What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parramatta Stadium Rebuild and other stuff

Suitman

Post Whore
Video of a Sydney trains service and metro train leaving Sydenham station at the same time.
30 seconds later - BOOM.
See ya later suckers.

Gronk

Staff member
I asked a girl in a "ASK ME ! Parramatta Light Rail information" red t-shirt outside Commbank Stadium when it would start. She said she didn't know.

Excuse Me What GIF by Bounce

Suitman

Post Whore

What I don't get is why they announced anything at all today.
Sure, they said August yet didn't announce a date. Why say anything?
It was just political grandstanding and an empty announcement due to the fact that it has been delayed for so long. They had to put something out there to get it back into the media, which has succeeded listening to news broadcasts today. I understand that but truly no one is any the wiser today regarding an opening date.

However, I will certainly give Chris Minns very much credit for his statement today that former opposition leaders Gladys and Mike Baird will also be invited to the opening. And so they should be. If it wasn't for them, Chris and Jo wouldn't be cutting ribbons for the most groundbreaking infrastructure improvements this city has seen since Bradfield. It's a nice touch from Minns, and I always hoped this would happen.
I truly and honestly think that Minns is a decent bloke with good intentions for NSW.

Despite my dismay regarding his initial delays to metro infrastructure, demanding inquiries into current metros, the currently U/C WS METRO and cancelling planning for future extensions of other lines, I truly think his heart is in the right place. I particularly like him currently standing up to local Nimby's who are fighting against increased residential densification around railway and metro stations. Particularly KGC. There is a housing shortage ffs and the best place to increase housing density is around public transport hubs. Chris understands this and is pushing hard. I like that.

Gronk

Staff member
What I don't get is why they announced anything at all today.
Sure, they said August yet didn't announce a date. Why say anything?
It was just political grandstanding and an empty announcement due to the fact that it has been delayed for so long. They had to put something out there to get it back into the media, which has succeeded listening to news broadcasts today. I understand that but truly no one is any the wiser today regarding an opening date.

However, I will certainly give Chris Minns very much credit for his statement today that former opposition leaders Gladys and Mike Baird will also be invited to the opening. And so they should be. If it wasn't for them, Chris and Jo wouldn't be cutting ribbons for the most groundbreaking infrastructure improvements this city has seen since Bradfield. It's a nice touch from Minns, and I always hoped this would happen.
I truly and honestly think that Minns is a decent bloke with good intentions for NSW.

Despite my dismay regarding his initial delays to metro infrastructure, demanding inquiries into current metros, the currently U/C WS METRO and cancelling planning for future extensions of other lines, I truly think his heart is in the right place. I particularly like him currently standing up to local Nimby's who are fighting against increased residential densification around railway and metro stations. Particularly KGC. There is a housing shortage ffs and the best place to increase housing density is around public transport hubs. Chris understands this and is pushing hard. I like that.
Coincidentally I was told by a merkin that “testing” would delay the opening of both the Metro and the Eels Light Rail until just before the Local Government Elections.

Suitman

Post Whore
Coincidentally I was told by a merkin that “testing” would delay the opening of both the Metro and the Eels Light Rail until just before the Local Government Elections.

I also read about that and it wouldn't surprise me.
Politicians eh?
Who would have thunk it?

Suitman

Post Whore
From the Sydney Metro website.

Full speed ahead as trial running starts on the new city section of the Sydney Metro City & Southwest project

Testing has reached its final stages, ahead of city-shaping metro services starting in August from Chatswood, below the Sydney CBD and out to Sydenham.

After more than a year of intensive testing and commissioning of the new infrastructure, including the new tunnels, trains and stations, our operations and maintenance partner Metro Trains Sydney (MTS) will now begin the ‘Trial Running’ phase – a crucial step in achieving accreditation before passenger services commence.

In the Trial Running phase, MTS will prepare for operations by running a range of field-based scenarios across the line and stations, which are designed to imitate real-life timetable services and operational situations.

This will involve running the trains to a timetable, to ensure they are reliable, practising operational processes and procedures, as well as replicating emergency exercises to assess the response to unplanned situations.

Trial Running follows the completion of integration testing between the existing Metro North West Line and the new city section of Sydney Metro City & Southwest, demonstrating the trains, signalling and station systems are all working together and functioning seamlessly along the length of the line.

Since the rigorous testing and commissioning program started in April 2023, more than 9,000 hours of a total of 11,000 hours of required testing has been completed along the 51.5-kilometre line from Tallawong to Sydenham. 

