock yourselves out fellas.
It's actually a topic that could feature more in our not too distant future. The jury is still out on the trial in Oxford. Then we have the possibility of ULEZ type scenarios happening here for us to contend with. I find it quite scary with the ways things are headed - AI being at the top of the list. It poses an interesting quandary for our future generations.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
What a shemozzle.
I know you aren’t a fan of the Gabba upgrade, but with the olympics coming I’m not sure they had an alternative.

I know it’s a shitload of money but the infrastructure improvements that will occur in SE QLD over the next 8 years will be massive. Brisbane will become a world class city. Every time I visit I’m blown away by how much it is changing.

King-Gutho94

Coach
I read today Cricket Queensland and Brisbane Lions are blowing up deluxe about being asked to foot some of the bill for something they didn't ask for by the QLD government for being moved out for 4 years.

Seems like this Gabba rebuild will be a financial mess.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
I read today Cricket Queensland and Brisbane Lions are blowing up deluxe about being asked to foot some of the bill for something they didn't ask for by the QLD government for being moved out for 4 years.

Seems like this Gabba rebuild will be a financial mess.
Short term pain for long term gain. They will have three quality stadiums within throwing distance of the CBD. Add in the Brisbane Live venue at Roma St and the connectivity between the venues that Cross River Rail offers and you start to have something pretty impressive.

Suitman

Post Whore
I know you aren’t a fan of the Gabba upgrade, but with the olympics coming I’m not sure they had an alternative.

I know it’s a shitload of money but the infrastructure improvements that will occur in SE QLD over the next 8 years will be massive. Brisbane will become a world class city. Every time I visit I’m blown away by how much it is changing.

What is a little frustrating though is that all the announcements and funding are favouring AFL/Cricket and oval stadiums. There is Rugby 7'S at these Olympics but I don't see any rectangular stadium upgrades (Dolphins? Lang Park?).

Why can't the Lions and cricket just move to the Gold Coast (Carrara) during this period as a temporary measure?
Why spend so much money on the Brisbane Showground for it to be used for just a few years?
I agree with Eelo.

Latest posts