What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parramatta Stadium Rebuild and other stuff

Eelogical

Referee
1981 pic. Anyone remember this? I always had a lot of time for Paul Taylor.

1981PaulTaylor.jpg

forward pass

Coach
1981 pic. Anyone remember this? I always had a lot of time for Paul Taylor.

1981PaulTaylor.jpg

I don't think I will ever forget that day. I went with my brother (a Roosters supporter) and sat on that elevated wooden seating ie (death trap). It just pissed down non-stop through all 3 grades from memory.

Roosters beat us that day with Hartley refereeing. I do remember the Roosters scoring a penalty try right in front of me - I had no idea what was going on - I had never seen or heard of such a thing.

Suitman

Post Whore
I don't think I will ever forget that day. I went with my brother (a Roosters supporter) and sat on that elevated wooden seating ie (death trap). It just pissed down non-stop through all 3 grades from memory.

Roosters beat us that day with Hartley refereeing. I do remember the Roosters scoring a penalty try right in front of me - I had no idea what was going on - I had never seen or heard of such a thing.

I was the standing in front of the old grandstand. You are right about the rain. It was also quite foggy and cold.
I remember seeing Taylor walk off.

Suity

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
It is like the first Sex Pistols concert. The amount of people who retrospectively attended exceeds the capacity of the venue by a factor of 3 or 4.

Its certainly going to be interesting where the Eels play there home games when the rebuild is taking place.
I suspect that they will all be within 20 kilometres of Parramatta, but it would have been nice to have taken a couple to the bush.

forward pass

Coach
Eels look to Asia.

Parramatta could become the first club to take NRL games to Asia as they search for a new home ground while Pirtek Stadium is revamped.

Work on the ground is expected to begin at the end of this season, and while the Eels are expected to move most of their games at ANZ Stadium for the next three years, CEO John Boulos hasn't ruled out taking matches abroad.

"No one has ventured into Asia," Boulos told News Corp Australia.

"We will certainly look at everything. When you get an opportunity like this it is one you really have to explore."

Canberra and Manly, who have both recently had Asian-backed sponsors, have considered taking a match to China in recent years.

However the logistical challenges it would include made it a bridge too far for both clubs.

"Logistically (Asia) would be very difficult," Boulos admitted.

"You would do it for your club, but also for the game.

"I think everyone has an obligation to grow and develop the game. That's something we're not averse to."

The club currently takes one match a year to Darwin and are expected to make a call on future home grounds within the next few months

https://au.sports.yahoo.com/league/a/30830155/nrl-games-in-asia-parramatta-eels/

phantom eel

First Grade
They just need an investor to make a one-off game in Asia break even, just lik ethe NT Government's money makes our Darwin game possible. Boulous is cannily fishing for this Asia-bound investment on behalf of the game, via his quote.

Broadcast rights holders (e.g. mobile/streaming) who want to grow their product in an overseas market would be the obvious first choice catalyst for expansion - just as sponsor/stakeholder money/interets have always been for expansion of NSWRFL from the Sydney basin over the past 30 or so years.

There are no bush stakeholder with the money to make moving more games there viable. Very few cashed up councils that can front up the bill, and very little in the way of a direct sponsorship result/broadcaster benefit :(.

Latest posts