What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pathetic Manly Fans

Nice Beaver

First Grade
The solution is simple really, when the Filth are playing order less hot dogs.

Or don't play games at 8:30 at night. But that makes sense so why consider that.......
Anyone who does not think this had a pretty big bearing on the crowd numbers is possibly geniused.
Crap crowd but stupid scheduling does not help matters one little bit.

2. Eradicate home finals completely. If you were good enough in the old days, you came to Sydney and proved it.

Its not the old days.

Anyone remember the 15 odd local buses that were called out of service because the Illawarra Hawks made a pre season final against the West Sydney West Stars? Only for Hawks fans to set fire to West Sydney Banners in the Whitlam centre?

The nature of community has changed... especially in the NRL, fans of a club dont necessarily correlate with a location.

Agreed though. Manly fans are generally piss weak. A Brookvale fixture is more of a night or an evening of nostalgia than it is a genuine following of a brand/football club

Sea_Eagles_Rock

First Grade
yes it has

Manly don't draw crowds and their games don't rate highly

they are hardly supported

they have maybe 5 local juniors in the whole NRL too

they should be punted and bring in the CC Bears. at least they offer something

Funny. Our average crowd was bigger than Parra's for the year with most of the games played at a venue that holds 20k max.

Even Brookvale excluding the moved games had a bigger crowd than Parra Stadium. 12.8k average for the year at Parra, 13.1k at Brookie.

Last edited:

Garts

Bench
The 8.30 timeslot would have had a big impact. In 07 against the Cowboys we got over 32k, in 08 against the warriors in was the same. Hopefully the NRL change the schedule next year.

Last edited:

Eagle_Rocker

Juniors
It was a pathetic crowd no doubt, there were a few reasons which contributed but at the end of the day it wasn't a great look.

But our last two finals at the SFS agaisnt out of town teams showed that we can get a crowd away from Brookie.

Manly vs Cowboys 2007, 32,611
Manly vs Warriors 2008, 32,095

A suggestion which would have helped the crowd figure would be to organise some event buses from the Northern beaches straight to Moore Park and back after the game. Public transport is a real issue when it comes to the Northern Beaches. Also the time slot for the 2 vs 7 match has to be reviewed. The 8:30 kick off (which ends up being closer to 9) is just not family friendly, you can't blame a family for staying at home when it is live on tv.

Unfortunately the media and opposition fans (especially you lot) will just bitch and complain about Manly, the Manly officials will bitch and complain that it wasn't at Brookie, the NRL will stick their heads in the sand and say they were right the whole time, and NOTHING will be done to help boost crowd figures in the future.

Didgi

The 8.30 timeslot would have had a big impact. In 07 against the Cowboys we got over 32k, in 08 against the warriors in was the same. Hopefully the NRL change the schedule next year.

:? Those were GF qualifiers vs week 1 finals, hardly comparable.

Dragoness

Juniors
It was terrible. However when you consider the Friday game only drew 45k, that's 22.5k each team. One of those sides is a merged entity with 2 sets fans, the other the most followed team in the league or close to it. Last night 99% of the crowd was Manly fans but the 8.30 timeslot kept away families, I did not notice many kids at all. If the game was earlier there would have been 20k.

If the Dragons vs Tigers game was played on the Saturday night there would have been another 20K people... If every team signed of on this at the begining of the season then we should all stick with it, you guys agreed to it thinking you would'nt make the top 4 & it would benefit you but now that you have you have a sook... I took my family to a Dragons vs Manly game at Brookvale (from memory it was a Satuday night game) with my 3 kids it was not that bad. Terrible turn up by Manly fans!! you should all be embarrassed!

Garts

Bench
If the Dragons vs Tigers game was played on the Saturday night there would have been another 20K people... If every team signed of on this at the begining of the season then we should all stick with it, you guys agreed to it thinking you would'nt make the top 4 & it would benefit you but now that you have you have a sook... I took my family to a Dragons vs Manly game at Brookvale (from memory it was a Satuday night game) with my 3 kids it was not that bad. Terrible turn up by Manly fans!! you should all be embarrassed!

Please quote where I have been sooking. I have no issue that the game was at the SFS. As for getting another 20k at the Dragons game if it was Saturday, maybe, definitely a chance that would have happened. However if it was at 8.30 I doubt it.

Beachy Eagle

Juniors
:? Those were GF qualifiers vs week 1 finals, hardly comparable.
But people in one of the 50 threads on this issue have stated that it shouldn't matter whether it is an elimination game or not, geez you lot want it both ways, the difference between sat night ad those earlier years was the 8.30 timeslot.

Dragoness

Juniors
Please quote where I have been sooking. I have no issue that the game was at the SFS. As for getting another 20k at the Dragons game if it was Saturday, maybe, definitely a chance that would have happened. However if it was at 8.30 I doubt it.

Well last years Qualifier Dragons vs Tigers (which I attended with the family) I'm sure had an attendance close to 70K.. Well this year even after our pathetic history against Raiders, we even went to a Monday game at Canberra... THATS DEDICATION :)

Dragoness

Juniors
All I am saying is that the rules should be the same for all... It wouldnt be right to have Brookvale home Semi's if the other teams have to play at ANZ.. I hate ANZ...much prefer SFS myself

thommo4pm

Coach
When the same 2 teams played in a week 1 final at Brookvale there were 5,000 more fans. And they certainly weren't Stains fans. Seems Manly fans are more likely to go to Brookvale than Stains fans are to go to Oki Choki.

Beg to differ.
I haven't missed a Dragons semi since 98, and I was at Brooky that night.
There were quite a few thousand Dragons fans that night.

thommo4pm

Coach

If the timeslot is the big killer, why the big crowd at Brooky against us in 2008 in the exact same timeslot?
One of your other supporters claims it wasn't Saints fans who made up the numbers that night.

sting

Bench
Beg to differ.
I haven't missed a Dragons semi since 98, and I was at Brooky that night.
There were quite a few thousand Dragons fans that night.

The '08 semi?

Yeah, there were definitely a large number of dragons fans that night. That would've been an 8.30 kick off as well right? Much harder for supporters from our heartland to get home from Brookie than yours from the SFS.

Although I believe we did have a fair number of buses running from Kogarah iirc. Something Manly really should have organised!