When world-class metro services extend beyond Chatswood and into the city this year, passengers will benefit from fully accessible, safe and direct public transport services with record travel times in the peak, including from:

· Martin Place to Waterloo in six minutes

· Sydenham to Macquarie University in 33 minutes

· Central to Chatswood in 15 minutes

· North Sydney’s Victoria Cross under the harbour to Barangaroo in three minutes.

www.sydneymetro.info

Full speed ahead as trial running starts on the new city section of the Sydney Metro City & Southwest project | Sydney Metro

Testing has reached its final stages, ahead of city-shaping metro services starting in August from Chatswood, below the Sydney CBD and out to Sydenham.
www.sydneymetro.info
www.sydneymetro.info

Gronk

Staff member

New transport links ready to criss-cross Parramatta as Light Rail testing reaches halfway mark​

A missing link on the popular new Alfred Street walking and cycling path will be filled, thanks to a $5.3 million investment from the Minns Labor Government.

It comes as testing on Parramatta Light Rail officially passes the halfway mark, which, combined with the new Alfred Street walking and cycling link, will secure smoother and more connected journeys in the growing CBD than ever before.

Once complete, the safe separated cycleway will connect students from Rosehill Public and Maronite College of the Holy Family to the new Alfred Street Bridge, a $19 million connection across the Parramatta River.

The project includes new trees, to keep people walking and cycling cool in summer, and lighting upgrades to ensure crossing points and the path remain safe at night.

The investment is part of a $60 million Get NSW Active grants round, launched today by the NSW Government.

It features two key construction projects in Parramatta and design funding for a third. A total of 37 projects across Greater Sydney have received $35.1 million in funding. An additional $24.9 million has been allocated to design and build new projects in regional NSW.

Passengers in Western Sydney are a step closer to using their new active transport links to pedal over the Parramatta River and wheel their bike onto a 45-metre-long light rail vehicle, which come equipped with 4 bike spots.

The Parramatta Light Rail testing milestone means the project is on track to welcome passengers in the coming months.

Up to eight trams are being tested at a time, seven days a week, with the performance of each vehicle being monitored closely while drivers get familiar with the alignment, including when crowds are heading to major events at CommBank Stadium.

The trams are travelling along the full alignment from Carlingford to Westmead, stopping at all 16 stops and crossing 23 intersections. Load testing is now complete, which saw more than 1500 sandbags placed on board to represent the weight of a full load of 400 passengers.

The extensive testing and commissioning program started in December 2023 to ensure the vehicles and network are functioning safely and reliably.

The community is reminded to stop, listen and look around when walking, riding or driving near the light rail.

When the light rail is fully operational, passengers will have access to services approximately every 7.5 minutes in peak periods.

This is all part of the Minns Labor Government’s plan to build better communities for NSW. To ensure we’re creating and building on well-connected, well-serviced neighbourhoods.

A plan to build a better NSW.

For more information, visit the Parramatta Light Rail webpage.

Quotes attributable to Transport Minister Jo Haylen MP:

“It’s all happening in Parramatta.

“Tram testing has passed 50% mark and will add to the growing number of ways people can travel around the Parramatta CBD.

“While Parramatta Light Rail Stage 1 gets closer to completion, other projects are now underway. Our investment in the Alfred Street walking and cycling link will make it safer and easier for kids and families to ride their bikes.

“The bicycle spots in the new trams will make it easier for people to mix up the way they travel, so you can pedal from home to the nearest light rail stop, then roll straight onto the tram.

“It’s exciting seeing all of this work becoming a reality, I can’t wait to test ride the Alfred Street cycle link when all the work is complete.”

Quotes attributable to Member for Parramatta Donna Davis MP:

“As our city grows, it’s great to see government investment in public and active transport is keeping pace.

“In the coming months, Parramatta will be transformed by the new light rail, plus the investment announced today means it’ll be easier for more people to walk and cycle across our city too.

“Our new walking and cycling paths are already so popular, I can’t wait to see how many people put on their walking shoes or start pushing pedals when they all finally link together.”

Quotes attributable to Parramatta Lord Mayor Pierre Esber:

“We are a step closer to seeing the first passengers travelling on trams in the heart of our City and we’re very excited that Parramatta Light Rail will soon be operational.

“This is a huge win for our community - it means more people can connect to the heart of Greater Sydney with these new transport connections - so people can hop on a bike to get to work, school or for leisure.

“I thank Transport for NSW and their support through the Get NSW Active Program to help create more active transport routes across our City.”

Suitman

Post Whore
You see new stations from 31:XX. Well kinda. Mainly the driverless (?) train fanging it.

I watched that video today. It is certainly fast.
Just look at the Rouse-Kellyville section at the beginning reaching 100 km/h. It's pretty much the same for most of the rest of the line.
I've used the system regularly lately. Despite some SM outrage regarding no driver or guards, there is still plenty of staff around at all times. Both on the platforms and on the trains.
21st century transport finally arriving in Sydney.
Ignore the MSM outrage about the incoming Bankstown line extension and all the turd articles about bus replacements.
It will all be forgotten quickly once it opens and commuters realise what a superior system it is.

Last edited: