What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parramatta Stadium Rebuild and other stuff

King-Gutho94

Coach
Short term pain for long term gain. They will have three quality stadiums within throwing distance of the CBD. Add in the Brisbane Live venue at Roma St and the connectivity between the venues that Cross River Rail offers and you start to have something pretty impressive.
That's true I think the sporting bodies were caught off guard being asked to foot some of the bill for being displaced. When it probably wasn't in the initial agreement.

In terms of the Lions and AFL well they can suffer in there jocks they have had benefits off the government all across the country with facilities and stadiums.

Eelogical

Referee
I know you aren’t a fan of the Gabba upgrade, but with the olympics coming I’m not sure they had an alternative.

I know it’s a shitload of money but the infrastructure improvements that will occur in SE QLD over the next 8 years will be massive. Brisbane will become a world class city. Every time I visit I’m blown away by how much it is changing.
Would you not agree that demolishing the Gabba for a 6K seating upgrade for 2.7+ billion dollar is a great idea? Nobody here wants the f**king Olympics anyway. QLD seems to be all about the south east corner, it's as if the rest of the state doesn't exist. I know you're looking at the bigger picture but it doesn't resonate with a lot of merkins when there are far more important issues at hand.

King-Gutho94

Coach
What is a little frustrating though is that all the announcements and funding are favouring AFL/Cricket and oval stadiums. There is Rugby 7'S at these Olympics but I don't see any rectangular stadium upgrades (Dolphins? Lang Park?).

Why can't the Lions and cricket just move to the Gold Coast (Carrara) during this period as a temporary measure?
Why spend so much money on the Brisbane Showground for it to be used for just a few years?
I agree with Eelo.
Tbf as a cricket fan the AFL has probably helped them out in some ways but also disadvantaged them at the same time.

Most of the wickets in the country are now drop ins because of the bloody AFL.

I imagine with the rebuild the Gabba will go down the route of a drop in wicket like the MCG, Adelaide and the new Perth stadium.

That's leaves SCG as the only cricket ground in the country with a true pitch.

And the curreent Gabba wicket is regarded as the best in the world with its bounce and pace that is fair for bat and ball if you work the conditions correct.

The late great Shane Warne even said he loved bowling there as the bounce helped him with his spin.

I wonder if the go to a drop in pitch it will make the Gabba a different wicket then what it is now.

Suitman

Post Whore
Tbf as a cricket fan the AFL has probably helped them out in some ways but also disadvantaged them at the same time.

Most of the wickets in the country are now drop ins because of the bloody AFL.

I imagine with the rebuild the Gabba will go down the route of a drop in wicket like the MCG, Adelaide and the new Perth stadium.

That's leaves SCG as the only cricket ground in the country with a true pitch.

And the curreent Gabba wicket is regarded as the best in the world with its bounce and pace that is fair for bat and ball if you work the conditions correct.

The late great Shane Warne even said he loved bowling there as the bounce helped him with his spin.

I wonder if the go to a drop in pitch it will make the Gabba a different wicket then what it is now.

TBF, the AFL can gf'ed.
You are right. They have assisted cricket with stadium upgrades, but they have also destroyed cricket with drop in carpets and the formerly unique test pitches all around the country.
God forbid they ever touch the SCG.

King-Gutho94

Coach
TBF, the AFL can gf'ed.
You are right. They have assisted cricket with stadium upgrades, but they have also destroyed cricket with drop in carpets and the formerly unique test pitches all around the country.
God forbid they ever touch the SCG.
I had to laugh there was an article during the week where Australia and England have agreed to play a test in Melbourne in March 2027 as a celebration of 150 year anniversary to the day of the 1st ever test match.

So it's all agreed upon but waiting for the AFL to sign off as Cricket and AFL have an agreement where cricket basically give the ground to the AFL in the 2nd week of march until first week of October after AFL GF.

Like seriously it's the MCG which stands for Melbourne Cricket Ground not the Melbourne Aussie Rules Ground.

Wtf did Cricket ever give away the use of the ground down there and all the power to the AFL.

Whatever muppet in CA down there signed off on that years ago should be hung out to dry.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
What is a little frustrating though is that all the announcements and funding are favouring AFL/Cricket and oval stadiums. There is Rugby 7'S at these Olympics but I don't see any rectangular stadium upgrades (Dolphins? Lang Park?).

Why can't the Lions and cricket just move to the Gold Coast (Carrara) during this period as a temporary measure?
Why spend so much money on the Brisbane Showground for it to be used for just a few years?
I agree with Eelo.
That’s a fair point. I forgot about the toothless wonders in Redcliffe.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Would you not agree that demolishing the Gabba for a 6K seating upgrade for 2.7+ billion dollar is a great idea? Nobody here wants the f**king Olympics anyway. QLD seems to be all about the south east corner, it's as if the rest of the state doesn't exist. I know you're looking at the bigger picture but it doesn't resonate with a lot of merkins when there are far more important issues at hand.
That’s true. I’m in the minority on the olympics. Most people couldn’t give a f**k but I’m excited by it.

