What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parramatta to NOT move Dragons blockbuster to Homebush

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/n...ramatta-backflip/story-e6frfgbo-1225834886135

Fans locked out after Parramatta backflip

* February 26, 2010 5:41PM

AS many as 30,000 fans will be locked out of the season opener between Parramatta and the Dragons after the Eels decided not to move the game to ANZ Stadium.

“The board has listened to our members and fans and decided to play our first match of the NRL season at Parramatta Stadium,” Eels CEO Paul Osborne said.

“The penalty was too great to move the game, since Parramatta Stadium were going to impose a $100,000 penalty, on top of the hirers’ fee we were already contracted to pay. To move the match would have cost us almost $200,000.

“Clearly the current arrangement with Parramatta Stadium is onerous and it is difficult to make decisions like this that could benefit the club and its fans. “Now we hope the fans support our players and pack out all our games throughout the season and make them sell-outs.”

Stagger eel

Staff member
it looks like Fitzy has got his way and given his old mob a big f**k you, you're playing it here...

Gaba

First Grade
so it was always about the money not the fans , unlike doust who thought about the fans and not the money when he stayed at koragh

Stagger eel

Staff member
so it was always about the money not the fans , unlike doust who thought about the fans and not the money when he stayed at koragh

yeah mate...he gave the opportunity for dickheads like yourself to come and watch your team play and you reply with that rubbis!!!...f**k you're a moron :lol::lol:

Gaba

First Grade
yeah mate...he gave the opportunity for dickheads like yourself to come and watch your team play and you reply with that rubbis!!!...f**k you're a moron :lol::lol:
i think osbourne jumped the gun and it backfired
Why wont the eels still move it , surely the nrl would help them ,if they want the fans

be interesting to see what rothfield will do

Last edited:

Stagger eel

Staff member
if the eels did want
Why wont the eels still move it , surely the nrl would help then ,if they want the fans

i think osbourne jumped the gun it backfired

who cares what he does? :?

Fein

First Grade

:lol:

Agreed.

f**k Fitzgerald, the prick's gone yet his "legacy" lives on.

Reminds me of a certain prick we had at Souths up until 2006.

Gaba

First Grade
"I want to move it," Osborne said.
"Sometimes you've got to do things that are in the best interests of the game.
"It's going to be a massive game and we want as many fans to be part of it as possible.
"It's the opening to the NRL season and the match is bigger than our individual club.
"It will be a great opportunity for the supporters of both clubs to turn up in numbers."
Had the game remained at Parramatta Stadium, tens of thousands of fans - including schoolchildren with free passes - would have been locked out from a marquee match to mark the opening of the 2010 season.
The issue came to a head the last time the teams played. The Dragons and the NRL refused to shift their semi-final against the Eels from Kogarah Oval, which has a capacity of just 18,000.

It is estimated that decision cost them 30,000 patrons and up to $1 million in revenue.

Osborne slammed the decision at the time, saying clubs could not afford to be knocking back supporters and revenue during a tough financial time for the code. Two weeks later, the Eels-Bulldogs semi-final attracted a crowd of 74,549.
"That played on my mind a bit, the fact that we criticised [the Dragons] last year," Osborne said.

Source: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...ns-blockbuster-to-homebush-20100224-p2n1.html

rest my case

Last edited:

Stagger eel

Staff member
i think osbourne jumped the gun and it backfired
Why wont the eels still move it , surely the nrl would help them ,if they want the fans

they investigated the opportunity to go, they tried to strike a deal with Parramatta trust and they were always going to make it difficult for them to jump, Dennis Fitzgerald sits on the trusts board and was always going to make life hard for Ossie and the club,any numbskull would of realised that, once the story came out.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
:lol:

Agreed.

f**k Fitzgerald, the prick's gone yet his "legacy" lives on.

Reminds me of a certain prick we had at Souths up until 2006.

I believe Denis Fitzgerald is on the Parramatta Stadium Trust board. Not a legacy, but he would have been apart of the decision to hold the Eels to the contract, which they are more then entitled to do.

Theres 3 options that could have come out of this, 1. Parra bite the bullet and take the financial hit by playing the game at ANZ, or 2. the NRL help out and 3. Play the game at Parra.

Either way, im still gonna be there. For those fans that might miss out, should have bought a season ticket.

Fein

First Grade
I believe Denis Fitzgerald is on the Parramatta Stadium Trust board. Not a legacy, but he would have been apart of the decision to hold the Eels to the contract, which they are more then entitled to do.

Theres 3 options that could have come out of this, 1. Parra bite the bullet and take the financial hit by playing the game at ANZ, or 2. the NRL help out and 3. Play the game at Parra.

Either way, im still gonna be there. For those fans that might miss out, should have bought a season ticket.

Who were the parties to this contract in the first place?

Surely Fitzgerald was one?

Why would you set in stone such harsh penalties to take a game elsewhere, for whatever reasons, let alone trying to generate significant additional revenue?

westie

Bench
Me and a bunch of mates had grand plans to head along to a big Sydney blockbuster, most of us as neutrals. We'll now be funding Sydney's evening entertainment industry instead.

Gaba

First Grade
Alot of people owe doust an apology it showed he care more for the fans and team then the money , yes the were looking after the club , but osbourne particular criticise doust not looking after fans.Where it is shown osbourne and eels was more wanting the money then the fans at the game.

Well done to doust and the dragons willing to scarifice money for the fans

Last edited:

Stagger eel

Staff member
Alot of people owe doust an apology it showed he care more for the fans and team then the money , yes the were looking after the club , but osbourne particular criticise doust not looking after fans.Where it is shown osbourne and eels was more wanting the money then the fans at the game.

:lol:..

I'll apologise to him when you finally accept you were beaten fair and square by a better a side week 1 of the finals...

still hurts, doesn't it moron...:lol:

hineyrulz

Post Whore

:lol: You are without doubt the biggest Tard on these forums, well done :thumb

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Who were the parties to this contract in the first place?

Surely Fitzgerald was one?

Why would you set in stone such harsh penalties to take a game elsewhere, for whatever reasons, let alone trying to generate significant additional revenue?

Deal is between the club and the stadium trust which is appointed by the government, but the club is allowed to elect 2 members to the trust board. Fitzy is still one for now and I think the other is our old board chairman, Alan Overton. Both did not leave the club under the best of circumstances and it is likely that they would have made the Eels' job difficult.

Its a contract, 10 games at Parra, 2 at ANZ. The Eels wanted to break the contract, the trust said this is what it will cost ya and the Eels said we cant afford it, which we cant.

Frankly I dont see why we just cant shift one of our other 2 ANZ games to Parra. The game vs Souths could be played at Parra and probably still wont sell out.

Eels Dude

Coach

Utter rubbish. If the Parramatta club didn't stand to LOSE money over this then the game would be played at ANZ. At least Osbourne tried. And how can you claim Doust cared about the fans and Osbourne didn't. You seem to think it's ok for Doust to think about only Dragons fans and not Eels fans, but it's not ok for Osbourne to put Parra fans ahead of your mob.

Maybe Doust could chip in 50 grand to the Parramatta trust to lighten the wound on Parra. If he cared about the fans he'd do that and you could all go to the game at ANZ. Sound fair?

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach

So the majority of Dragons fans like the Black jersey?