Plenty of people up here complaining about investment being prioritised in SE QLD. QLD has a large regional population so it may well be Labor’s undoing at the election next year.

I see myself moving back to Brisbane at some point. Every time I am down there for work it feels like home. Was at Howard Smith Wharves last week for the first time in approx. 4 years. It’s f**ken amazing now.

Eelogical

Referee
That’s true. I’m in the minority on the olympics. Most people couldn’t give a f**k but I’m excited by it.

Plenty of people up here complaining about investment being prioritised in SE QLD. QLD has a large regional population so it may well be Labor’s undoing at the election next year.

I see myself moving back to Brisbane at some point. Every time I am down there for work it feels like home. Was at Howard Smith Wharves last week for the first time in approx. 4 years. It’s f**ken amazing now.
The complainants have a case. Anybody who has driven the National Highway 1 (Gulf Development Rd) would realise how much that area is neglected. Basic infrastructure like electricity and communications are still in the stone age. No wonder they don’t feel like they are part of QLD.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
The complainants have a case. Anybody who has driven the National Highway 1 (Gulf Development Rd) would realise how much that area is neglected. Basic infrastructure like electricity and communications are still in the stone age. No wonder they don’t feel like they are part of QLD.
Aye, Karumba!

Suitman

Post Whore
So, a week after the Rozelle Interchange has opened, a lot has come out of it.

- Finally dopey drivers realised that the Iron Cove Tunnel was free and started using it. That improved things somewhat. I accept that the blame for the initial apprehension was due to the poor signage and communication from the govt.

- Anyone from the Balmain peninsular (with all due respect to @TS Quint) that are heading to the city should be catching public transport. Notwithstanding school drop offs.

- People can pay a toll if they do not want to sit in traffic for 90 minutes.

- The future metro will alleviate a lot of these issues.

What this week has told us is that we can spend an inordinate amount of money on motorways (which is sort ok), but we really need to spend more money on metros and public transportation, to encourage people to get off the roads.

The current State Labor policy of a $60 cap on weekly road tolls only encourages more people to drive and further congest our roads and motorways. A truly dumbarse policy.

Last edited:

Suitman

Post Whore
https://www.smh.com.au/politics/nsw...spaghetti-junction-chaos-20231203-p5eomy.html

"Transport for NSW will start emergency work to add extra lane space to the City West Link in a desperate bid to ease traffic snarls created by Sydney’s new spaghetti junction, but motorists will still have a week of pain before the changes are felt.

The urgent work, which will start overnight on Sunday, will add a second lane for a 400-metre stretch where the City West Link merges with the new Crescent Overpass before the Anzac Bridge.

Traffic engineers say the measure will provide more space for cars to merge safely closer to the Anzac Bridge and will improve flow onto the bridge, but will not create a complete second lane."

T.S Quint

Coach
- Anyone from the Balmain peninsular (with all due respect to @TS Quint) that are heading to the city should be catching public transport. Notwithstanding school drop offs.

Most do catch buses (or ferries) to the city from here, including me. I'll be f**ked if I'm driving in, trying to find parking, paying for parking, working out which steet is one way and which way it goes, etc, when I can sit on a bus for less maybe 10 minutes (usually).

If people from here are driving in the car, it's because they are working or going to school elsewhere, possibly out west, south or eastern suburbs, both of which we need to access Victoria Rd to get to. There seems to have been a huge underestimation as to how many cars flow through this section of road. There is a huge bottleneck where 4 lanes merge into one and it's causing disaster. At least they are trying to fix it quickly, although I'm sceptical as to whether it can actually be done without spending more millions.

T.S Quint

Coach
The current State Labor policy of a $60 cap on weekly road tolls only encourages more people to drive and further congest our roads and motorways. A truly dumbarse policy.

I can't completely agree with this point.
There are plenty of people who actually do need to drive a car places, every day, and public transport is not an option.

For example, I used to live in Campbelltown. I worked in Annandale. To travel there every day by public transport would mean catching a bus to the train station, then catching either one train to Central and then another bus, or two trains to get to Petersham and then walk another 25-30 minutes to work. It just wasn't feasible. I had to drive.

This new interchange would have perfect for me in that situation, as it would have been a trip along the M5, then into the M8 tunnel and emerging at the Rozelle Interchange and straight into Annandale. I wouldn't have been able to afford it without the $60 cap.

Then you've got tradies who have to carry tools and shit, people who have to go to multiple places in the same day, delivery drivers, etc. These people catch catch public transport and we need them in the tunnels to get them off the regular streets and clogging up traffic there.

I am a huge fan of public transport. It's my first option usually, but sometimes driving a car is just more convenient. I drive out to Eels games usually becuase it takes a fraction of the time catching the train does (although I'm looking forward to The Bays Metro opening up eventually).

TheRam

Coach
So, a week after the Rozelle Interchange has opened, a lot has come out of it.

- Finally dopey drivers realised that the Iron Cove Tunnel was free and started using it. That improved things somewhat. I accept that the blame for the initial apprehension was due to the poor signage and communication from the govt.

- People can pay a toll if they do not want to sit in traffic for 90 minutes.

What this week has told us is that we can spend an inordinate amount of money on motorways (which is sort ok), but we really need to spend more money on metros and public transportation, to encourage people to get off the roads.

Agreed on the spending way more on metros and public transport but disagree on public road tolls. There are ways to build all sorts of infrastructure at zero cost to the public and also not use private money, you know what Mussolini called Fascism(PPP).

China does it all the time with their internal currency and they build whole cities. We used to do it and even historical finance author Ellen Brown speaks to Australia's early years and how we were thriving under a similar system and as an example we came out of WWI debt free while our overlords England at the time accumulated billions in debt that took them decades and many years where they had to suspend payments, but they just paid it totally off in 2015. Yes 2015. https://www.cnbc.com/2015/03/09/uk-finally-finishes-paying-for-world-war-i.html

We could build infrastructure by simply opening a State Bank(or Federal) and by the people being the asset raise the capital through interest free bonds backed by you know 'the people' and it would be all interest free and billions of it. Remember Government can do whatever it wants in this regard and Government bonds are/is money. Ellen Brown wrote a book on it a few years ago now called 'Web of Debt: The Shocking Truth about Our Money System and How We Can Break Free.' North Dakoda is the only State in American now that still does this and they build things all the time that cost the people of that State nothing and they do it in a very small and basic way. It can be done a whole lot better. But guess what conspiracies exist kiddies, they are not just some scary horror story from a children's book. Real grownups know they are real and they are all around us.

Wake the fu*k up or you will die mother fu*kers! These monsters are real and they are not your freakin friends.

Sorry I got carried away just then. But it gets very frustrating telling people the same sh*t over and over again, while most people just accept playing in the sh*t filled sand box that the globalist have placed us all in as normal and we play by their slave creating rules, when if we stepped out of the toxic sand box there would be a whole new and abundant world we can live and thrive in.

Plato's Cave. The dude wrote about it all those thousands of years ago but we are still in that fu*king cave. Un-fu*king believable.

Look up the British Bradbury Pound that was issued by Great Britain at the very start of WWI interest free, the Government initially panicked when war broke out and started to immediately issue interest free money so as they could fight the war, but obviously then the private Bankers couldn't have that. What a war and we the jackals of society make no profit? Ha...no freakin way?! So a couple of months into the war, guess what? Parliament decided to fight the war by ceasing the Bradbury Pound and issuing Government bonds instead that the bankers could then make some interest on. Ha...now why would you do that? Remember we Australia did what the Bradbury pound was for Britain for our entire war effort and saved our nation from total economic disaster and we actually ended the war with a $20m surplus, yes surplus. But then by the early 1920's the bankers got in and changed the way the old Commonwealth Bank(our central bank back then) worked and stopped it from ever being able to raise capital that way, interest free again. Can't have a young upstart showing the rest of the world how to do it properly and be debt free ffs! Bad Australia. Spanky time and don't you ever do that again or else.

Anyway Ellen's Book is on Amazon if you or anyone else is interested. Sorry for the out burst mate, it's not directed at anyone, just frustration.

There was even a Bradbury Pound petition a few years ago that obviously went nowhere.

84 Baby

Referee
North west metro is good but I’ve caught the Sydney light rail a few times now and it is woeful. My biggest peeve with it is these things have set schedules yeah? So why when you leave Central, travelling a couple hundred metres at snail pace then have to stop at a set of f**ken traffic lights? Surely it isn’t too difficult to have it so the train leaves the station which triggers the signal to start change over so train can go straight through? A light rail shouldn’t be stopping anywhere except a station.

Suitman

Post Whore
North west metro is good but I’ve caught the Sydney light rail a few times now and it is woeful. My biggest peeve with it is these things have set schedules yeah? So why when you leave Central, travelling a couple hundred metres at snail pace then have to stop at a set of f**ken traffic lights? Surely it isn’t too difficult to have it so the train leaves the station which triggers the signal to start change over so train can go straight through? A light rail shouldn’t be stopping anywhere except a station.

I agree. The Light rail is painfully slow in many sections. The section you refer to is just one such section. The approach and departure at Circular Quay is another.
It does however have traffic light triggers and the few times I have used it, this seems to work sort of ok.
When it first opened, the L2/L3 times were about 38 minutes. They've got them down to about 33/34 mins, but it most certainly could still do better.